These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD 500 Crashed. Please Help.
by donkisot on 2010-10-12 21:53:36

Hi, I just got my POD HD 500, plugged it in and updated the flash memory. Everything was working fine until the unit suddenly reset itself and couldn't go further than the title page where the LIne 6 logo comes up. I tried reinstalling the flash memory by using the test mode, now it says update flash memory and nothing else and I tried reinstalling the flash memory more than 10 times in every usb port available on my computer. I am stuck! Please help me.

Re: POD HD 500 Crashed. Please Help.
by rodney13 on 2010-10-12 22:33:54

I dont know if this will help but some X3 live owners encounted the same problem and they talked about booting up in safe mode and then do a reflash  but as i dont have a HD i dont know if it has that option.

i was intending on getting a HD 500 soon but i are starting to wonder if line 6 have fixed the past problems

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-12 22:49:08

OK

It seems like you do need to re-flash your unit.

Does Line 6 Monkey v1.34 detect the HD500?  If so, good.

At what point does Monkey/the flash update fail?  Do you get any messages on your computer screen?

If the update fails because of a communication error, try selecting NO when asked if you want to keep your presets.  You should really have these backed up if you have customised any before you tried the update anyway.

The update should work if you run the HD500 in normal mode, but occasionally a particular flash update file may prevent that, so you can run in 'SAFE' mode which i think you've done already.  Safe mode is the same as Test mode where you hold down the Right button on the D-Pad whilst you apply power.

Best regards

Nick

by donkisot on 2010-10-12 22:54:29

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Monkey sees Pod HD 500 without a problem and goes through the update procedure without a problem and says the update was successful in the end. When I reset the unit as instructed, it says UPDATE FLASH on the screen so it still doesn't work.

P.S. : I tried running in Test mode and updating, still with the same results.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-12 23:04:12

Hi

OK - I haven't seen that before.  I seem to remember early on in the beta that there was a factory reset procedure, although I can't be sure whether it will still work now.

I'll take a look through my notes and get back to you.

regards

Nick

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-12 23:32:15

Hi

The factory reset procedure for the HD500 going back a couple of months and which worked for me at that time was to hold down the Left D-Pad button whilst powering the HD500 on.  However, take this with a big pinch of salt as it may no longer work like that.

If you still experience issues it might be worth giving Line 6 Technical Support a call on the number you'll find for the US or UK offices from the Contact Us link at the foot of the page.

Good luck

Regards

Nick

by donkisot on 2010-10-13 02:13:32

Didn't work... I think I'll call the technical support tomorrow. Thanks though.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2010-10-13 03:02:36

On the 300 it was hold the A pedal whilst powering up. Try that.

by ReverendLove on 2010-10-13 05:35:37

When I did my first update on my HD using Monkey I had a similar issue.

I tried to do the update via monkey and it says something like "communication broke" (No, it wasn't a Jimmy Page preset btw.)

Then I had the same behaviour with the "freezed" Line 6 screen on my HD's display.

Now I did the following: I downloaded the file for the firmware from the software page and used the "manual" process with the monkey,

where you have to pick the file on your hard disk. Monkey picked it up sended it to my HD (needs some minutes)

and then everything worked fine.

Just try that.

by Rowbi on 2010-10-13 05:44:40

Mr_Arkadin wrote:

On the 300 it was hold the A pedal whilst powering up. Try that.

just a warning... I've seen before, the 300 and 400 reset is to hold the channel A button during power up... but if I remember correctly that does something else to the HD500... possiblay causes issues...

So for resetting the HD500 ONLY hold the d pad left when powering up.  for the HD300/400 ONLY hold channel A when powering up.

the difference is because the architecture is different between the 2.. HD300/400 are similar.  HD500 is different.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-13 06:05:43

I suspect the HD500 factory reset procedure I used early in the beta test no longer works.  I read a post - I think from Line6Miller the other day as I recall- that said there was no factory reset procedure for the HD500 except to flash the unit.

That being the (probable) case you're a bit stuck if your unit won't accept the update properly

Nick

by donkisot on 2010-10-13 23:18:21

Thanks for your help everyone. Unfortunately, none of the methods worked for the unit so I just replaced it with a new one. (that's the fortunate part!) I'm plugging it in! We'll see what happens. Thanks again!

by sesmls1 on 2010-10-13 23:39:13

I just experienced the same issue this evening.  Was editing my patches in the HD 500 edit program with the HD 500 connected via USB to my Mac, and connected to my amp, via left output to effects loop return.

I was creating a patch with two amplifiers, and in the process of changing one of the amp models, when the sound suddenly cut out, the unit started sending a periodic clicking noise to my guitar amp, and the Line 6 logo flashed repeatedly on the screen.

I tried reflashing several times, both manually and via automatic download in Line 6 Monkey (it would only recognize connection to my HD500 if I held down the directional button at startup), and in all cases, it said that the reflashing was successful, but rebooting the HD500, I experienced the same clicking and repeated startup logo on the screen.

Guess I will be on the phone to tech support tomorrow morning, hoping they can walk me through a procedure to fix this thing.

by ReverendLove on 2010-10-14 02:35:44

What I want to add, is the fact that I loose connection to my PC sometimes.

Since I changed the delivered USB cable I don't have any issues.

by sesmls1 on 2010-10-14 15:16:09

I spoke with Perry in technical support this morning regarding my HD 500 that will now only keep showing the Line 6 logo over and over, even after several starts in Safe mode and attempts to reload firmware. 

His only suggestion was to return the unit, as they really wanted to find out might have happened.  I gave him a fairly complete description of the patch I was building when it crashed.  The patch had a boost compressor and overdrive on the front end, followed by a noise gate, then two amps in parallel, a JTM45 and Bassman pre, followed by the mixer, then a volume pedal, a spring reverb and another boost compressor.  I was setting up the patch so that only the JTM45, spring reverb and volume pedal were "active", but when FS4 was pressed, the JTM45 would become inactive, and the Bassman pre would become active along with the compressors, distortion and noisegate.  It was in the process of setting up this patch that HD500 crashed, never to recover.

Perry informed me that the Spring Reverb is a "DSP hog" (the '63 version even more so), and that the Room Reverb would use less processing power.

I'm returning the unit to American Musical, and have ordered a new one from GC

by ricksox on 2010-10-15 10:55:06

@donkisot, I'd like to take a closer look at this for you.

I created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Line6Miller

by blahblahdeleter on 2010-10-15 20:20:42

ReverendLove wrote:

When I did my first update on my HD using Monkey I had a similar issue.

I tried to do the update via monkey and it says something like "communication broke" (No, it wasn't a Jimmy Page preset btw.)

Then I had the same behaviour with the "freezed" Line 6 screen on my HD's display.

Now I did the following: I downloaded the file for the firmware from the software page and used the "manual" process with the monkey,

where you have to pick the file on your hard disk. Monkey picked it up sended it to my HD (needs some minutes)

and then everything worked fine.

Just try that.

Just to be on the safe side, I updated my new HD500 using this manual method and it worked great.

by pedzel on 2010-12-03 02:25:21

Hello ! whether the problem is solved?

Re: POD HD 500 Crashed. Please Help. solved for while
by EliezyGuittar on 2011-04-23 13:48:14

I managed to solve the problem, just holding two buttons."TAP footswitches" and "ENTER amp&fx on/off " buttons, he returned to the home screen with 1A: Son Of Plexi showing in LED POD HD500, but the engineers at Line 6 have to solve this problem with new FLASH i did the upgrade FLASH 1.22, and got the same problem, and i discovered that the problem is something related to the DSP,cuz i made ​​a patch with the greatest effect possible to be with good sound synthesized, and when i turn on my FS2 and FS3 footswitches for example, it turns itself off the screen showing the LINE6 every 5 seconds, then again I did just holding two buttons."TAP footswitches" and "ENTER amp&fx on/off " buttons, he returned to the home screen with 1A: Son Of Plexi showing in LED POD HD500 solving the problem .. so, i have helped, i'm from Brazil my English is a little weak, but i hope you understand well

Eliezy Guittar

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.