These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Connecting the HD500 with 4 cable method?
by ancientalien on 2010-10-26 12:01:31

I wanted to be able to hook the HD500 up to my head with a 4 cable method to utilize the effects properly.

I want to be able to assign pedals like Phaser, Wah, OD, Volume etc to the input of my head.

And at the same time be able to use the delay and reverbs etc thru my loop in my head.

Is this possible?

Or will I be re routing my stomp effects in front of the head back into the loop?

Any help on setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Connecting the HD500 with 4 cable method?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-26 12:09:04

Hi

You can use the 4 cable method with no problem.  You place the FX loop anywhere within the signal chain like you do with the M13 and those FX pre the FX loop will go into the front of your amp whilst those after the loop will be in your amp's loop if you want to do it this way.   However, personally, if I were you I would check out the amp models in the HD500 before you definitely settle on having to do things using the 4CM because the amp models are what makes the HD500 and the 3/400 units shine and i would recommend that you go in to the amp's power amp alone for most of your presets.  The good thing though about the HD500 is that the FX loop is a per preset setting, so for some of your presets you can effectively go 4CM whilst with others where you don't want an FX loop effect block in your presets you can easily bypass the front input of your amp without having to change your wiring setup so you get the best of both worlds

Nick

by ancientalien on 2010-10-26 12:18:56

OK, so I see it can be done.

I have no interest in using any of the amp models in my HD500 for a "Live" setup.

I will be using the amp models for direct recording, which I have no problem with....

I will write out an example so you can see what I am talking about. This IS how I want the system to work, so my question is cable specific for my needs.

I want it to go like this:

Guitar-HD500 Wah, Phaser, OD- Fryette Ultalead Input

UL send to HD500 Delay, Reverb- UL return

I guess I want to be able to run the typical pedals before the input( Phase Wah Volume Etc)

And Delay Reverb Chorus etc in the loop.

So exactly how do I run my cables to and from the HD500 to achieve this?

I will be making probably 8 different banks like this, so I need to know the cable hookups and placement of the loop in the HD500.

Thanks in advance.....

Also, are there any settings that I have to do to the HD500's mixer?

I want the sounds to be isolated from each other if that makes sense, as not to re-loop the tone from my input with the amps effects send, or will that even matter?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-26 12:37:57

OK - I see what you want to do.

Using your example, set up your preset(s) as follows in the HD500 Phase, Wah, Volume, FX LOOP, Delay, Reverb, Chorus. make sure you have the amp models set to OFF.

Assuming your amp has a serial FX loop your cable routing is as follows:

GUITAR > HD500 guitar input

HD500 FX Send > AMP Front input

AMP FX Send > HD500 FX Return

HD500 Output > AMP FX Return

The HD500's FX Loop is capable of stereo on TRS patch/'Y' cables if you want to use two amps in a stereo configuration BTW with some slight modifications to the above routing

Nick

by ancientalien on 2010-10-26 12:48:30

Thanks for that.

I've never used one of these all in one floor units, so I want to use it like I do my monster rack....LOL

I'm just replacing a few stomp boxes and a TC G Force for this little rig.

I know the G Force sounds better, but this HD500 makes life easy for the grab and go gigs for the basic stuff.

Thanks for your help.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-26 12:59:41

You need to try the amp models though if you haven't already - they are pretty good - the best yet in any of the three previous PODs (2.0, XT Live and X3 Live) that I still have.  The routing options are pretty flexible - they don't have to be exactly as I laid out in the example with the HD500.  The HD500 with one of the new DT50 amps is another story too - well worth trying if you get the chance.

I was tempted to say 'why not just get an M13?' if you don't want to use the amp models in the HD500, but i think you will find out all sorts of fun stuff and different configurations as you become familiar with the HD, so enjoy

Good luck with your rig

Regards

Nick

by ancientalien on 2010-10-26 13:21:05

I hear you. I am using this HD500 as a dual purpose unit. One for live stomp boxes and effects and as a direct recording device.

I'm still a tube amp junkie, but love the tones this has for laying down ideas. But for final recordings, I'll always mic up an amp.

I'm an old fart, what can I say.....

Thanks again

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-26 14:05:57

I'm an old fart too LOL, but seriously I am so impressed with the quality of the HD500's models and it is not quite so clear cut in reality as perhaps it used to be when it comes to recording.....

by cGil on 2010-10-26 16:09:29

Ditto on the old phart thing (only 57, but already getting AARP ads), and ditto on the incredible detail of tone in those models.   And ditto on the multi-purpose nature of the HD500!    This thing really will stand very well on its own as a one-pedal-does-all solution.   4 cable method with a loop in the amp?  No sweat.   But the models are SO GOOD that the HD500 is equally suited as being the only tool needed between the guitar and a mixer board or computer.  Or between guitar and the front of an amp without a loop.    Or between guitar and straight up rack tube amp.  Or with headphones for late night noodling.  Whatever!  It'll do it!

Finally we have the right tool to do ALL those jobs superbly.   There is, however, a dark side what with these models now being closer than ever to the feel and tone of genuine hot tubes.   Is this covered by Murphy's Law?   Maybe we should stock up on tubes before the modelers kill the tube market, closing the few remaining tube factories down, and driving tube prices into the stratosphere?   Hey, I still love my tubes.  Even if it's soon to be just an old phart thing.  

Gil...

by ancientalien on 2010-10-26 16:15:59

Now, for some reason, the tap tempo is not working.....

Time to get a G System....LOL

Any reason the tap tempo will not work on the delay.

There is absolutely nothing about this in the advanced manual

by cGil on 2010-10-26 16:42:51

Check the tempo assignment in the delay model's edit screen.

Gil...

by jpage1974 on 2010-12-10 11:12:27

Hi ,

This is my first time posting to the Line 6 forum so forgive me if I am doing it wrong (asking a question in the "wrong place").  I am trying the Four cable method as an option with my new HD 500.  I do appreciate the amazing HD amp sims.  They are great!  But- sometimes I want to hear the sound of my new Blackstar HT-5 come through a bit more.

My entire set up is brand new; HT-5, Line 6 HD 500, and even new Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables.  I have never had a floor effects unit before or uni-directional cables.  My question is:

What way are the cables supposed to go in to the HT -5 head effects loop send and return, and HD 500 unit?  Do the "arrow" ends always go to the "receiving" part of the chain?  I have heard that you don't have to use unidirectional cables unidirectionally but that it is optimal.

Thank you for your help ahead of time!

Jon

by ricksox on 2010-12-10 13:53:06

Jon,

We actually have a video tutorial for this. We're using a Spider Valve in the video but the same rules apply to your amp's FX Loop. Maybe it will help you out a bit.

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-2112

Line6Miller

by jpage1974 on 2010-12-10 14:26:17

Thanks!

I would love to have a 120 minute DVD tutorial on optimizing the HD 500. Is there one in the works?

Rock ON!

Jon

by ricksox on 2010-12-10 15:58:15

Jon, I haven't thought about a full 120 minute tutorial but I can do a bunch of small tutorials and maybe package them up somehow.

Line6Miller

by jeffk4478 on 2011-04-15 20:21:12

i did that with my x3 and my hafler triple giant preamp and i'm pretty happy with it.  I'd hesitated because it seemed kind of blasphemous to let the x3 run the show with the giant in the effects loop but it's better that way.  If you have any type of preamp, or amp with an effects loop,  it's the only way to use the amp and have the effects in the right place (wah before the amp, reverbs after...).

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.