These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: BackTrack / MIDI Mobilizer

How to use MIDI - FBV MKII Pedal?
by TheDarkCalling on 2010-08-30 07:48:29

Alright well, I've decided to get technical with my guitar and use stuff like Guitar Rig, etc. but..

I have no idea how to start.

My set up - Ibanez Prestige - Guitar

Line 6 Spider  IV 75 Watt - Amp

FBV MKII  Express - Pedal

MacBook Pro - laptop

Now, I have a cable that connects from the back out of my Pedal to my Mac, but, I have no idea how to use MIDI, how to hear my guitar from my speakers, what software to use, how to get it all running.

Halp please?

Many Thanks, Nick.

RE: How to use MIDI - FBV MKII Pedal?
by Kneehow on 2010-08-30 15:37:18

Hi Nick,

I'll try to clarify a few important things you should be aware of:

1. The FBV Express MKII pedal is an interface that let's you do 2 primary things to your Spider IV 75 amp.

One is to update the system firmware of the amp, should newer versions become available via Line 6 Monkey.

The other is to provide for control data communication, so you can edit sound parameters inside your Spider IV 75 using the free Spider IV Edit editing software program.

2. This CAT-5 connection from Spider IV 75 into your FBV Express MKII and then the USB connection to your computer does NOT stream any audio signal out of the amp.

So, you're never going to be passing audio info into a computer this way.

If you want to record the audio signal of your amp, you'd still need to either use the Phones/Direct Out jack and connect that to a soundcard or audio interface input on your computer, or mic up the speaker signal of the amp and route that mic'ed signal into your computer via a soundcard or audio interface.

3. 3rd party recording programs. This you'll need to investigate. There are a lot of programs that record audio these days: ProTools, Logic, Live, SONAR, Cubase, Digital Performer, Audition, Nuendo, Vegas, Reaper, GarageBand, etc.

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: How to use MIDI - FBV MKII Pedal?
by gildabass on 2010-08-31 00:59:43

OR, in order to use Guitar Rig as a multi-effect, maybe you could :  plug your guitar into your audio interface.

(If you don't have one yet, as you have a mac, it seems that the apogee duet is a good way to go. quite expensive, but only good reviews, on sound quality… but any other could do too !!)

plug you FBV into your mac in USB (see on the product page of the FBV to see how to transmit midi via USB) to control your VSTs (guitar rig or other)

use guitar rig as an effect processor / amp modeling. Use any DAW (as suggested above) to record, edit…

And then plug the output of your audio card into your AMP to hear the final result.

In this case, Guitar rig would do the job of your Spider. the effect/amp modeling section of your Spider won't be used (Is it a waste ?) or maybe double what guitar rig can do. or you could use effects in GR, and amp modeling from the Spider. I don't really know either, so i could't say which is best for what.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.