These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD and a DT50 Question
by theshifty on 2010-10-01 15:06:31

I really only have one question that I must have answered.

The DT50 series gives you two channels and what amounts to 4 tonal options through the use of switches on the front. It also my understanding that through the L6 connection that the POD can control the switching of the DT50, based on the preset you switch to on the POD. So the amp settings and presets are able to be programmed somehow into the POD.

If this is the case, does the POD switching of the amp limit you to one of the two channels you have already programmed into DT50, or does the POD allow you to access any sound you can get out the amp through the use of the analog amp switches, which would actually allow you use all 4 amplifier options as necessary? WOuld it be possible to use the POD/amp combination to program patches around all 4 tube path types and have them all be recalled as programmed during live performance?

If this the case, I'm in. This to me is the ultimate marriage of analog and digital.

Re: POD HD and a DT50 Question
by TheRealZap on 2010-10-01 15:17:25

the amp settings are stored in the tone on the HD and are recalled on channel A of the AMP....

turning the AMP off on the HD turns on channel B and it uses the settings dialed in on B

basically a manual mode.

you can create patches to basically call up all 4 of the tones built into the amp...

BUT you aren't limited to that when you have a pod HD... because you have all 16 amps available as digital pre-amps as well.

by toasterdude on 2010-10-01 15:22:23

zap3nc wrote:

the amp settings are stored in the tone on the HD and are recalled on channel A of the AMP....

turning the AMP off on the HD turns on channel B and it uses the settings dialed in on B

basically a manual mode.

you can create patches to basically call up all 4 of the tones built into the amp...

BUT you aren't limited to that when you have a pod HD... because you have all 16 amps available as digital pre-amps as well.

I'd really like a good explanation of the routing. I would think that if I am using a POD with the DT that the POD would be connected after the digital tone stacks supplied as front ends to DT.

But, if you decide to use FX only on POD then the DT would need to reroute the signal to before digital tone stack?

Not sure what advantage if any that gives you? What sound can I get from the digital tonestack that I can't from the POD? Maybe for guys that want a channel switching amp with POD as pedalboard? Don't really get that either.

by guitars69 on 2010-10-01 15:30:36

I could be wrong but I think the DT50 is barely digital as far as you're concerned.  It uses digital switching but I think the preamp is a real tube preamp.  When you plug in the pod it's like going to the FX return.  You then use the pod's preamps, or whole amp sim if you want, and when you switch models, it tells the tube poweramp to switch to whatever you've set up.  In the end you are using the Pod as a preamp, and the DT50 as a power amp that changes to match the appropriate model.

For effects only, assuming you can still use the L6 LINK for that, it would just route the pod to the "front" input allowing you to use the onboard tube preamp and power amp with the pod as just an effects unit that can still switch the power amp settings.

Hopefully Karl or someone who has one can verify this.

EDIT

I must be wrong.  the add says "Advanced HD modeling technology" so it must use some digital preamp.  I still think the layout above is mostly correct though 

by TheRealZap on 2010-10-01 15:33:26

i understand that... i think marketing is the biggest hurdle here... but find one to listen to when they come out...

the analogue power amp really lifts the digital feel from the models...

its very hard to explain....

the L6 Link switches the internal components on the amp....

when i switched the modeled amp off and went to channel b on the DT the effects still worked....

i didn't do much more than check it out, when i get a chance i'll see if that includes bother pre and post effects...

because i honestly was just testing it and not getting to detailed.

you can't get the analogue tube part from the pod alone... thats not to say that the full models arent great....

again i think its hard to relay... but its something that will grab you real quick when you get some time with it.

think of it as an added level of realism.... maybe....

by spaceatl on 2010-10-01 15:34:23

It can be all of the above...It's actually 16 tonal options on the DT50 by itself...NFL 4 Class AB Pentode, NFL 4 Class AB Triode, NFL 4 Class A Pentode, NFL 4 Class A Triode...That's 4 different tones...4(NFL)*2(Class)*2(Mode)...

The setup works in all the ways you describe...But it is how you tweak the patch model in the POD that determines what is going on with the amp modeling. and how you patch it up ...

The HD PODs have 16 amp models, right?...No, That is actually incorrect...There are actually 32 amp models in the HD PODs...Each amp model has mode parameter that toggles PRE/FULL...This choice on the patch will change how you want to setup the topo on the DT50...Considering the 16 sounds on the DT 50...It's sorta like there are 48 amp models to choose from...start changing the topo setting from the model default and I think the number shoots up into the 512 tone possibility range...change out around the live cabs and the number is probably getting close to 5000 possible tone combinations...I am just guessing I have not calculated it...

1. Line 6 link HD FULL Amp Models - If you are using Full amp model patches then you need to take the Atomic approach and set the DT-50 to Class A Pentode NFL 2...The reason is that the models that are actually AB models have the Class AB distortion in them...I vary the NFL sometimes...but mostly I stick with Class A Pentode NFL 2 or 3...In the case of the power amp itself, the nfl is the Negative Feedback Loop...

2. Line Link HD PRE Amp Models - This mode the game changer...The models become preamp models and you pick the topo that matches the preamp...or can use whatever setting you like...The amp models in the DT50 are disabled and the power section is an analog power amp modeler...

HD Amp button...In either approach, when the Amp button is on, the HD model is being used on channel A (HD400 is what I have, 500 is a little different)...turning off the amp button changes the DT50 channel to B where it is that channel as it is set...Cake...eat it too....

3. 4 Cable Method - You could 4 cable in the DT50 preamp in the HD FX loop (no system link)... you need one conventional channel switch...Or I should say I do because I have an HD400...

or...

if you have the 500 you run a midi cable to DT50 and the topo changes with the patches the same way it does on the link, but you are 4 cabled in where you could use the DT50 Amp channels set how ever or the HD amp models...The FX Loop turn them on and off...

by TheRealZap on 2010-10-01 15:35:05

the pod can work entirely from the L6 LINK without the front input... even with the amp modeling disabled.

by spaceatl on 2010-10-01 15:39:21

The preamps in the DT50 are indeed digital...Power section is similar to an SV in terms of the 4 tubes represent the power amp...

V1 is NOT cascaded,

EL34s instead of 5881s

morphes into 16 different power amp responses on the fly

by theshifty on 2010-10-01 15:56:28

I'm having a hard time trying to phrase my next question...let me see if I can get this right.

Essentially, I can keep my signal path analog through the amp, and use the POD for control, FX, and coloring the tone. Is accessing any modeling a necessity when using the POD in conjunction with the DT50? Could I just, for example, bypass most everything except the amp itself and a couple of simple effects, such as reverb?

I'm sorry if these appear to be the questions of a dummy, I'm just trying to get an idea of how basic a setup one could run if one would choose to do so. Like I said, I don't know if I am actually getting my questions across clearly.

by theshifty on 2010-10-01 16:00:27

So the difference between a Spider Valve (what I currently play) and the DT50/POD combination's signal architecture is the power amp's ability to switch configurations?

by guitars69 on 2010-10-01 16:06:21

That and the HD models, routable effects, and M13 effects not available in the Spider

by spaceatl on 2010-10-01 16:06:50

Cool man...I love my MK1...Still trying to get my head around 1.5 on the MK2...but I am liking it...

Yes...that is it correct...and the amp models are different...I heard that they have 10x more information in them than previous...

by TheRealZap on 2010-10-01 16:07:26

that and the way improved models that the new Pod HD's offer... they aren't the same models... if if they are maybe modeled from the same amp.... new tech.

by spaceatl on 2010-10-01 16:10:40

In terms if the DT50 itself, yes it has HD amp models...But the routeable FX and M13 FX are not on the amp by itself...Well, each channel has a reverb, so I guess it has one M13 effect...I was contrasting the power sections only between the two amps...This stuff will make your brain hurt...but it is pretty freaking cool...

by toasterdude on 2010-10-01 18:03:49

spaceatl wrote:

In terms if the DT50 itself, yes it has HD amp models...But the routeable FX and M13 FX are not on the amp by itself...Well, each channel has a reverb, so I guess it has one M13 effect...I was contrasting the power sections only between the two amps...This stuff will make your brain hurt...but it is pretty freaking cool...

I think I saw somewhere that the reverb on the DT 50 was spring? I took that to mean real spring and not modeled spring. I doubt they would only supply spring if they were going to have modeled verb in the DT 50?

by spaceatl on 2010-10-01 19:40:14

Well, I think it might be a version of that really cool Twin Spring M model verb...Anyway, there is only one verb setting that I know of...Well, two...One on each channel...No spring box in the bottom of the amp...If there is a way to change it, I have not found it yet...this amp without the HD is basically a two channel amp...plug in a channel switch some pedals and go...midi and system link open up some real possibilities for advanced usage I think...

by johndkeene on 2010-10-02 07:31:14

DT50 availability?  Haven't seen any mention of when they'll be on the street...  POD HD is mentioned as Oct 8th.

by Brion_Kean on 2010-10-02 13:46:24

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-HD-500/dp/B003OUX8ZM

by ozbadman on 2010-10-02 13:55:06

Looks like Oct 15 for DT50s.

http://www.amazon.com/Line-DT50-1x12-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B0045EO6QQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1286052832&sr=1-1

by ethyl80 on 2010-10-02 20:45:51

when running through the L6 Link, are stereo tones converted to mono to be output to the power amp of the DT50?

by Vettaville-nl on 2010-10-03 03:38:22

ethyl80 wrote:

when running through the L6 Link, are stereo tones converted to mono to be output to the power amp of the DT50?

Yes, DT50 is a mono amp, however when connecting 2 DT50's through L6 LINK and assigning them left and right in the L6Link setup screen will give you the stereo again.

Good Times

- Hans

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.