These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Impulses & Lower Mids
by mdme_sadie on 2010-10-29 17:52:39

I've been enjoying my shiny new Pod HD500 a great deal.  But I have two requests for Line6.

1) Is there any way to bring in custom impulses?  If not then please offer a Cab Impulse importer.  One of the great features of the AxeFX is the ability to use custom impulses from the web or that you've made yourself which totally opens up a whole new world of sounds.  The Pod HD really needs this.

2) I dunno if anyone else experiences this, but for me the low mids feel a bit thin.  The sound of the PodHD to me is very pre-mastered, it's hard to get that rich meaty thunk with the high distortion models when palm muting, and the reverbs while good don't have that thick luxuriousness.  Even adding EQ somehow doesn't seem to resolve this.  It's like that area lacks detail, or it's an MP3 version of the sound I'm hearing.  Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this?  Or is it possible that Line 6 might improve this area over time?

Re: Impulses & Lower Mids
by jyflorida on 2010-10-29 18:09:26

The best way to go about this is to put in a feature request with Line 6: http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/.

by phil_m on 2010-10-29 18:12:12

I guess I'm confused as to why having a tone sound "pre-mastered" is a bad thing.  Ideally, the amp models should sound the same as a miced amp and cab at the mixing console with no post-production effects applied.  I've always thought of the PODs that way.  So if I would layer multiple guitar tracks to get a certain recorded sound with an actual amp, I would expect to do it with the POD as well.

One trick for trying to get some tighter high gain sounds is to use the Pre versions of the amp you're using rather than the full.  Several people have had good results doing that.  Other than that, my general impression with the HD500 is that it takes a bit of patience to get the tone you're looking for.  It's not exactly plug and play.

by mdme_sadie on 2010-10-29 19:53:47

A pre-mastered tone is bad because it's limiting, it becomes a one trick pony.  You wont necesarily agree with the decisions made in making that sound, the mic's used, placement, mixing desk, onboard compressiona nd eq and so on, and there is no way of getting back what's been cut out of the sound should you want it.  You don't need a sound that's already been mixed into the background.

If you ever go through another amp treating the unit as an fx unit/pre then you also just want the resulting sound to sound like having that amp, not that amp recorded by such and such, but literally like you have plugged into that amp and you have it there (as much as possible within the confines of your own cab and the power section of your amp).

There are many reasons for not wanting a pre-mastered sound.  Sure I like having the option of some preset "mastering" effects that I can add at the end of the chain if I want to, but as they're always destructive, i.e. taking away part of the sound that you can't bring back, then I want a neutral sound, and to sculpt that sound from there.  This is a particular problem as with the PodHD I feel the sound is lacking in the lower mids in definition and punch, it sounds thin, and sits in the background in a mix, it's hard to push through a mix with it, if you raise that with an EQ you get a very undefinied boxy and "flubby" sound.  It's an area where most of what people think of as the warmth comes from and also one you really need if you want to stand out in the mix.  It's mixed and mastered to the background not the foreground.  Ideally it shouldn't be mixed to either as that choice should be up to you.

That's why a pre-mastered tone is undesirable and why you want as neutral as possible (with the optional convenience of preset "master" effects).

RE: Impulses & Lower Mids
by Line6Hugo on 2010-11-01 11:25:09

+1 to jyflorida

Please submit a feature request for your suggestions:

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

We appreciate all of your feedback.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2010-11-01 11:50:31

Ah, I get it now.  By "pre-mastered" you mean that it sounds like there's a lot of post processing going on, i.e. - already mastered.  Not "before mastering".

I like the idea of being able to add user IR's.  I also like the idea of having a simple unit.  Maybe if they come out with a "Pro" version, the IR thing would be a good additional feature?

Re: RE: Impulses & Lower Mids
by mdme_sadie on 2010-11-01 12:07:01

Hi, thanks for the feedback, yes I've used that link and sent in some requests.  We'll see how that goes.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.