These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Stompbox Modelers / ToneCore

Needing help with my Tone Port ux 8 and Imac
by conraddon on 2010-08-05 00:13:21

I can't get any audio out of the tone port that isn't clipping or dropping. Not even recording just having a live mic and using headphones as a monitor, still a no go. I've downloaded all the drives using Line 6 Monkey. Everything is connected correctly. My software recognizes the hardware. My iMac more than meets the minum requirements. So please tell me what I need to do to get this thing to work or its going back for something else. I'm sure its a user error, but if I can't figure it out its of no use to me.... Please help. And thanks in advance...

Don

Re: Needing help with my Tone Port ux 8 and Imac
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-08-05 06:22:13

First try isolating the problem.

Try the UX8 with another computer.  If it works okay on another computer then you know the UX8 is okay and the problem is somewhere in the way it is interacting with your Imac.

Do that first and let us know how it goes then we can trouble shoot further.

There are a lot of settings that have to be done right including the driver settings for the UX8 as well as the input levels in your DAW software.  The trick is to isolate each element, but start with the big obvious stuff first.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Crusty

by conraddon on 2010-08-05 09:44:47

Okay thanks Crusty, I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. Too be honest I'm a total noob I was just expecting to plug in and go. Hopefully this fixes the problem, I'll post back tonight...

Thanks again,

Don

RE: Needing help with my Tone Port ux 8 and Imac
by Line6david on 2010-08-05 15:20:43

Hi,

I know it's a very simple solution but my first guess would be to check any cables you have connected to the input source or speakers.

Also, are you running a 64bit OS?

Go to:

Macintosh HD> Applications>Utilities>Terminal and type: uname -a

Darwin iMac.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 - is 32 bit

Darwin iMac.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 - is 64 bit

Also, are you using the UX8 with a DAW? if so which one?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: Needing help with my Tone Port ux 8 and Imac
by conraddon on 2010-08-05 15:44:59

@line6David Yes I've checked all cables and made sure they work correctly and also tried several different mics... I'm not quite sure if its on 64bit or not, I've only had the iMac for 3 days. I'm currently using Garage Band, but i'll prob be switching to sonar soon as thats the program Im familiar with...Thanks for helping though.. I can use all I can get, I'm a little over my head here.

by conraddon on 2010-08-05 17:53:42

@line6 david I went home and my iMac is running at 32bit

by Line6Hugo on 2010-08-06 10:07:25

conraddon,

Please make sure to have downloaded and installed the latest Line 6 software versions from our website.

Can you tell us the steps you take to use the UX8 and at which point you come across a problem? Please be as detailed as you can with the steps you take and the settings you select within Garageband and for the UX8 control panel.

Also, I recommend completely removing all other USB devices from the computer while troubleshooting this problem. Remove ANY USB hubs, even if not in use, and test the UX8 on all of the computer's USB ports.

It would also be very helpful if you could fill out your support profile for this computer at the following link:

http://line6.com/account/supportProfile/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by conraddon on 2010-08-06 12:33:03

So without changing any settings I have it running perfect on bootcamp... Not sure why, but the software for windows is way easier to install. Line6 has much more time put into to windows drivers and there OS, then OSX...

by ricksox on 2010-08-06 16:22:24

I most cases the following can be attributed to no output on Macs:

- no speakers connected to the UX device

- device not set up as sound card in system preferences on Mac under Sounds

- Input and Output sliders not turned up in System Preferences>Sounds

Specifically, you mentioned you are using a microphone so make sure that your Source Select in the software is set to "Mic".

Also make sure that all of your inputs and outputs are tuned up int eh Line 6 Audio MIDI Device control panel under System Preferences>Other.

Line6Miller

by conraddon on 2010-08-06 16:40:47

I'm really not having a problem with no output. The device is set up as anoutput, and eveything is setup as you described. My issue if you read above is regaurding clipping and dropouts. I can hear audio, just a really crappy version of it. Even when not using the software. For example, at one point I have a mic plugged into line 1, and headphones plugged into there port. I have the mic monitor un-muted in the Toneport software as well as having the line assigned to mic. Without recording ( just using headphones as a monitor) I still get a ton of clipping and dropouts. When watching say a youtube video or listen to a song through my itunes using the Toneport as my audio out I still have a ton of clipping. This is the problem i'm trying to correct..

Thanks,

Don

by ricksox on 2010-08-06 16:50:50

Hello,

So you are getting pops and clicks with the latest 4.7.1 driver?

What kind of processor is running on your iMac? Is it a new iCore?

Line6Miller

by conraddon on 2010-08-06 17:03:23

Imac has 4gb or Ram and core 2 duo 2.4ghz

by Vadimoka on 2010-08-08 09:20:48

Help me the same thing .... and the same configuration. than solve the problem?

by conraddon on 2010-08-11 16:56:01

any other ideas?

by Kneehow on 2010-08-18 14:36:55

Hi Don,

Is your Airport Wireless turned on constantly? If so, just out of curiosity, what is the audio streaming quality when you disable Airport (assuming it was on all this time prior).

That's about the only other thing I can think of right now.

Regards,

L6Perry

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.