These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Toneport UX2 with SONAR... MIDI Output
by gphowell on 2010-09-27 12:16:40

OK, let's "pretend" for a minute that I'm a complete noob and don't know much about home-recording, MIDI etc

I have a UX2 connected to SONAR and I'm using the UX2 as input & output with other soundcards disabled.

I want to be able to write a drum-track in SONAR and be able to monitor/hear it through the UX2. I can't get any output at the moment: if I switch to my soundcard I can hear the drum-track but not if I use the UX2.

I understand the the UX2 is not a MIDI device, but is there a way to get this to work? A plug-in or something?

If someone could give me a quick (and mono-syllabic) walkthrough, that's be great...

Thanks

G

Re: Toneport UX2 with SONAR... MIDI Output
by silverhead on 2010-09-27 12:39:59

Try using headphones with your UX2 to moitor the sound. When your UX2 is used as the computer's soundcard (which it is when it's connected to SONAR) then you must monitor the sound through your UX2. You can also connect your external computer speakers to the UX2 outputs if you prefer.

by TheRealZap on 2010-09-27 12:53:03

ahhhh!

this one is somewhat tricky... your consumer soundcard has likely got a basic soundfont or midi mapped sounds of some sort which is why it can hear some midi files...

the L6 drivers do not have any such thing...

this is why you can't hear midi...

the solution, that you will have to learn about sooner or later if you are going to work with midi for recording is VSTi's

or VST instruments.

its basically a plugin that you put on the track like you do for pod farm that does audio to audio... except the VSTi goes midi to audio.

i use toontrack ezdrummer and super drummer for my midi drums http://www.toontrack.com/

itsa bit pricy....

but try this free package to get the concept first...

http://www.meldaproduction.com/mdrummer/

andthen you can sample packages etc and get the drum kit you want.

by DoctorWu on 2010-09-27 15:42:31

I also have a UX2 that I use with Sonar.  I can hear the output from my MIDI drum tracks just fine, but I have to create an Audio track to route the output of the virtual drummer (Sonar's Session Drummer, EZ Drummer, or whatever a person wants to use) to.  To clarify, my signal routing is as follows (I use EZ Drummer): I route the output of MIDI track that contains drum sequencing to EZ Drummer.  Then the signal goes from EZ Drummer to the Audio track I've created for that purpose.  I do that by changing the input setting on said Audio track to point to a whatever EZ Drummers MIDI channel is.  Of course, if I'm going to use separate channels for each drum component (bass, snare, hihat, tom, etc.) then I have to create an addtional Audio track for each component. Also, next to where the Master bus is, I create a new bus and name it "Drum Bus."  Then I route all my drum audio tracks to that particular bus.  That way I can add compression, EQ, and perhaps even a teeny bit of reverb to the Drum Bus I created.  The output of Drum Bus is then sent to the Master Bus.  Sometimes I do kind of the same thing only I use sends from each audio track to the Drum bus instead.  In fact, that's actually a more efficient way of controllling the effects added to the drum bus.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.