These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Is this possible? (X3L, axe-fx, variax)
by SkyhighRocks on 2010-05-19 09:11:23

Is there a way to use the X3L as a midi controller for an Axe-FX but also still be able to integrate a variax 300 with the X3L to be able to switch variax patches while switching axe-fx patches?

Re: Is this possible? (X3L, axe-fx, variax)
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-05-19 09:23:26

Hi

The X3 Live will output Program Change from its MIDI output so you can get the X3 Live to control preset changes on your Variax and patch changes on other devices.  The X3 Live isn't really designed as a MIDI Controller, but Program Changes may be all you need.

Nick

by SkyhighRocks on 2010-05-19 09:26:16

Yes, I'd probably mainly need it to switch presets, etc...but how would the variax's sound signal pass through to the axe-fx when using the VDI??

Basically I'd need to do something like this:

Bank 1, button A: clean sound on axe-fx, acoustic on variax

Bank 1, button B: crunch on axe-fx, les paul type patch on variax

and so on...

would one stomp switch both?

by Hey_Joe on 2010-05-19 09:36:35

You can run the 1/4" out of the Variax to your Axe-FX. I use my X3L and Variax with the VDI and use my 1/4" cable vax Out into other gear all the time. I power the guitar and get saved Variax model changes by changing X3L patches - no problem.

by SkyhighRocks on 2010-05-19 09:38:16

run the 1/4" out of the variax and not the X3L? So run 2 cables at once?? Not sure I'm too keen on that...

by silverhead on 2010-05-19 09:45:29

If you don't want to have the Variax sound coloured by the X3 at all, you should use 2 cables. If you only use the VDI cable from the Variax to the X3, and the X3 Outputs to the Axe-FX there will inevitably be some sound colouration by the X3. Using the Variax 1/4"out to the Axe-FX, the X3 VDI to Variax, and X3 midi out to Axe-FX midi-in, you will isolate the X3's role to Variax/Axe-FX patch control only. The sound will be direct from Variax to Axe-FX.

by SkyhighRocks on 2010-05-19 09:50:08

OK, I think I understand. I'd rather have no coloration so that must be the way to go....it's only for 6-8 songs anyway. I can deal with 2 cables plugged into the guitar. Now with the VDI plugged in, will the 1/4" cable still drain the battery?

by Hey_Joe on 2010-05-19 09:50:29

Yep - that's what I'm saying I do...sure you can run out off the X3L's Outputs...I don't have an Axe-Fx...does it have S/DIF IN? Maybe that would lessen the digital - analog - digital impact (from Vax>X3L 1/4" or XLR Output>AXE-FX)...I get far cleaner audio straight out of the Variax as opposed to going out of the Pod, but that's for my set ups and opinion.

just my 2¢ and experience mind you.

by silverhead on 2010-05-19 09:53:38

SkyhighRocks wrote:

.... Now with the VDI plugged in, will the 1/4" cable still drain the battery?

I would remove the Variax battery - it will be powered by the VDI/X3L.

In fact, since you will have the X3L in your setup for at least those 6-8 songs, you may want to just leave the X3L/Vdi connection in place the whole time and dispense with the Variax battery altogether.

by SkyhighRocks on 2010-05-19 09:57:41

thanks guys...I think this will work then

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.