These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Share Your Settings

Angus tone
by markandrew68 on 2009-04-10 06:15:40

Looking to get an Angus Young tone out of the spider valve, now I know theres alot of AC/DC fans out there. Someone must have an idea

how to get "that sound". I have the guitar now I need the tone without spending thousands on a Marshall and cranking it to 10. Any ideas??

Re: Angus tone
by supertacks on 2009-04-10 07:55:14

The Back in Black and Highway to Hell presets are a good place to start, not perfect but a place to start tweaking.  A lot of the AC/DC sound is a tube amp cranked to 10.  I think either of the crunch models sound pretty decent when playing big open chords.

by slash102 on 2009-04-10 13:44:29

+1 to supertracks, and i get a perfect angus tone from crunch blue, drive at about 2:30, bass just before half, treble and mid around 1 and your there! i have the svpre and when set on yellow or orange it fattens up the tone even more

by bigfish86 on 2009-05-08 20:25:44

Angus Young's tone actually changed over the history of the band.  Early on he used a JTM-45 but as the band progressed he moved to plexi's.  Now, its a common misconception that he just cranked the amp to ten.  In fact, in the studio, he plays a 50W plexi head through channel 2's high input at 5.  i would recommend trying the JTM-45 for a High Voltage era tone and the 50W plexi for all later albums.  Try and keep the drive below 8 to keep the bottom end from flabbing out on you.  Also, if you turn the noise gate off you can get more harmonic response and better feedback.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.