These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

Using EX-1 pedal as a volume boost for lead
by Paultm on 2009-04-02 03:14:46

Hi,

Can anyone share their experience on how easy and effective this pedal is as a volume boost?

I am considering buying one, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Re: Using EX-1 pedal as a volume boost for lead
by KozMcCharlie on 2009-04-02 08:42:53

Really the only way to do this would be to have a compressor (I like the Tube Comp for boosting) or an OD like the Tube Drive set up so that you have very little to no compression or dirt going on and then set up the pedal to take you from unity (or where ever you'd like to start) up to your desired boost level with the level or output control (depending on the model). You'll use up one slot having the comp on all the time, but it can easily be done.

by Paultm on 2009-04-02 09:02:30

Thanks Koz,  I do have room for a Tube comp so I could do that.

What about the Volume Pedal FX? would this work? I just need a smooth uplift.

by kruzty on 2009-04-02 10:12:57

You could use the Volume effect, but at max volume you will only be at unity.  If you want to get louder than unity, you need something that can boost gain (the tube comp is a good one for that).

by KozMcCharlie on 2009-04-02 14:35:23

You could use the volume pedal "model" if you put it after your gains and filters and set it up just like I was saying up there where heel down would be your normal volume and toe down would be your boost, but you're only going to unity gain, as the other poster said. For what you're looking to do, I think that hitting the front end of your amp with a bit more gain usually gives a better result. BTW, as long as your not doing anything more than boosting, you might want to play with the position of the boost and see where you like it best. I tend to run it just before delay and reverb so that everything else is seeing a normal input level, but you might like a little extra gain bumping up overdrives and distortion. It's worth trying a few different ways.

by Paultm on 2009-04-03 05:11:23

So you definitely beleve that this is worth getting right?

by KozMcCharlie on 2009-04-03 05:19:32

Absolutely worth getting. It has replaced my entire pedalboard with the exception of a wah.

by Paultm on 2009-04-03 05:45:18

I already have an M13 but not the EX-1, so if you use the EX-1 that's good enough for me.

Thanks for you help

Paul

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.