These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Strange Sounds in POD XT
by TGun on 2010-10-12 12:41:00

Hello.

I have a POD XT, that I have used for many years now and I allways loved the sound it makes.

I Turned it of as usuall a few days ago. I woke up and went to play guitar using my POD XT, but when I turned it on like so many days and years befor I got a different sound from the same "tune" I played the day befor.

The sound had a "volume changer (volume goes up and down)" suddenly and the sound souded "thin". I tried some of the other tunes i use from the memorybank of POD XT but they were all messed up in one way or another, and they all was ruined. Everyone of the tunes have the same name and preset as the day befor, but the sound it makes now is just terrible...

I tried flashing the memory from my computer and that was successful, but the bad sound continued.

I tried not using it for 1 day, but the sound was still messed up.

I tried taking out the powercord, but the sound is still wrong.

How can I bring back the sound I allways had from my POD XT, and get rid of the strange "bug/ghost" in the POD XP?

Tommy G

Re: Strange Sounds in POD XT
by Triryche on 2010-10-12 13:10:46

How are you montoring the PODxt?

Did you try a new guitar cable?

Did you have active pick-ups? If so, check/change the battery.

by TGun on 2010-10-13 07:51:26

Connected to computer via USB, Line 6 Monkey to flash it - no changes.

Use Headset, tried changing it - no changes.

Use my Line 6 Spider Valve MKII 112 - no changes.

Tried alot of cables - no changes

Not active pick-ups, so no batteries.

RE: Strange Sounds in POD XT
by Line6Hugo on 2010-10-14 13:18:11

I still cannot verify if there is a problem with the PODxt; if it just sounds different, or if it is not sounding as it should.

Saying it sounds bad could mean that the settings have changed (for whatever reason) and just need to be adjusted.

When re-installing the flash memory, are you making sure NOT to keep the existing patches and to let the update install new default presets?

The only way to verify if there could be a problem is by checking with another POD set to the same settings and testing if they sound different than each other.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: Strange Sounds in POD XT
by TGun on 2010-10-14 14:17:08

It sounds different than it did 1 week ago, and I checked another POD XT at the local music store and the sounds like mine used to sound,

I also checked the presets of the songs to see if something had been changes and saved in them by mistake, but it had the same presets in the tunes as the one in the store.

Example:

Nr 13: Run Like Hell - should be a clean harmonic tune with echo, nice to play slow and such, but now it suddenly have a flange effect, the volume goes up and down all the time, and it's suppose to be a steady volume on that tune, and it sounds "hollow/thin".

Yes, I didn't keep the old preset and patched over the current one to the lastest from Line 6 Monkey.

When i play it through my amplifier the flange effest on "run like hell" dissapears, but it still isn't the usual sound because of the POD XT fault.

RE: Strange Sounds in POD XT
by Line6Hugo on 2010-10-14 16:57:17

Tgun,

If it is no longer sounding how it should after re-installing the flash memory, you will need to determine if this is problem with the hardware or not. Does it have a different sound, or does it have a bad sound.

Either way, if it does not sound right after the re-installation of the flash memory and comparing with another PODxt (with the same flash memory version), you will need to take it to an authorized service center:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by slothrop1234 on 2010-10-16 16:51:09

Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my PODxt, I have two guitars with active pickups that have been working for a couple years with the POD.  I recently plugged one in as usual and it  popped, crackled and sounded thin as the other user stated then the sound died completely, I tried the second active pickup guitar and the same thing happened.  I changed the batteries and tried different cables, unfortunately, I don't have an amp to try at the moment.  I am connected with USB and the pc is running windows7, I have not yet tried re-installing the software.

I also have a guitar with passive pickups that works just fine through the POD.

by TGun on 2010-10-17 08:36:57

You use headphones to get the sound from POD XT, or u connect it to your computer and get the sound from there?

And if you connect it to your computer, you use headset or speakers to get sound from computer?

by slothrop1234 on 2010-10-17 14:42:17

I use headphones, monitors or run the pod out through a stereo amp.  Like I said it works for my passive pickup guitar but not the actives.  It's almost like the active pickups got fried somehow when I plugged them into the pod, I don't even know if that's possible but its a strange coincidence that both stopped working when plugged in.

by slothrop1234 on 2010-10-18 06:14:10

I re-installed the drivers and re-flashed now it is working again.

by inferno567890 on 2012-07-21 08:02:39

Hi

I'm having exactly similar problem like TGun. the volume suddenly goes up and down, the tones got distorted and the tap button always blinks. I flashed memory through line 6 monkey but its still there. I've taken my pod xt to service centre, they have checked and confirmed its not a hardware prob and asked to check with line 6. Would be really grateful if you can help me out.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.