These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Variax power problem
by gpaoni on 2010-10-28 05:57:29

I have been playing my Variax 500 for about 7 years now and have always absolutely loved it. I have always used it in conjunction with my PODXT Live and have NEVER had a single problem with either unit.

Two days ago I bought a new amp and wanted to play through it without the POD, so I plugged my Variax into the supplied power box (XPS?). It worked great for about 30 seconds and then it started popping and the red light started flashing. I immediately powered down and unplugged everything.

NOW, when I plug into my POD, the POD won't boot at all. I have to unplug the Variax to get the POD to boot and then plug it back in. The guitar is still being powered by the POD, however, the POD is no longer funtional...can't change banks or sounds...nothing. If I unplug the Variax the POD works fine.

How can I resolve this situation? The Variax is the only guitar I currently own and I can't play with this going on!

THanks.

Gina

Re: Variax power problem
by Jeraxle on 2010-10-28 06:50:01

Do you have batteries installed in your Variax?  If so, take them out.

by gpaoni on 2010-10-28 08:18:26

No,  I have never put batteries in it. LIke I said, I ALWAYS used it with the POD until the other night when I used the TRS cable to plug it into the supplied power box.

by JellyWheat on 2010-10-28 17:16:10

In the words of the famous gladiator, Variax Problematicus:

Ɠ8>ᵆ}..."Tabula materna fortasse concremata?"

One hopes not... perhaps amx05462 will shed some light on this for us....

JellyWheat

by amx05462 on 2010-10-29 14:31:31

it defenitly sounds  like  you  did  some damage to the  guitar .  the  pod  or the  xps    should bot  supply the  same  amount of  power to the  guitar.

my  question would be   is the   power supply  for the  xps   a  line  6  power  supply ?  if  not   that   may  have  caused  the  problem.

the  line 6  power supply    that  i have   puts  out 9 volt  ac  at 2000 ma  or  2 amps.

if  you  have a different  one      it could have   fryed a  resistor.  the  thing to do  would be  to    open  up the   guitar  and  check the  boards  for  any  burnt  components.   if the  guitar  functions      with batterys  correctly    look in the     area  of the    trs board  and  the  vdi board  for  burnt     stuff.

Re: ƓB>D}... ecce, amx o v iv vi ii
by JellyWheat on 2010-10-29 15:14:32

... sapebat, quid juvenis ingeniosum, sapebat !

Ego te saluto

J-W

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.