These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Pod X3 Live / Ableton "Failed to open the audio device ASIO POD X3 Live"
by saturnfive on 2010-07-14 12:25:31

Hello,

I've been using a Pod X3 Live with Ableton Live 7.0 for 18 months with no problems at all. Something went wrong recently and now the X3 can't seem to connect to my DAW. I'm on Vista 32 bit. I have the same problem in Live 8.0, have tried several reinstalls and had major issues with Monkey freezing on startup about 50% of the time (it won't quit with task manager either, so I have to physically turn the pc off to reboot, not good!) the latest thing I tried was the following:-

- I uninstalled Monkey

- reinstalled Monkey (1.33)

- windows recognised it via USB ok

- updated driver (to 4.0.2.7)

- updated USB firmware (to 1.02)

- updated flash memory (to (2.01)

- I then flashed the X3 successfully.

- Monkey loads up and recognises the X3

- Open up Ableton Live 7.0, go to options/ preferences / audio device, select "ASIO" from driver type

- When I try to select "Asio Pod X3 live" from the audio device menu I get the message: "Failed to open the audio device ASIO POD X3 Live". It shows up as an option, which makes me think it's connected but not working somehow...

any ideas what's up?

Many thanks for any help or advice anyone can give! The X3 has been brilliant and hassle free so far but I'm really stuck now...

Jim

Re: Pod X3 Live / Ableton "Failed to open the audio device ASIO POD X3 Live"
by silverhead on 2010-07-14 13:27:30

Was Monkey running when Ableton can't recognize the X3L? If so, try again with Monkey shut down.

by saturnfive on 2010-07-15 00:10:28

Hi, Silverhead.

No, it's the same whether Monkey is closed or running. I select the option "Asio Pod X3" from the dropdown list then there is a pause of about 15 seconds (where presumably it is either trying to find the pod or finding it and trying to connect unsuccesfully) then I get the same message "Failed to open the audio device ASIO POD X3 Live"

Thanks for your suggestion anyway

It's probably worth mentioning that prior to the USB not connecting, I've had an intermitent problem where the signal from the pod would just stop: I'd be monitoring the pod in ableton via USB and the audio would just go dead after a while even though the pod still seemed to be working fine. Switching the pod off and back on again would fix this (at least for another 1/2 hour or so). I dont' know if this is related but, thinking about it, it may well be. Now I've done some more reading up on here, it seems like this "USB dropout" is a known issue with the X3 live?....

by silverhead on 2010-07-15 06:23:35

I think these are probably two separate problems. And yes, as you  now know from your reading, the USB Audio Dropout issue is a known issue for which there is a free hardware fix under lifetime warranty for the X3L. Check the history of postings on this issue for details on how to get it fixed. If your X3L serial number is lower than 21X3LxS59xxx...... you should have it repaired.

by saturnfive on 2010-07-15 09:49:00

Ah thanks again, that's very helpful. I checked the serial no. and it's "21X3LxS58...." so it does seem to fall within that group of potentially affected units. I'll contact Line 6 UK to ask whether a fix is possible. I guess I'll get this issue fixed first and then see if the non connection issue still occurs but it does seem like it could easily be related.

cheers,

Jim

by silverhead on 2010-07-15 10:05:24

Talk to the Line 6 service cntre first. Tell them to look up Line 6 Technical Bulletin #52 and make sure they have the required replacement part in stock before you bring your X3L in.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.