These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: ToneCore Development Kit

Dead TCDDK pedal
by neil09 on 2010-06-08 14:19:32

I've just received my Tonecore Development Kit but it appears to be dead.

I tried powering it from a battery at first, but the pedal didn't do anything (no audio through it - the stomp switch didn't make any difference - and yes, I know that it should be pressed all the way down until it clicks).  When I plugged in a PSU (not the Line6 one, but a standard stompbox power supply with the correct connector and output polarity) there was a nasty smell (think electrical things going bad!) and the unit still didn't power on.

I tried again with the battery.  It still won't pass audio through, but I was able to get it into download mode (press the pedal while inserting the input cable), and I was also able to connect it to the pc and download DSP code.  The PC gets an initial reading of the knob and switch states, but it doesn't update.  And still there's no audio through the pedal.

Anyway, it appears to be dead.  I've read similar issues in the forum and I don't think I want this hassle, is there any way to return the pedal for a refund?  I bought it from the Line6 online store.

RE: Dead TCDDK pedal
by ricksox on 2010-06-10 11:41:03

Neil,

Can you tell me the specs of the power supply that you plugged into it specifically? Thanks!

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Dead TCDDK pedal
by neil09 on 2010-06-10 12:05:18

Of course. It's one of these:  http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/11306

10outputs at 9V (100mA - Centre negative).

The TCDDK pedal was the only thing plugged into it at the time.

by ricksox on 2010-06-11 14:54:55

Hello,

Well, the specs don't totally match so I have a feeling that that power supply is the culprit. Based on that, I can't replace the TCDK for free however, I can work out a deal and get you a replacement TCDK at a discount if you'd be interested. Please let me know either way. Thanks.

Lien6Miller

Re: RE: Dead TCDDK pedal
by neil09 on 2010-06-12 00:33:33

As I mentioned above, before trying the power supply, I tried a new 9v battery - the unit didn't work.

How exactly would you expect the power supply to affect the unit in the way described above?

What part of the specs don't match?  And which specs are you using as a basis?

The TCDDK product webpage suggests that the Line6 DC-1G PSU should be used.  According to the product page for the DC-1G, it's supply varies between 6V and 16VDC with 100mA maximum.

The "Line 6 ToneCore DSP Developer Kit (TCDDK) - Users Guide" pdf which installed with the TCDDK software says that the DC adapter should be 9V, 200mA minimum.

The sticker on the bottom of the pedal itself says "9VDC - 70mA minimum"

My PSU has been powered numerous pedals from numerous manufacturers for about 2 years now.  I've never had any issues with it in the past, and it is still working fine with all these other pedals.

I can assure you that I'm not going to accept being fobbed off with your "it's not our fault" response.  I have to say, this is quite appalling customer support.

by ricksox on 2010-06-15 12:45:25

Hi,

I created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Line6Miller

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.