These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

What are all the possible ways of recording with a PODxt?
by IronMaidenFan666 on 2010-08-24 06:23:50

I am considering buying a PODxt, but I have a few questions. What are all the possible ways of recording with a PODxt? If recording via USB, can I set up my recording software to detect the PODxt, and hear myself play with headphones while I record with no latency issues? I am running a fairly powerful PC, so I don't think I'd have any issues with latency, but because PODxt uses USB 1.0, will it be more of a task to have no latency, rather than if PODxt used USB 2.0? Besides recording via USB, are there any other ways to record?

Can I use POD Farm with the PODxt, so I can use my pre-sets from POD Farm with my PODxt, and vise-versa? And also, can I record with my POD Farm settings?

Does the PODxt have its own soundcard I can use?

Can I order speakers that I could use in place of using headphones for hearing myself? If so, what do you recommend and how would I set that up with the PODxt?

Can PODxt record microphone and bass?

Can I order a footswitch, volume pedal, and/or wah pedal for PODxt?

Does POD Farm 2.0 come free with PODxt?

Can I use a PODxt with my amp? If so, how?

Thanks in advance, for if/when anyone decides to answer my questions. : )

Re: What are all the possible ways of recording with a PODxt?
by Mr_Arkadin on 2010-08-24 08:46:36

IronMaidenFan666 wrote:

1. What are all the possible ways of recording with a PODxt? If recording via USB, can I set up my recording software to detect the PODxt, and hear myself play with headphones while I record with no latency issues? I am running a fairly powerful PC, so I don't think I'd have any issues with latency, but because PODxt uses USB 1.0, will it be more of a task to have no latency, rather than if PODxt used USB 2.0? Besides recording via USB, are there any other ways to record?

2. Can I use POD Farm with the PODxt, so I can use my pre-sets from POD Farm with my PODxt, and vise-versa? And also, can I record with my POD Farm settings?

3. Does the PODxt have its own soundcard I can use?

4. Can I order speakers that I could use in place of using headphones for hearing myself? If so, what do you recommend and how would I set that up with the PODxt?

5. Can PODxt record microphone and bass?

6. Can I order a footswitch, volume pedal, and/or wah pedal for PODxt?

7. Does POD Farm 2.0 come free with PODxt?

8. Can I use a PODxt with my amp? If so, how?

So many questions. I numbered them as I am not going to answer all of them

1. You should be able to monitor fine with no latency, although I have never used USB myself. You can also use the 1/4" analogue outputs into a computer soundcard.

2. Due to the nature of PodFarm (dual tones etc.) you cannot swap tones between a PodXT and PodFarm. You can however record happily using the extra goodies in PodFarm using PodFarm as a plug-in within a host

(e.g. Cubase).

3. Not sure what you mean by that. By selecting the Pod ASIO drivers in your computer, your computer sees the Pod as a soundcard, if that's what you mean.

4. Speakers is a whole other thread.

5. PodXT is good for bass (especially with the Bass Expansion), and you can at a pinch record with a mic but it's not ideal as the input impedance is set for guitars, but it's OK for experimenting.

6. http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvexpressmkii.html

http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvshortboardmkii.html

http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbv.html

7. No you have to purchase it (and note that the PodXT just acts as a dongle and you cannot use the standalone version, only as a plug-in).

8. Again, a whole new thread required. Search the forum for solutions that other users have come up with.

by IronMaidenFan666 on 2010-08-24 09:31:23

Hey, thanks for answering some of my questions. Really appreciate it.

What do you mean by PODxt would act like a 'dongle'?

And in response to your second question, so I can only use the settings I have on my PODxt, and I can't use any features from POD Farm? What is the POD Farm plug-in for?

by Mr_Arkadin on 2010-08-24 10:18:43

IronMaidenFan666 wrote:

What do you mean by PODxt would act like a 'dongle'?

And in response to your second question, so I can only use the settings I have on my PODxt, and I can't use any features from POD Farm? What is the POD Farm plug-in for?

All I mean by dongle is that you use the PodFarm software to generate your tone, not the PodXT. The PodXT still needs to be connected, however, as the licence to use PodFarm is tied to that hardware. You can use all the features of PodFarm and record what tones you like, but you can't then store that tone in the PodXT as PodFarm contains extra features that the XT doesn't have, e.g. dual tones.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.