These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 ~ Jeff Loomis and John Petrucci Tones... NOW tell me it can't do metal... =)
by beteasta351 on 2010-10-29 20:24:11

OK. SO I've made some metal tones. I think they're really good but thats just my taste. (The only thing that isn't good is my playing, i tend to get really nervous when i think people are listening to me play, so i made a bunch of mistakes, sorry guys =)

The first example is a Jeff Loomis tone from Dead Heart In a Dead World, when he still used a Dual Rectifier. I played (in order) River Dragon, Engines of Hate, and the solo to Inside Four Walls.

The second example is a more modern Jeff Loomis tone, like off Enemies of Reality, and Obsidian Conspiracy, And This Godless Endeavour. All though he did use the Engl until Obsidian Conspiracy, i used that model for the whole section as it best portrays his modern tone.

The next example is John Petrucci's heavier tone's like from Root of All Evil, Dark Eternal Knight, Glass Prison, etc

The final example is John Petrucci's crunchier lead tone.

Please comment and if you want the tones ill be more than happy to share!

ILL post more tones later on.

Re: POD HD500 ~ Jeff Loomis and John Petrucci Tones... NOW tell me it can't do metal... =)
by FrozenOzone on 2010-10-29 21:08:01

Cool tones man. I think the people that have said this unit can't do metal don't have the unit.  I have had the unit for about a week now and I can get a very good metal tone. Our tastes are different and so are our ears. Keep up the good work.  Upload your tones.

Re: POD HD500 ~ Jeff Loomis and John Petrucci Tones... NOW tell me it can't do metal... =)
by Ryuusuke on 2010-10-29 23:40:05

cool tones

mind sharing patches?

by beteasta351 on 2010-10-30 07:24:48

Sure here's the patches!

I used DeadHeartD3dTone for the OLD jeff loomis sound; Jeff Loomis Modrn for the Modern Loomis sound. Then for John Petrucci 1 file, i used John Petrucci patch, and for the John Petrucci 2 file, i used the Recti Dual Lead Patch.

My guitar is low on the high range (the pickups have naturally less treble than most pickups, so play around with the treble and presence knobs)

by mr_slugworth on 2010-10-30 12:51:07

Excellent work.  Loomis's Zero Order Phase album is one of my absolute favorites, and that modern Loomis tone's got it goin' on!

Can I ask what kind of guitar and pickups you're using on these clips?

Also, I read that Jeff Loomis is now exclusively using an Axe-FX.  I wonder if he'll trade in his AFX now for an HD500??!? 

by beteasta351 on 2010-10-30 13:07:02

Thanks for the complement! It didn't take TOO long to make these tones lol. But as for pickups, here they are... DONT LAUGH... Schecter Diamond Series Stock. Did you laugh? Ye, supposedly they're not the greatest but to be honest, i wouldn't have it any other way, except if i could tweak these, I'de give them a little more headroom and some more mid and presence for solo work. But i have them on my Schecter Omen Extreme 7 string. As i said, supposedly they are crappy pickups, but i actually like them...? For metal that is. For my jazz work, they're not that desirable.

BTW, he doesn't exclusivley use AXE-FX, he also uses Engl Fireball and Powerball (correct me if im mistaken). Wouldnt that be awesome if he switched to POD HD500? That would show all them AXE-FX folks! (Not the nice ones, just the snobby ones, you know?) Also, i was able to meet Jeff Loomis a couple of weeks ago. Very nice guy, but when he got on stage, he did not have an AXE FX, he was using an Engl amp.

Thanks for your comments!

Matt

P.S. I just took a listen to some of those clips i posted, and hadn't realized that i played THAT sloppy, i mean, i knew i was pretty off, but some of that stuff was really sloppy. Oh well, sorry guys. Ill try to post more tones and stuff and play cleaner.

by mr_slugworth on 2010-10-30 13:59:25

Hey, I got nothing against stock pickups if they get the job done.  No laugh from me!  Although what you're saying about them not being very versatile is usually my biggest issue when I play through stock coils.  But the reason I asked was mainly to make sure you weren't using actives.

I did a little poking around about Jeff Loomis and Axe-FX.  There's some conflicting stuff out there, but in an interview he says he's just using it at home and thinking about working it into his live rig for the cleans only.  On his site he says he's using a Line 6 POD Pro.  I'm sure that's old, but still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's got his own POD HD and is getting to know it like the rest of us

by beteasta351 on 2010-10-30 14:50:13

BTW, when i talked to him, i asked him if he had any more great solo album work coming out and he said "Ye man, slowly but surely." Hes claims that hell be able to start recording in January!

by mr_slugworth on 2010-10-30 16:53:09

That rules.  With Paul Gilbert going low gain and Buckethead going softish, Jeff Loomis seems to be my only hope for real, raw, instrumental metal.  It's probably going to take him forever to get the album ready, though.  ZOP was a long time in the making.

by Santuzzo on 2010-11-07 04:25:33

Thank you very much for there.

Your clips sound great!

by tatkovladko on 2010-11-10 02:41:04

Very impressed with "John Petrucci 2", well done!

What happened at 1:39 of that recording?

by John_BlisterTip on 2010-11-10 09:22:47

I hear these riffs all the time online but I dont think I've heard the actual songs

if you have the time....

What is the song for the first riff on the Petrucci 2 file

and the song for the last riff on Loomis Modern?

thanks

by tatkovladko on 2010-11-10 11:17:06

Petrucci 2 file is "Damage Control" from JP's solo album "Suspended Animation" (2005)

by beteasta351 on 2010-11-10 14:40:05

The last one on the Jeff Loomis Modern file is "Shouting Fire at a Funeral" from his album "Zero Order Phase."

Anyways, its time to post more sound samples of this thing, I'm going to play less sloppy this time around, anybody have requests for tones for specific songs or just for certain sounds or anything?

Just message me on this board.

by Line6david on 2010-11-10 15:55:05

Hi Guys,

Great thread, I'm just marking it answered so it won't show up in our support forum questions.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by tatkovladko on 2010-11-11 02:28:35

I forgot to tell you that on the Petrucci 2 recording what I liked most was that "different vowel for different notes" feel... I hope I managed to explain

This is one of the characteristics of guitar tone which I'm really fond of and you nailed it.

by Matcheca on 2010-11-25 13:27:07

Hey, i was wondering if it was possible to get this tipe of distortion on this pod, but since i'm a begginer, got no luck =/

Its mainly the solo part i'm after, but any part of this song would be nice ;D

here, here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRNdveLnJI

niice tones by the way ;D

by squashpile on 2010-11-25 20:16:32

Man these are great! Thank you!

by Binkiewiczwsu on 2011-03-29 12:29:40

I tried downloading your sound for my pod ux1, but it didnt work. How could I get your old loomis tone?  Thanks

by stumpsout on 2011-03-29 12:41:02

Binkiewiczwsu wrote:

I tried downloading your sound for my pod ux1, but it didnt work. How could I get your old loomis tone?  Thanks

UX1 is not compatible with Pod HD

by Binkiewiczwsu on 2011-03-29 12:55:42

Ya I know it sucks, but I was hoping he could tell me his setup then so I could do the same for my ux1

by iasomie_ro on 2011-03-29 13:26:54

You can download the Pod HD500 Edit software for free and see the setup yourself.

by Texxxxx on 2011-03-29 14:18:26

Thanks for the tones, betatesta, they sound great!

Your playing sounds real good to me, too.  We all notice our own mistakes more than anyone else does...lol.

by beteasta351 on 2011-03-29 14:41:19

Hey if you downloaded the 2.2+ update, ill send you my new takes on the John Petrucci and Jeff Loomis tones, they sounds a lot clearer and more defined now, mesage me back.

by meambobbo on 2011-03-30 08:47:34

2.2+ update?!  you mean the 1.22 that was just released?

if you're gonna post new versions, could you please share them with us all?  :-)  These are some good tones!

by johnnyayyy on 2011-03-30 23:18:24

meambobbo wrote:

2.2+ update?!  you mean the 1.22 that was just released?

if you're gonna post new versions, could you please share them with us all?  :-)  These are some good tones!

Yes, PLEASE! Those tones are awesome, please post the updated versions

by Melodius on 2011-04-03 12:09:34

I wasn't able to open these files to know how you set it up to get these tones. Could someone tell me how to open them? By the way, these fx are great!

Thanks.

by lexxfirecore on 2011-04-04 08:30:26

Have you tested this sounds in band or mixdown song?

The most of presets sounds cool but in the mix you must do a lot of changes

in frequencies and tones to make this preset sound great also in the mix.

by Melodius on 2011-04-04 16:03:48

I just meant the files you posted in the beginning of this thread pertaining to your set-up on your HD500. Is that what the files included...the fx you used and amp sims, etc?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.