These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Flextone I / II / III / Duoverb / HD147

Two Questions about my new Flextone III XL...need some help
by liewergen on 2009-04-04 05:08:02

First off..........I love the Flextone III XL and just picked up the shortboard.........after about 15 years of searching.....I have found my holy grail!!!!!!  The amp simply rocks and Line6 really hit a HOME RUN here!!!!

1.  I've read that the latest version of line6 edit has some issues like the mic choices are wrong (1 off) and you can't select one or more of the mics as a result.  Is this true?  I'm uisng version 2, which I've read doesn't have this issue but I'd like to be uisng the latest and greatest if the full functionality is there.

2.  My flextone iii XL currently has version 1.0.  I really like the amp models but am curious about version 1.1.  Many say they are better.  I ESPECIALLY like the model of the Soldano into the 4 X 12 with V30;s....in that I have found my "voice" with a touch of ping pong delay and a dash of reverb.  I'm afraid to download version 1.1 for fear that this tone will be worse.......but what if it is better?  Were/are there significant changes to the Soldano model or the 4x12 with V30's in version 1.10.  Can you go back to 1.00 if you don't like 1.10 and how much of a hassle is all that.

The amp just rocks from bedroom to studio to stage !

I played spiders and they sounded find but I wanted more flexibility.  I played the vetta II while I am sure you could tweak it......I thought the flextone iii sounded better out of the box and I can dial in sounds that sound GREAT very quickly with Flextone iii.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Two Questions about my new Flextone III XL...need some help
by ChristophK on 2009-04-04 13:43:33

1) Yes, all Line 6 Edit versions beginning with 3.0 have the same bugs in the Flextone editor. The most serious one is indeed the missing "no mic" in the mic model pulldown menu which means that all models are off by one. This prevents you from editing sounds for headphone and DI use. Why Line 6 can not resolve this simple issue - it's really only a missing entry in the menu - is beyond everybody's imagination and has led to serious criticism of Line 6's customer support. There are other issues, too, e.g. with the compressor. Either you stay with Edit Version 2.03 (that's the last one without the bugs) or you switch to 3rd party tools like TweakWizard.

2) Firmware 1.1 is widely regarded as the better one. It improved some of the amp models (but not the Soldano) and all of the cab models. For details, please refer to this document from Tweakfreak's independent Flextone Forum. For me, the best new feature of 1.1 was the "Min Volume" parameter. It allows to change the minimum setting for the volume pedal to a value above zero so you can use the full pedal way to go from rhythm level (maybe 75%) to solo (e.g. 100%). You can download both the 1.0 and 1.1 firmware from Line 6 and you can install whatever you prefer. Of course you can go back if you like, just reinstall the 1.0. But don't forget to back up your patches, since they will not survive a firmware update.

by liewergen on 2009-04-04 22:01:13

OK...that's about what I thought.

I did check out version 1.10.....it froze my FlextoneIII XL.....go stuck on preset 3b.....with no sound.

had to reset.......

I did not like the new V30 cabinet with the soldano amp.......a bit too harsh in my opinion......they clearly EQ'd the thing to more highs.....seems like they were trying to add clarity, but I thought it was a bit harsh......I went back to version 1.00 ......system works fine now and I think it sounds better.......I can dial in whatever I want.

I can't believe there is such a bad glitch in the line6 edit.

I still love my flextone......

sounds better than my GT-10

by ChristophK on 2009-04-05 02:01:35

If you really want to stick to 1.0, there's a nice freeware editor: PatchManager by a guy from the Netherlands. It really looks good and works fine, but only with the 1.0 firmware.

by boynigel on 2009-04-05 06:03:48

so does that mean that i'm getting a mic model out of my amp's speakers unless i've selected the first mic model from the drop down menu?  or does it only apply to the direct outs and headphones?  thanks.

by ChristophK on 2009-04-05 12:35:51

Mic modeling generally applies only to the headphone and DI outs, not to the internal speakers. So THIS bug won't bother you as long as you use only the amp's speakers. Line 6 just forgot the top entry in the mic menu and as a result "No mic" is set when "57 On Axis" is selected.  It also means that the mic model "67 Off axis" cannot be selected at all. But as I said, there are others bugs in Edit 3.02, it's really screwed up. For a complete issue list please see TweakFreak's page about that.

P.S. TweakFreak is pissed off a little bit by Line 6's customer support and does not support links from Line 6 servers to his pages at the moment. Nevertheless, his Flextone III pages are highly recommendable - so just copy the link http://tweakfreak.timeofday.nlin your browser's address bar. You will find the page with the Edit issue list in the menu on the left hand side under "Troubleshooting" -> "Line6Edit".

by Rowbi on 2009-04-05 12:59:02

wow, i never realised the flex 3 had been ignored so much... it's kind of starting to get to be a bit of an issue of late... especially with editors... bugs with the pocket pod editor for over a year, late editor for the X 3.  the floor pod plus i think has only just got an editor, and then we learn of this one...

as always a company like line6, which isn't really that big a company, certainly has to keep on top of new products, otherwise the money would stop coming in... but some of the issues we see seem to be such small bugs that you'd think it'd only take someone a day to fix... sure there's all the rest like beta testing the software before release which line6 would have to do, and then do the release properly, but is it really that big a job... compared to the bad rap that they get from some people because of it??

i'm not after starting up an issue with line6... but i thought i'd just keep it in mind for the future.  you never know when you may need to prove a point..

cheers

rowbi

by liewergen on 2009-04-05 14:30:16

Is line 6 working on an update to fix line6 edit?

what is the best after market editor......I really think that I'm going to stick with my Flextone III XL for a while.  I actually also think I am going to stick with version 1.00.

What's my best bet for a full function editor aftermarket......I'd like something a bit less clumsy.......do they require you to change/convert the standard Line6 patch file types??

I really love this amp.....and I've tried everything.....sounds great in my bedroom studio.........sounds great xlr out for sudio/gig at volume, what a great amp!

by ChristophK on 2009-04-06 03:26:36

Is line 6 working on an update to fix line6 edit?

Exactly that's the tragedy... Line 6 knows about the bugs for years now but bluntly refuses to do anything about it. They obviously have already abandoned any customer support for Flextone. Same thing with Vetta and a couple of other products, too. @Rowbi: You hit the nail on the head!

Nevertheless, there are currently three good and free editors for the Flextone III used by the community: The old Line 6 Edit 2.03, TweakWizard and Patchmanager. Here my personal comparision:

Editors for Flextone III
Line 6 Edit 2.03
TweakWizardPatchmanager
Support for Line 6 file formats (*.l6t)?YesYes (with converter tool)No
Java installation needed?YesNoNo
Photorealistic user interface?PartlyNoYes
Quick swap of tones?NoYesNo
Tone bundle management?YesYesNo
Tone export to text table?NoYesNo
Export/Import of PODxt SysEx data?NoNoYes
EQ correction mode (Fletcher-Munson curves)?NoYesNo
Tuner calibration for Flextone III?NoYesYes
Flextone III firmware support?1.0, 1.1
1.0, 1.1
1.0 only
Websitehttp://line6.com/software/http://www.vettaville.nl/vvFlextone%20tweakwizard.htmhttp://home.hccnet.nl/p.van.vegchel/patchmanager/

by s0c9 on 2009-04-06 10:57:30

This should be made a "sticky" !!

by mimungr on 2009-04-06 12:06:47

That's a great chart!

You should add a column for Edit v3. Yes, it's broken, but ...

It has really nice integration with customtone.com. I don't use customtone very often, but when I do, I find this very convenient -- just don't tweak the mic model .

FWIW, Edit v3 also does tuner calibration.

If you change the default installation directories, you can install v2 and v3 of Line 6 Edit on the same machine. So you can use v3 for exploring customtone, and then v2 or TweakWizard for everything else.

I guess the bottom-line is you don't need to pick one tool. Install them all and use the right one for the job.

by ChristophK on 2009-04-07 02:28:15

Line 6 Edit 2.03 had also the integration of Customtone (Button "Online Library"), but the link doesn't work anymore. But you can still go to www.customtone.com, download tones that are compatible with Flextone III and use them with Edit 2.03.

I didn't include Edit v3 in my list because I wanted to show only the approved bug-free software. Yes, you can work with v3 - but it's really limited because of the bugs and you really have to pay attention not to screw up your tones.

by liewergen on 2009-04-07 06:05:37

I've been using Line6 edit version 2.03 and its fine......as for custom tone.....I did a bulk download of compatible tones for the flextone three so I just use Line6 edit to access the file on my computer where the tones are stored......(I keep a seperate folder for tones that I've created or tweaked from the custom tones so I have everything backed up)....there are thousands of tones in the "custom tone" folder, it would take a lifetime to check/tweak them all out so that's cool.

I wish the wah was better on the flextone.......anyone have thoughts on the wah???  Other than that, I am really liking the flextone iii xl and trust me when I say I've tried everything.......the latest thing I was playing with was the GT-10 and while the two amps at once thing is cool................the flextone blows the GT-10 away for tone!  I'm keeping the GT-10 to be able to use a bunch of fx that the flextone doesn't have.......harmonizer, acoustic sim, auto-riff, slicer, pickup simulater, synth stuff......the boss chorus is very nice and there are about 15 OD/distortion stomp boxes modeled......and I'm using my weeping demon wah.................but the tones of the flextone are really nice.  The one thing that I've noticed is that having the gt-10 or even the weeping demon wah plugged into the flextone and bypassed actually alters the tone of the flextone slightly and I don't like it as much so when I've been laying down tracks.......I only have those things plugged in when I'm going to use them for a track.  For my band....I only need the wah which is a compromise I can live with, although I was hoping to like the flextone's wah better.

by chelito on 2011-01-14 08:50:37

Hi,

I´ve got a big problem with Line 6 Edit because the program doesn´t find my flextone III altough I installed Line 6 Edit 2.30 and Java 1.5. Is there anything else I have to do? I´d really like to use this program. TweakWizad is not really an alternative to me as it doesn´t support the normal lt6 files.

Greetings from Germany

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.