These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Stompbox Modelers / ToneCore

DL 4 and fx loop
by ntymchak on 2010-10-06 04:59:00

I´ve just bought a DL4 delay modeler. As I have a tube amp (marshall jvm410c), of course I intend to use it´s beautiful distortion. As anyone knows, if you want to use the amp´s distortion, you do have to place the delay in the fx loop channel, so it will go after the preamp. When I did so, I lost 10/20% of the volume, and the sound lost it´s brightness and beauty. Then I checked all possible cables and connections, it was everything right.

This morning, I found a post here from Line6Miller (http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3965),where he said:

"Line 6 does not support the use of any Line 6 Four Button modeling pedal in an effect loop as the Line 6 Modeling pedals are designed for instrument level (guitar/bass output) to be inserted between the instrument and the amplifier. The signal strength of a line level signal (i.e. an effect loop) can cause the input buffers to fail."

"It is up to the player to determine how to set the effect loop level according to personal taste, but Line 6 does not recommend placing any Line 6 Four Button modeling pedal in an effect loop."

Is it real? Did Line 6 really build a delay pedal that CANNOT go through the FX loop? Does it mean that I cannot use my tube amp? Even if I put the DL4 in the amp front, at loud volumes the sound distorts (isn´t that exactly why we love tube amps so much?), which would mess up the sound, as the delay, in this situation, would be placed before the preamp.

If all that is true, why didn´t Line 6 write on the DL4 box: NON SUITABLE FOR TUBE AMPS, or DOESN´T RUN THROUGH THE FX LOOP?????

You see, putting the delay effect on the fx loop in not some weird or excentric choice, but it´s the thing to do if you want a professional tone!

To build a delay effect that does not go through the fx loop is almost like building a car that cannot run on big cities, or a boat that cannot get wet...

Please, Line 6, tell me I´m wrong, or I will have to announce this little detail all over the internet, so that no one else will ever face this problem again.

Thanks,

Nelson Tymchak

Re: RE: DL 4 and fx loop
by Line6Hugo on 2010-10-08 14:32:04

Nelson,

The DL4 was designed with instrument level inputs and outputs, which may not work correctly when fed directly through a line level effects loop.  For this reason alone, we cannot recommend it as a line level effect for a line level effects loop.  We even released the now discontinued Echo Pro for studio line level usage:

http://line6.com/legacy/echopro.html

However, even though it has instrument level ins/outs, that has not stopped many, many, musicians, beginner to pro, from utilizing them within their guitar rigs.  Some can just put it within their effects loops and it works just fine.  Some amps have level adjustments for the Effects send and Effects return to set it to work better with all types of pedals.  And if there is a problem with level, with a certain device a professional musician will recognize that not all effects devices have the same input/output levels and tolerances.  So, for this reason, they can use additional gear such as this Ebtech Line Level Shifter when using gear with different output level than what you need:

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/llsdes.html

The DL4 has been made this way since it was first released with countless musicians using it every day.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by ntymchak on 2010-10-15 11:09:14

Thank you for your kind answer.

Today I went back to the store and changed the dl4 for a Boss giga delay. The Boss devide has a function to use when you want to connect through the fx loop channel. Line 6 should consider this possibility, fairly reasonable, as even a professional musician could not guess this particular caracteristic of the dl4 just by looking at it.

Best,

Nelson

by julianh74 on 2011-01-10 21:05:49

a fx loop with -10 db fix the problem?
(example marshall jvm4. has a dial-10db or +4 db)

remember that the device operates at-10dB ebtech

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.