These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Jam

Is the spider jam any good for an acoustic guitar?
by Riconaught on 2010-07-29 21:37:14

I bought a spider jam about a year ago or so, and am pretty happy with it in general, especially using my semi-hollow body Ibanez artcore. The features of this guitar are great, but............ I also have a Larrivee.  I want to know if I am losing much sound potential running this acoustic guitar through this amp.  For example, would I get nicer sound from an amp specifically designed for acoustic?  I know the spider jam has a tweeter, which I was lead to believe is the distiguishing design difference for acoustic amps.  I love my spider jam, but just wonder if I'm selling my Larrivee short running it through there.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Riconaught

Re: Is the spider jam any good for an acoustic guitar?
by joegillespie on 2010-07-30 01:20:05

The Spider Jam is an excellent acoustic amp. Use the AUX/MIC channel and there you will find 4 presets for acoustic guitar but you can also try some of the other presets such as the vocal ones which work fine too. I have used my Spider Jam in gigs with a Yamaha APX-7 and a Regal Resonator for slide. I previously had an AER costing five times as much as a Spider Jam and there is very little difference except that the Spider Jam has more bottom end response. I use  a little reverb but do all the eq with the guitar controls. You just need to position the guitar and amp to minimise feedback. It is best if you play at the side of the amp and not in front or behind. Used this way, the Spider Jam is essentially a PA system in one box.

by Riconaught on 2010-07-30 23:19:09

Thanks Joe, most helpful.

I tried the aux on mic channel, and see what you mean now. Got hung up a bit, as I was set to guitar channel, and the effects were still in the way, but once I figured out to switch to mic it all seems clear.

Thanks again.

by joegillespie on 2010-07-31 02:01:14

I have an article about using different instruments witht he Spider Jam here -  http://www.joesjamblog.com/instruments.html

Forthe benefit of those who haven't found the 'switch', press and hold the GUITAR-MIC/AUX button on the top left of the control panel. Here you will be given a menu with the choices AUX/MIC INSTRUMENT INPUT ROUTING - Mixed with Microphone OR Mixed with Guitar.The Mixed with Microphone setting gives access to the acoustic guitar presets.

All explained in more detail at - http://www.joesjamblog.com/inputs.html

by aklajnert on 2010-08-01 08:01:37

On that website is small fragment about bass guitars:

Bass guitar

You can play a bass guitar through a Sider Jam – quietly. This amp is not a bass guitar amplifier and not only will it not reproduce the low frequencies particularly well, the long speaker cone excursions can wreck the speaker at higher volumes.

Playing a bass guitar through a Sider Jam in a live situation is asking for trouble

So, when I plug a baritone guitar or low tuned seven string (AEADGBE) - can I have problems playing live with Spider Jam?

by Buy-a-Fender on 2010-08-01 09:06:23

I think you answered your own question:

"You can play a bass guitar through a Sider Jam – quietly. This amp is not a bass guitar amplifier and not only will it not reproduce the low frequencies particularly well, the long speaker cone excursions can wreck the speaker at higher volumes. "

You are playing a guitar that generates lower frequencies than the amp can safely handle at anything but a low volume.

If you are going to play live then you would have to be playing at  volume that I would not be able to use in a live setting.

Of course it all depends on what your amp is going to compete with. If you are talking about playing live with drummer then I'd say NO WAY!!

Playing live with other musicians is such a dynamic situation volume-wise. You might start out at a low level that will do no harm to the amp but in those situations you may find that you are increasing the volume to stay heard. And then suddenly you tear a speaker cone or damge the voice coil. I certainly would not do it unless I was absolutely positive I could keep the volume level low and under control.

Ultimatley you are the only who can answer this becasue we have no idea what tye of music you are playing or at what volume levels you need to play at in your situation.

On a side note I find the Spider Jam way too "fussy" to use it in a live setting.

However, it is THE BEST practice and jam amp I have ever owned.

just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary

Steve

by aklajnert on 2010-08-01 10:22:56

So, is there any device who let me play loud live with spider jam and low tuned guitar?

Or it's completely useful for live purposes? Live - I mean a show with drums, bass and another guitar in e.g. small club.

Sorry for my english

by joegillespie on 2010-08-01 11:40:22

The Spider Jam is not intended for live gigs. Even with a regular electric guitar, the volume would be hard pressed to compete with a drummer and other instruments. I have used my Spider Jam live on two occasions, one was a medium sized gig and luckily, I had my Peavey Classic tere too because the Spider Jam couldn't handle it. At a smaller party gig in someones home, it was fine but we weren't playing very loud. If you are using low tuning, then you really do need an appropriate amp with speakers that can handle that frequency response. You need more power than 75 watts and at least two 12" speakers preferebly in a closed back cabinet.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.