These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Availability of Variax Data Cable ?
by Joeleft on 2010-10-26 05:31:41

Hi

I have a Variax 500 and a POD XT Live (also have Spider IV, Shortboard pedal and other Line 6 items) and thought it time that I downloaded the free Workbench software and use it.

For this you need the data cable to connect the two together but I can't find one to purchase.

Line 6 own store says it is unavailable.

I have tried several stores who don't have one.

Are these cables not available any more ?

Does anyone kniow where I can purchase one in the UK.

Thank you.

Re: Availability of Variax Data Cable ?
by TheRealZap on 2010-10-26 05:43:33

obviously you'd want to find the real cable to play... because of the protective ends...

but if you just want to use workbench... there's no harm in using a standard cat5 network cable...

as that is essentially what the VDI cable is... i would try ebay though i see them on there from time to time...

by Joeleft on 2010-10-26 06:36:55

Hi ZAP

Thank you for your reply.

So it's just the same cable as the one which came with my FBV Express Mk II pedal then ??

Are they wired differently to a standard network cable I could buy in a computer shop ??

by TheRealZap on 2010-10-26 06:41:03

exactly the same as a standard cat5 network cable... pretty sure the same as the fbv....

not a crossover cable or anything like that!

and yes wired 100% the same as a standard network cable you'd get in a computer shop

the difference is the ends help protect the socket and the insulation is a bit stiffer...

which would matter if you were going to be playing it like that... but for simply programming it... should not be the slightest issue.

by Joeleft on 2010-10-26 07:06:59

Thank you ZAP.

Much appreciated.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.