These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: BackTrack / MIDI Mobilizer

midi mobilizer SMF files not compatible with Logic express 9?
by drewscudder on 2010-05-03 17:48:32

I'm getting the following error when trying to import the  SMF from my Midi Mobilizer into Logic express 9;

'can't read SMPTE format'

Am I doing something wrong?  I thought all you had to do was record your midi idea, email it to your computer, and import it into your DAW.

Apparently, there's more too it than that.

Please advise.

RE: midi mobilizer SMF files not compatible with Logic express 9?
by ricksox on 2010-05-07 15:01:02

Hello,

I was looking around the internet as to what that error message indicates in Logic and I found this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2420394&tstart=0

Is this you? If so, how were you able to resolve your issue? Thanks!

Line6Miller

Re: RE: midi mobilizer SMF files not compatible with Logic express 9?
by drewscudder on 2010-05-07 18:35:43

Thanks for your interest in my dilemma Line6Miller, and yes, it is me.

After a long day of research and lots of frustration on the issue, I decided it was not worth the headache.

I solved my problem by getting a return authorization from Amazon.com and sending the Midi Mobilizer back.

Sure I could have been a little more patient, but my I value my time, and if one idea doesn't work like I'd hoped, then it's on to plan B.

I'll eventually go down to the Apple store and see if I can get some answers from someone who's well versed in Logic.

Thanks again,

drewscudder.

RE: midi mobilizer SMF files not compatible with Logic express 9?
by ricksox on 2010-05-10 11:15:55

I'm sorry to hear that. I was not able to reproduce this but if I hear of anyone else having this issue I will continue to investigate.

Lien6Miller

by drewscudder on 2010-05-11 16:03:07

Thanks again Line6miller!

Are you using logic express 9?

Also, I could attach the midi file from the Midi Mobilizer I used, and you might see if your DAW accepts it (if you want to or have the time).

Thanks again!

by murrync on 2010-06-05 16:15:14

I'm having the same problem in Pro Tools; won't accept a MIDI file created on the MIDI Mobilizer, saying it cannot accept "SMPTE Time Code Stamped MIDI Files".   No idea how to solve this.  For now, I was able to open the MIDI file in Quicktime, export from there as a SMF, and it worked - but this is alot of extra steps!

Also, I tried to import it into Cubase LE, and the MIDI Mobilizer-created MIDI file would not import while other (standard) MIDI files imported OK.

Any ideas?

by drewscudder on 2010-06-06 08:02:15

Thanks for sharing your findings murrync!

I'm happy to know it wasn't just me having this problem.

I will try the Quicktime route and see how that works.

I too was able to import non-midi mobilizer files into Logic express 9 without any problems.  So the issue has to be with the files created by the Midi mobilizer.

I don't know why Line6 hasn't picked up on this problem, and I also don't understand why it's so hard to get any direct help from them either.

I got fed up and returned my Midi Mobilizer for a refund.

Re: midi mobilizer SMF files not compatible with Logic express 9?
by murrync on 2010-06-06 09:21:44

Here is what Pro Tools v8 reports when I try to import a MIDI file created via the MIDI Mobilizer:

Pro Tools MIDI Error.png

by murrync on 2010-06-06 10:07:11
Thanks for your note drewscudder.
Apparently the Midi Mobilizer was designed for a specific simple purpose - to record basic midi performance and play it back.  It seems to do that well.  As long as we don't try what the company says it will do, that is, email it and then be able to open it and edit it, it works. 
I emailed a Midi file from the Mobilizer to several friends, and 80% of them couldn't even open the file.  That part of the equation hasn't been mentioned yet. 
I'm just looking at it as a not very expensive new toy and having a little hope that eventually the company will make an effort to respond to the customer.  If not - well, it isn't a big loss - except I'd not buy another product from them. 
Murry

by jimbeam2 on 2010-06-07 15:26:36

I second that with the same 'experience' in Cubase 5 (http://line6.com/community/message/153246#153246)

Idon't risk recording anything until they fix the App. I've also filled a 'bug' report in iTunes.

by jimbeam2 on 2010-06-20 03:35:46

Fixed with the updated Midi Memo app.

by murrync on 2010-06-20 09:07:40

Thanks for the fix by Line6.  Now we hope they will address some of the other issues we submitted to them - specifically allowing us to easily sync MIDI files from our computer to the App.

by drewscudder on 2010-06-20 19:06:59

That's fantastic news.

I'll order one this week.

Thanks for the news of the fix.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.