These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD as VST models
by eirikhh on 2010-09-30 23:47:34

Alright, the HD features seems fine and all, but when are we gonna see this technology as a VST ? I'd love to check these sounds out for my home studio, but I don't need a POD HD 500 -sized "dongle". I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Re: HD as VST models
by Rowbi on 2010-10-01 03:05:27

Id like to see it too.

submit a feature request here: http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/so that the product manager and developers see your suggestion

by timothybaugh on 2010-10-01 03:15:55

Line6miller stated [in the HD Studio thread] that there were some major upgrades in the pipeline for POD Farm. Whilst he didn't actually say there would be HD models as a VST I think that it's reasonable to assume that Line 6 will want to leverage the new technology throughout their product range. After all it took years to develop and no doubt cost serious bucks to develop. I can therefore see a raft of new products being released. I think [I could be wrong] that the HD 300/400/500 are designed to fix the reliability problems of the POD X3 Live [which I think has been discontinued] and address customer feedback regarding the X3 tone live [again Line6miller said as much]. That's why the focus has been on a unit that can be used in a live situation [metal chassis and switches] rather than a dual live/studio device like the X3 Live. Just my two cents.

by Rowbi on 2010-10-01 03:32:55

timothybaugh wrote:

Line6miller stated [in the HD Studio thread] that there were some major upgrades in the pipeline for POD Farm. Whilst he didn't actually say there would be HD models as a VST I think that it's reasonable to assume that Line 6 will want to leverage the new technology throughout their product range. After all it took years to develop and no doubt cost serious bucks to develop. I can therefore see a raft of new products being released.

i would tend to agree that the HD is going to be the next big thing.

At the moment though, the spider valve MKII is 1 year old, and people moaned about the MK1 only being 2 years old before being discontinued, so the SV MKII I think is here for another 2-3 years, and as it's updatable and has good connection options, that doesn't need anything else.  I highly doubt it'll get HD models, as it probably doesn't have the DSP to run them, and also it would compete with the DT50 and that would ruin sales of the DT50 because the SV MKII is less to buy.

The Spider IV is also only 1 year old, but it's updatable, so I don't think it's likely to be replaced any time soon.

My guess for new products would be a rack version of the POD HD, as all other pod series have had one.  maybe an M13 in a rack... although if the POD HD has a lot of M series FX, L6 may choose to make 1 rack product that has everything the M13 and POD HD500 has all in one rack.  what a killer box that would be... but that's just dreaming.  ALso as you said, something like POD Farm HD.

I can't really see many gaps for new products at the moment.

as for the X3 vs HD, at the moment the X3 has more amp models, and better POD Farm and DAW/recording options.  but like you said, there's likely been a lot of cash been put into the POD HD R&D, so I'm sure there'll be some sort of updates to the POD HD in the future... just remember, it's all about quality not quantity.

by eirikhh on 2010-10-01 04:33:00

yup. I'm submitting a request.

by timothybaugh on 2010-10-01 04:45:12

A rack version would be awesome - I'd buy one and I bet many people would prefer a rack for use live either standalone or connected into an HT50 amp with a tough floorboard for switching. Not as bad if it gets some beer spilt on it ..

And I've seen the point of 78 amp models. I'd rather have 16 top notch amps and lots of effects and routing options.

by ricksox on 2010-10-01 12:55:20

timothybaugh wrote:

Line6miller stated [in the HD Studio thread] that there were some major upgrades in the pipeline for POD Farm.

I just want to respond to this before expectations get out of hand. What I said was:

"We've got some ideas for the future of POD Farm. I can't get into specifics as you know but I believe there will be some cool things in store for POD Farm moving forward."

I just want you guys to keep in mind that plans can and do change all of the time. I have no idea if POD Farm will be compatible with the POD HD line moving forward. I do have some internal knowledge that I can't divulge but I just don't want to set expectations to a point where you guys are ever let down or disappointed. So, please keep submitting your feedback. That's the best thing to do!

Thanks!

Line6Miller

by toasterdude on 2010-10-01 15:14:42

Rowbi wrote:

timothybaugh wrote:

Line6miller stated [in the HD Studio thread] that there were some major upgrades in the pipeline for POD Farm. Whilst he didn't actually say there would be HD models as a VST I think that it's reasonable to assume that Line 6 will want to leverage the new technology throughout their product range. After all it took years to develop and no doubt cost serious bucks to develop. I can therefore see a raft of new products being released.

i would tend to agree that the HD is going to be the next big thing.

At the moment though, the spider valve MKII is 1 year old, and people moaned about the MK1 only being 2 years old before being discontinued, so the SV MKII I think is here for another 2-3 years, and as it's updatable and has good connection options, that doesn't need anything else.  I highly doubt it'll get HD models, as it probably doesn't have the DSP to run them, and also it would compete with the DT50 and that would ruin sales of the DT50 because the SV MKII is less to buy.

The Spider IV is also only 1 year old, but it's updatable, so I don't think it's likely to be replaced any time soon.

My guess for new products would be a rack version of the POD HD, as all other pod series have had one.  maybe an M13 in a rack... although if the POD HD has a lot of M series FX, L6 may choose to make 1 rack product that has everything the M13 and POD HD500 has all in one rack.  what a killer box that would be... but that's just dreaming.  ALso as you said, something like POD Farm HD.

I can't really see many gaps for new products at the moment.

as for the X3 vs HD, at the moment the X3 has more amp models, and better POD Farm and DAW/recording options.  but like you said, there's likely been a lot of cash been put into the POD HD R&D, so I'm sure there'll be some sort of updates to the POD HD in the future... just remember, it's all about quality not quantity.

I think they also need to do a rack mount stereo power amp that is the bogner part of the DT amps. No digital tone stack needed. Plug POD HD in preferably the rack version, and you have a killer stereo rig. I don't really want to have to buy 2 combos or 2 heads and never use the 2 channel setup, just to get access to the reconfigurable topologies etc.

by toasterdude on 2010-10-01 15:18:13

timothybaugh wrote:

A rack version would be awesome - I'd buy one and I bet many people would prefer a rack for use live either standalone or connected into an HT50 amp with a tough floorboard for switching. Not as bad if it gets some beer spilt on it ..

And I've seen the point of 78 amp models. I'd rather have 16 top notch amps and lots of effects and routing options.

I want a rack mount POD HD, rackmount stereo DT, and rack mount wireless VDI. I'll take two!!!

by kdog on 2010-10-01 16:17:29

For home use, I've pretty much gone full VST, so I'd buy a POD Farm HD product pretty much on the spot. As for the hardware, I'm disappointed that they did three different floor units and no bean or rack. I would probably rather go rack in spite of the expense with the hope that they continue to upgrade it (via firmware) like they did the XT series. I already have two floorboards and do not need a third in the form of a floor precessor.

by guitars69 on 2010-10-01 16:20:19

Me too, PodFarm HD would be schwing.

As for the lack of bean or rack, don't they all come out at different times historically?  I think the bean is usually first though-since this is intended for live use mostly, it may never come.  I'd be surprised if a rack isn't in the pipeline though.

by dylantan on 2010-10-02 18:44:42

Okay. Moving forward. POD HD Ultra. That will knock the socks off everything out there! Go Line6. You have the capacity to pull it off! Haha!

by Brion_Kean on 2010-10-05 08:02:05

It does raise some really interesting questions, like:

-. Why does the new HD POD not have any mic preamps? (American, Vintage, UK, etc)   YET... has a mic input... (hope they fixed it!!!)

-. Why does the new HD POD have NO bass amp or bass cabinet models?

Discontinuing the POD X3Live makes sense if it was being replaced, but really, only 33% of the X3 is being replaced, if that much, by the POD HD. Don't get me wrong, I could care less about the bass and mic stuff! (and I play bass)... Get the guitar amps sounding good and awesome, worry about the rest wayyyy later. I suppose you can still use the HD to process bass and vocals, it's just not, seemingly, ideal.

As someone else stated, the new POD Farm 2.0 is still a $$ ticket right now, and if they give it free with the POD HD, that would be cool, but I don't expect them to work together really.. Sort of like, the HD500 editor is where POD Farm is going, once they integrate the HD models into the software. But from a monetary and business model standpoint, that ain't happening anytime soon. They want us to keep our deeply flawed X3's , cause they know what the POD Farm 2.0 has to offer that is above the X3, yet still below the HD. Oroborous, chasing it's tail. Catch 22!!!

Hey, does Milo Minderbinder work for Line 6?? LOL!!!

Expansion packs? Maybe. They should be included, but I understand R&D and marketing and advertising, and CEO's and such are quite expensive costs for a big company.

What I like the most? The idea that the POD HD can do analog switch control on the DT50. That is BOMB cool good way bada$$ without the $$ signs needed. BADA! BADA BING! Without the cherries.

I called Guitar Center today, they were clueless. "Ummm, I think we're gonna get them, maybe tomorrow, I don't know, we can call you?" Really?? They are out NOW on Amazon, and everywhere else for preorder, but GC and Musicans Friend remain without updates or info. Go Figure! Stealth leak weird data rollout campaign maybe not such a good idea. I know they claim they didn't leak it, but whatever, the ads were printed and sent to magazines. Oh well, maybe next time they will the product AND the product release down pat!

Until, Friday, droool, listen, samples, read, drool, post, repeat. Need a JOB. Maybe GC should hire me! They seem pretty clueless, I could do that better and have more fun whilst being paid to talk L6 to 13 y.o,'s!! Hey kid, can you afford an Axe-FX ultra? No? Then check out the new POD HD!!!

X3 recording better than HD
by Brion_Kean on 2010-10-05 08:07:33

"One huge difference with all HD PODs versus the X3 is that you'll only get 2 sends (1/2) through the USB connection."

The X3 offered 8 total sends. 

Line6Miller"

Being able to send the stereo tone 1, stereo tone 2, SPDIF mix of the two, and the dry inputs was very cool about the X3L. UNFORTUNATELY, THE USB CONNECTION WAS FLAWED!! DROPOUTS!!! I guess rather than correct that problem, it got deleted.

The USB send on the X3 is at best a toy. Oh well! I think they are on the right track. Recording, studio, it's all plugins and software and whatnot, relying on the processor power of the computer, ever expanding, always getting faster with more RAM and more space, etc.

Since the X3L didn't cut it on stage, nor really in studio, I am happy with the direction toward the stage, away from the studio..

I guess I am KEEPING MY X3L!!! LOL, that decision just got a lot easier... Now, time to spend $50 instead of $500, and get a new computer that can hang with POD FARM 2.0!!!!! hahahahahaha

Still going to scope that new DT50 when it comes out, that is the bomb, and will eclipse the POD HD in terms of wowness!

by GeeTah on 2010-10-05 09:31:22

Andy:

You said to keep sumitting feedback. OK. Then I would say that a rack-mounted HD unit would be highly-accepted by the user base. I think Timothy who also posted on this thread agrees.

Bradley GT

by timothybaugh on 2010-10-05 11:15:04

Sorry if I put words in your mouth Line6miller ... I glad there may be some exciting developments with POD Farm ..

by timothybaugh on 2010-10-05 11:23:06

I think a rack mounted unit will be essential to compete with Avid's Eleven Rack [which I think is direct competiton to the Line 6 product line] and the Axe-fx [Line 6 may not be in direct competition, but may win business from people who want a high-end rack unit for recording and live use, but who can't justify the £1.8K price tag of the Axe].

Either way I'd buy one ...

Interestingly my local GAS emporium has sold quite a few Eleven Racks .. I think they're proving popular, as they sound good and can be had for £679 in the UK.

by GeeTah on 2010-10-05 11:43:18

Hey Timothy:

I can say that I have had experience with Avid's Eleven Rack and it's a really neat system - we shelved two X3 Pro's in favor of Eleven when we found that the X3 Pro foot controller (FBV MKII Shortboard and FBV MKII) responded to ambient light (especially moving spot lights like "follow-spots") going across the FBVs - basically un-muting them, even when kicked back in the full-off position. We had an TRULY embarrasing thing happen when one of our pastors was giving a special prayer in our main sanctuary (which seats 5750 people and was packed)  and a follow spot went across our lead guitarist's pedal at the same time un-muting a wailing lead which the guitarist was playing into his looper during the prayer. I almost lost my job over it.... I mean it went out at about 115db during TOTAL silence.... I was told that going to Line 6 and selling all of our SansAmps (which was my idea) was a mistake. I prayed a lot that night and still have my job.

We still have multiple X3 in the field at our multi-campus church and I support them all.

My 2 cents is that the Eleven is far more realistic PLAYING (ie feel - picking dynamics), but sonically not that much different in output. The guitarists RAVE about the Eleven. But, I have done tight A/B comparisons and to my (engineer's) ears and also as a guitarist it's a toss up. Another thing is that I HATE the cabling/patch setup on the Eleven if you're going to do the 4 cable method. It has 2 XLR outs on the back, but one of the quarter inch outs is on the front.... looks crummy to me in the rack.... There is simply NO rack-mounted processor that is more aesthetically pleasing in a rack than an X3 Pro - it is gorgeous (to look at).

Another thing is that I TOTALLY MISS being able to sync all of my pedal boards and racks to the same Computer editor (Gearbox). That made my life SO much better and I have to change the patches constantly to follow the set list. The Eleven has an editor too and it interfaces with our ProTools system and that's OK I guess. But having to use two has defeated my whole purpose...

IMPORTANT:

The one thing that was THE MOST disappointing out of all of the X3 issues and floorboard issues was that nobody from Line 6 ever bothered to contact me on the forum or otherwise about the problems with the FBV's light-sensitivity (which the X3L had too).... although they did stand behind several of our units under Sweetwater's (they are great) extended warranty. Currently, we have more than a dozen X3L's in use now and have requests for 9 more. I am waiting on that for obvious (HD) reasons. I guess they had already discontinued the units internally when we started experiencing the light sensitivity problems - but, guys that was VERY uncool.

I do have high hopes for the HD and DO hope that we see a rack mounted unit. The HD appears to have the same type of picking dynamics and responsiveness that the Eleven Rack has (which basically means that it will respond to more/less intense picking with slight/lots of breakup without hitting the digital noise wall, which is where everything falls apart soncially).

Rock on and blessings to all!

Bradley GT

Eph. 5:19!

by timothybaugh on 2010-10-05 12:01:19

Interesting feedback. I've been impressed by what I've seen and heard of the Eleven Rack, but I have invested too much time and money in Line 6 gear to change suppliers [it seems like I have one of everything]. I can get good tones from my X3 and my even my original POD and I still use my old Flextone II amp every now and then. And I think POD Farm is an excellent product. I look forward to the POD HD Rack ....

by GeeTah on 2010-10-05 16:08:52

Thanks Timothy. I look forward to it as well.

Best,

Bradley GT

Re: X3 recording better than HD
by bbenham on 2010-10-06 15:28:14

"One huge difference with all HD PODs versus the X3 is that you'll only get 2 sends (1/2) through the USB connection."

The X3 offered 8 total sends.

Line6Miller"

Hope that's not a forever and always will be.  Maybe added via firmware patch at a future date?  Seems like such a waste of a good USB port.  And if USB itself just wasn't cutting it maybe adding a Firewire option or replacing the USB 2.0 with a USB 3.0 compliant port would have been smart?

by spaceatl on 2010-10-06 16:18:34

LOL!

and after the POD HD Ultra is POD 3D...built-in beer replicater and condom dispenser...3D tone and virtual groupie holograms...Go Line 6!!!

by edvsauer on 2012-03-18 04:00:05

It's unbelievable that the POD HD can't be run through a VST Plugin by now. It's quite some time now since the HD produced were introduced as being "revolutionary".

Not being able to run them PODs via a VST Plugin (Gearbox was best!) means to turn back to the early days of harddisk recording. How could that happen?!

Don't you know that if you have to record the wet signal you lose all flexibiltiy?!! I'll eat my shoes if you tell me it was planned that way!. So what went wrong?

So even though I bought a POD HD one, I'll have to go on recording using Amplitube3.

8:o(((

by charles55 on 2012-07-07 22:11:24

I always use POD FARM 2.0 for playing & recording at home. I hope POD HD can be developed as a VST Plug In. That would be AWESOME & Very Flexible for recording.

by eirikhh on 2013-02-28 06:43:00

So its been 2,5 years since my original post...just checking in to see if something has come up...nothing. I'm dissapointed. What direction has the POD Farm development taken? Is it dead? but with no official comment?

(I still do most of my work in sculpting sound on my computer, mixing tracks etc. Having the ability to go back and adjust the gain on a guitar track for example, or turn off the reverb, without going through reamping and hardware and a mess of patches, is still the way to go!! Is it just me, or did this simple idea of convenience become obsolete?)

by DeanDinosaur on 2013-02-28 10:32:24

I don't think it would be significant time to por POD HD models to PC and Mac. , they just have to milk POD Farm that exists in many of their hardware that can't run a pod farm HD.  Come back in another 5 years maybe.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.