These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

vocoder
by songwaters on 2010-10-23 13:00:32

what steps should i follow exactly to get vocoder working?

Re: vocoder
by squarel7 on 2010-10-23 14:32:57

I am also interested in the optimum settings.  I couldn't really find any factory patches that make use of the vocoder.

by songwaters on 2010-10-23 22:49:59

help! ne1? miller?

with the vocoder it just sounds like im running my guitar n mic on 2 separate chanells.

RE: vocoder
by Kneehow on 2010-10-26 14:34:51

Hi,

POD HD500:

1. Start with a "New Tone". Nothing in the signal path.

2. Go to the first "empty" device slot after the amp. By the way, in my test example the Amp is "disabled". Use the #1 knob to select "Filter". Then use #2 knob to select "Vocoder".

3. Without changing any other parameter settings, plug a dynamic microphone into the Mic input. Make sure the gain Trim knob is up high enough to allow the mic signal to pass through. Plug your guitar into the Guitar In jack.

4. Play a note or chord on your guitar and immediately start speaking into the Mic.

The guitar provides the "Carrier" signal. The Mic provides the "Modulator" signal. Hugo and I just spent a good 30 seconds reliving the 1980's with some vocoder/synth moments.

Back to work now.

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: vocoder
by ggoss3 on 2010-10-26 15:24:44

is having it after the amp the big secret?  I tried this before and I think it had it first in the signal chain, and i couldn't get it to sound good.

by mljacobsmeier on 2011-03-06 19:46:23

Doing exactly what you described, I can get my somewhat "robotized" voice to come through, but it doesn't seem to respond at all to the chord or note I am playing.  I.e., my (somewhat robotized) voice only comes through when I play my guitar -- as it should -- but the vocoder doesn't seem to be tracking the pitch coming from the guitar at all.

by StefanMax42 on 2011-10-29 06:31:57

Sorry, doesn't work here.

If I follow Line6Perry's steps I get a very low signal of the mic in some funny way altered. But regardless whether I I play the guitar or not, it's the same sound.

Mic and guitar levels are set correctly. If I deactivate the vocoder I have a loud and clear mic and guitar signal.

Next attempt: Inserting a tube compressor before and one after the vocoder and rising the respective out levels on these devices to insane 100% I get the above mentioned "funny" voice signal and something is added when I play the guitar.

I have used real hardware - vocoders before. This is definively not a correct vocoder effect let alone the fact that I have to boost the signal in such an insane form.

Any help?

by silverhead on 2011-10-29 07:48:54

StefanMax42 wrote:

Mic and guitar levels are set correctly. If I deactivate the vocoder I have a loud and clear mic and guitar signal.

Using the vocoder, the MIC signal is used along with the Guitar input. You should not set Input 2 to MIC, so you actually should not be getting a loud and clear mic signal with the vocoder deactivated; you should not be hearing anything from the MIC.

by mininoyz on 2012-07-12 14:49:25

Hi,

I followed your steps but nothing happens : the vocoder effect simply cuts off the sound when on. I've tried every settings and read every answer on this forum, but the vocoder effect is the only one that doesn't properly work on my hd500 (with all the latest drivers and stuff installed by the monkey).

Thanks for your help.

by mininoyz on 2012-07-12 15:17:59

Sorry, but the problem has been solved as follow : gain at max ! Mic trim pot, compressor, amp level pretty high and also... I sing louder :lol: The issue is closed for me.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.