These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Pod xtl power problems
by fabrocal on 2010-08-10 03:25:18

Hi, can i use a 9v AC 3000mA instead of a 2000mA transformer on a pod xtl?

I've been having power problems and someone suggested this. I also bought a stabilizer but didn't solve my problem completely. Sometimes the lcd display light gets dimmer with every bassdrum kick, and sometimes it reset the program or totally shuts down and restarts.

Oh! And I have a variax connected to it.

Any help please?

Re: Pod xtl power problems
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-08-10 03:38:10

Yes you can.  It's no problem having a power supply that can deliver a greater draw of current.  An under-rated current supply will not be able to cope with the current draw and will get hot or burn out.

So, a 9V 3 Amp power supply will work well and keep cool.  Just make sure that it is AC - Alternating Current no 9V DC.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-08-10 03:40:26

I would also consider a way of getting some smooth, uninterrupted power to your POD.  Think about getting a small uninterruptable power supply (UPS) or at least a power conditioner.

This will correct any power interruptions.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Crusty

by fabrocal on 2010-08-10 06:09:38

Thanks Crusty,

In fact on the back of the xtl it says 9v DC 2000mA minimum.

I'm curious to know if this will actually help when the electricity is low.

If it won't then i'll try the ups.

Cheers

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-08-10 06:18:58

It might help just a little but that's fairly unlikely because even with a Variax connected, there is some headroom in the power supply, the POD and Variax don't draw the full 2 Amps.

A UPS or at least a power conditioner will give you more protection from dodgy power.

Cheers,

Crusty

P.S.  Thanks for acknowledging my replies.

by fabrocal on 2010-08-10 06:20:43

You're welcome Crusty :-))

by d8veh on 2010-08-10 08:26:56

I hope the above solves your problem. In case it doesn't, I know of three XTLs where the power input socket was broken. One of the legs that are soldered to the main circuit board break (perhaps when it gets kicked or something), but stay in contact most of the time. You can tell if this is your problem by wiggling the power jack while it is in place. If the power is interrupted, then the leg is probably broken and you will have to solder in a new socket.

by fabrocal on 2010-08-10 08:44:26

Oh! thanks. I will check it then.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.