These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

[MIDI Implementation] Using the Line 6 M9 with MIDI (and the G-System)
by DemoColorScheme on 2010-08-15 02:58:35

Hey guys (new member here),
I've recently been thinking about dropping my modded DL-4 and getting an M9 to place on top of my rack and connect it to MIDI to get this 'super multi-FX setup'. I'm not dropping other pedals, etc. I just think it's gonna be cool having the extra verbs, filters, mods and the DL-4 again, but this time in a MIDI-operational manner. It's gonna be a nice add-on to the G-System rig and makes for less and less tap dancing, with the M9, Damage Control TimeLine and t.c. electronic Nova Drive all being connected via MIDI.

Anyways,
I've heard there are some limitations with the M9 and MIDI. The latest firmware patch allows users to have 24 Patches via MIDI, max. To me, this isn't a problem since it still beats having 1 DL-4. However ...

I've done some research with the G-System guru Laird and we found out that it's gonna be a huge hassle connecting the M9 via PC messages. It'll have certain problems, like these:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Laird wrote:
The G-system has 3 banks of 100 presets.,
??? Factory Presets A0-1 through B9-5 are bank 0.

??? User Presets 00-1 through 19-5 are bank 1.

??? User presets 20-1 through 39-5 are bank 2.

When  you change presets on the G, it actually sends TWO MIDI messages –  a  Bank Select (MSB) Message and a program change (PC) message.

This works great with the timeline, since IT TOO has banks and knows how to responds meaningfully to bank select messages.
If you send the timeline Bank Select 0, PC 14, then it will select a DIFFERENT preset than it would if you sent it Bank Select 1, PC 14.

Now, consider the M9, which does not have banks.

It probably ignores bank select messages.
Soooo.
?? When you Send the M9 Bank Select 0, PC 14 it will call up its “scene” 14.
?? When you send the M9 Bank Select 1, PC 14, it will STILL call up its scene 14.

This translates to the following on the G-System:

Preset A2-4, 02-4, and 22-4 ALL have to use the SAME M9 “scene”.

Can you see what a disaster this is yet? The M9 MIDI implementation is REALLY bad in this regard

--------------------------------------------------------------

If I'd go into this, I'd even need the MIDI Solutions Event Processor  (and program that via the computer) and a Power Adapter. The price of those added up is around €280,- whilst a new M9 is €350,- here. That's  insane, for some MIDI implementation.

Now I've been thinking; The G-System sends out MIDI CC messages and the  M9 can recognize those and allows for you to turn of single effects, like 1A, 2A, etc. I'd need to reprogram the buttons on the G-System and  I'd probably only be able to change 6 presets (not even scenes), max. But still, if that would work, I'd really be open to that, since it still beats having just 1 DL-4 in front of me.

Anyways, no one has ever thought about integrating the M9 into a MIDI rig?

Re: [MIDI Implementation] Using the Line 6 M9 with MIDI (and the G-System)
by DemoColorScheme on 2010-08-16 14:52:51

Bump.

RE: [MIDI Implementation] Using the Line 6 M9 with MIDI (and the G-System)
by Kneehow on 2010-08-20 17:04:13

Hi,

I don't have access to a tc G-System to try and test that scenario out.

The way the M9 MIDI Program Change values are mapped out are:

Scene

(for Folder #1)

1A: 0: 12

1B: 1; 13

2A: 2, 14

2B: 3, 15

3A: 4; 16

3B: 5; 17

(for Folder #2)

1A: 6; 19

and so on...

It sounds like the way G-Systems transmit MIDI Program Change data (or the behavior) is a deal-breaker. All I can really tell you is to try out the M9 at a local Guitar Center with your G-System before making a purchase decision.

It may not be the answer you were hoping for, but it's the best answer I can provide you with.

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: [MIDI Implementation] Using the Line 6 M9 with MIDI (and the G-System)
by DemoColorScheme on 2010-08-21 00:00:49

Well, first of all, I live in the Netherlands ... We don't have GC over here, haha.

However, I don't mind changing stompboxes with MIDI CC - that would still beat just having 1 DL-4.

I'll get one anyway, if it doesn't work, I'll sell it again.

RE: [MIDI Implementation] Using the Line 6 M9 with MIDI (and the G-System)
by Kneehow on 2010-08-23 14:08:56

Hi,

Please let us know your findings. I'm curious as to how it interacts with your G-System.

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: [MIDI Implementation] Using the Line 6 M9 with MIDI (and the G-System)
by DemoColorScheme on 2010-08-23 14:11:05

Will do. I'm planning on controlling it with MIDI CC and hope to get the M9 this month.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.