These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Volume fluctuations + distortion with Acousic 700
by hilu on 2010-10-04 14:50:50

Hi everybody,

since about two weeks I now encounter serious sound problems with my Variax Acoustic 700:

The guitar (power supply through the XPS only, no batteries) looses volume to a considerable degree and produces some distortion after a few minutes of playing. Volume returns back to normal when I turn the model select knob or, seemingly, when I play extra hard, close to breaking the strings. Unfortunately, the same problem occurs again a few minutes later, independent of the chosen model.

Seems like a dodgy DSP to me, I suspect the on-board compresor in particular. Right?

Has anybody else encountered this problem, and what is the best solution?

The instrument is still under warranty (the last few days... the original one I bought was replaced only four months later because of the notorious "detaching bridge syndrome", and now number two fails to work reliably...not exactly what makes a constantly gigging musician happy...), but I still hope that there is a solution that is much simpler than returning the instrument for the second time from Germany to the UK where I bought it and having to cover postage and packing plus the disadvantage of not having the guitar available for gigs until it is repaired or replaced.

Thanks in advance

Ulf

RE: Volume fluctuations + distortion with Acousic 700
by Line6Hugo on 2010-10-07 10:18:32

The first thing I would recommend would be to re-install the flash memory on the guitar by interfacing with either the workbench interface or a PODxt/X3 Live, POD X3 Pro, a Vetta II amp, or POD HD500. Use Line 6 Monkey with the Variax connected to one of these devices and connect the interface to your computer. Select to re-install the flash memory.

If the problem persists, or if you are unable to do any of the above, you will need to take it to an authorized service center to investigate the problem.

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

RE: Volume fluctuations + distortion with Acousic 700
by hilu on 2010-10-08 00:43:27

Hi Line6Hugo,

Thanks for your hint. I will try to re-install the flash memory with the workbench tonight... hope it works, keep your fingers crossed.

However, there's an unanswered part to the story: As I explained, the instrument is still under warranty. So just in case re-installing the flash memory does not work, will I have to send the instrument back to the shop in England where I bought it in order to have it checked by an authorized service tech (at Line6 UK in this case, I suppose), or may I also contact ASA Akustik, which is just a stone's throw away from my place and your authorized service center for southern Germany?

Thanks in advance for a quick reply.

Ulf

Re: RE: Volume fluctuations + distortion with Acousic 700
by pdpadfield on 2011-01-07 06:43:56

Hi - I've had my Variax 700 acoustic for a few months and recently updated the software via workbench.  I'm now get a similar problem to what was described in this thread.  I wondered if re-installing the flash memory solved the problem?   Thanks.  Paul

by pdpadfield on 2011-01-10 07:29:25

This is a follow-up to my last post.  I re-installed the latest flash memory for the Acoustic 700 and the problem continued.  As described earlier, the volume would be very low and occasionally would kick back in if you strummed very hard or also if the power to the direct box was turned off and then on.  I then re-installed the older flash memory.  This seemed to work for a while, but now is doing a similar thing.  I'm wondering if this is a hardware issue.  Any advice or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Paul

by hilu on 2011-05-26 07:49:22

Hi pdpadfield,

This may come a little late, but anyway... The solution to my problem was only a temporary one. The whole story started all over in the meantime, and - even worse - the Variax does not connect to Workbench any more.

Have you found any solution in the meantime?

What makes me particularly angry is that no one at Line6 answered the warranty issue I raised. The warranty period is over now, even though the problems started while under warranty...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.