These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

OK - Very Silly Question but I am a POD Newbie - Please help?
by tommy1170 on 2010-10-27 12:08:21

Hello everyone.  I just purchased a new POD HD 400 and I have what I am sure is a very silly question, but I am brand-new to the POD.  However, I am a long-time Line 6 user and currently own several Spider II Amps, a Vetta II Half-Stack, and a Spider Valve MkII Half-stack, as well as POD Farm for the PC.  So I understand Line 6 products for the most part, which probably makes my questions even sillier!  Anyway, here goes:

1. Is there any way to power the POD HD with the Line 6 Link cable (assuming I buy a DT50?).  I have been spoiled by the fact that the FBV and FBV MkII pedals are powered through the ethernet cable that connects them to the other Line 6 amps I have.    I don't love the fact that now I have to have a power outlet by both my POD HD AND the amplifier I am using to play through.  If I connect it to a DT50 using the L6 Link, will that power the POD, or do I still need to use the power adapter that came with the POD HD?  Last but not least, does Line 6 - or anyone else - make a custom cable that would contain the audio cable and the power cable?  Would love to be able to have one cable that both connects the POD HD to my amp and powers the POD HD.  Is this possible in any way shape or form?  I would even consider making one if I had to.  Any knowledge, thoughts or ideas around this?
  2. So I FINALLY figured out how to make the POD HD sound good through my Spider Valve MkII Head and I have to say it was confusing between the output modes, preamp settings, etc., but I got there and the amp models sound amazing.  Is there a way to globally setup these various parameters or do I have to do them all for each preset.
  3. Last but not least, when is the DT50 out?  It seems like a forgone conclusion that the POD HD with the DT50 will be THE way to go to fully realize the potential of the POD for live music (vs. recording, etc.)
  4. BONUS QUESTION - Is there any way I can get the POD HD to work with my Vetta II HD power amp in Stereo?  I tried plugging the POD HD output into the Vetta II Effects Return (using a Y-cable) but I get no sound.  Does there have to be a signal coming from the Vetta II Send jack in order for it to recognize signal coming in from the Return jack?  I would love to be able to run the POD HD through my Vetta head and cab to get true stereo sound out of the POD.  If I plug the POD into the guitar input knob of the Vetta I can't get stereo and the signal is too processed.  Sounds awful.

Thanks folks and apologies for the multiple questions.  I am new to the POD HD 400 but a huge Line 6 fan and very much looking forward to unlocking the potential of this beast.

Tom

Re: OK - Very Silly Question but I am a POD Newbie - Please help?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-27 12:21:52

Hi

I don't have an HD400 - I have the HD500, but I'll give it a go.

1. You cannot power the HD400 via the L6 Link cable.  You must power the HD400 from the supplied PSU
  2. The output mode on the HD models is a global setting
  3. Pass - Line 6 will announce when these amps are available to buy
  4. Your HD400 should work with your Vetta power amp in sockets but you need to put a dummy jack plug into your Vetta's guitar input

Regards

Nick

by tommy1170 on 2010-10-28 08:01:11

Thanks for the answers to my questions.  I tried the Vetta input plug last night and it worked.  Sound GREAT through the Vetta power amp and 4x12 in stereo.

Any thoughts on making a cable with a power supply?  Could this be done.  If I was Line 6 I would do it.

by Zaserty on 2010-10-28 08:37:32

Just curious,

Got a Vetta and will be getting the HD500

1-Is that the best way to go, into the Vetta's FX loop?

2-How do I make a "dummy jack plug into the Vetta's guitar input"

Thanks!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-28 09:24:10

Hi

If you already have a Vetta, with the HD500 you can use the stereo power amp section to plug in the L & R outputs of your HD500, or you can use it using the 4 (or 5 as it's a stereo amp in this case) cable method - with a twist.  And that twist is that you don't have to use the effects loop effect in your presets in the HD500.  That means that some presets could follow this signal path:

Guitar > HD500 Input

HD500 Left FX Send > Vetta Front Input

Vetta FX Send > HD500 Left FX Return

HD500 Left Output > Vetta Left FX Return and HD500 Right Output > Vetta Right FX Return

So what does that give you?

As long as the HD500 preset you're using has the FX loop included you can effectively place some FX like distorions so they go into the front of your Vetta and then you can use the Vetta's included FX too, and then the HD500's clean FX like reverb, delay and modulation can be placed in the Vetta's FX loop.  You'd probably want to turn off amp and cab modelling for any HD500 presets you want routed this way and let the Vetta's modelling handle this.   So this is is what's called the 4 Cable Method (with a fifth cable becase we have a stereo power amp in the Vetta).  And it doesn't stop there - you can use MIDI Program Change messages to switch patches on the Vetta to line up with your requirements on the HD500.

BUT it doesn't stop there either - if you decide you just want pure HD500 with amp models and cab models to go direct into the Vetta's power amp, you CAN leave all your cables connected as per the 4CM above and simply not include the FX Loop effect in the HD500 presets you want to use like this. As the Vetta's pre-amp section will be bypassed because the HD500 preset currently in use will not have an FX loop and the signal flow will be effectively as follows

Guitar > HD500 Input

HD500 Left Output > Vetta Left FX Return/HD500 Right Output > Vetta Right FX Return

If using a Variax with this type of setup, you would use the VDI input on the HD500 rather than on the Vetta.

You can have an empty preset (or effectively a bypass preset) in the HD500 which would allow you to use just pure Vetta sound.

Tone Suck should not be a real issue.

SHORT ANSWERS HERE

The above setup isn't just restricted to the Vetta - any mono amp with serial FX loop can be wired like this and another amp's power amp section can provide the other half of the stereo if you wish.

1. In a shorter answer to your first question - the best way in my opinion  to plug the HD500 or any modeller into the Vetta if you're not interested in the possibilities laid out above, is to go direct from the HD500's outputs into the L/R FX Return sockets on the Vetta
  2. In answer to your second question - a 'dummy jack plug' is simply a 1/4" jack plug with nothing connected to it.

Regards

Nick

by Zaserty on 2010-10-28 12:18:04

Wow Nick, thanks alot for the detailed answer. Cant says thanks enough. Been reading the boards here for a while and u always have great insight.

Since you have so much knowledge maybe u can help me with this one too. Not sure if I should start a new topic....But still its wiring and newbie related so here we go...

Some of the gigs we do we're flown in and we have a backline to use. I usually bring my Vetta HD and use one of their cab but its a pain the butt and I'd like to be able to use the HD500 into the amps provided.

1- Is it possible to have the HD500 go to the board and an amp(for monitoring and I like the feel more than a reg monitor) at the same time?

2- 90% of the time the backline is a variety of Marshalls. To they typically have a serial FX loop? And is there a way to tell?

Thanks again!

Z

by guitar4u on 2010-12-11 08:03:06

This is very helpful! Thanks :)

by silverhead on 2010-12-11 08:17:38

Zaserty wrote:

1- Is it possible to have the HD500 go to the board and an amp(for monitoring and I like the feel more than a reg monitor) at the same time?............

Yes and No. It is possible to send the XLR Balanced Outputs to the board and the 1/4" unbalanced Outputs to an amp, but unfortunately you cannot split the Studio Mode vs. Live Mode in the Outputs. So you have to sned either Studio Mode or Live Mode to both sets of outputs. Since it's probably most important that you send Studio Mode to the board, that suggests you should use an FRFR monitor (e.g. keyboard amp, or just a power amp/cab - no preamp) for the stage. That will ensure that the sound you hear from your on-stage monitor is the same sound you are sending to the board - not coloured by any preamp in your on-stage monitor.

.... but as usual some of our other Experts - like Nick in particular - have other ideas... See his most recent post on this:

http://line6.com/community/thread/51069?tstart=0

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.