These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

XLR Pod HD 500
by usuario2545 on 2010-11-02 04:57:47
Hello. I have a POD HD 500 and speakers Esi Near 05 with jack and XLR inputs (both balanced and unbalanced). I need to know what the proper output to connect POD. I tried both and I do see some difference in volume. I noticed that the XLR output sounds a little lower than the output jack of the POD. Say to 3 sounds higher if I connect the speakers to the output jack of the pod that the XLR output. Is it appropriate POD XLR output for connecting to a monitor? Is it more thought this output to connect to a mixer? Is this normal volume difference? Thanks.

Re: XLR Pod HD 500
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-02 06:04:39

Hi

I noticed this too.  The XLR outputs do seem somewhat lower than the 1/4" outputs.   This is normal.

I'm guessing here a little as it's not documented, but I think the reason is that when feeding a PA desk the output might be a little too hot for some desks with XLR mic inputs but that don't have a PAD switch to reduce input clipping, so yes go ahead and use the 1/4" unbalanced outputs into your powered monitors speakers if it delivers a suitably powerful signal without clipping.  I've noticed that powered monitors or PA speakers seem to expect a slightly higher output level than the HD500 delivers currently from its XLR sockets.   On this basis if using the XLR outputs I would usually go via a mixing desk.

Nick

by guitars69 on 2010-11-02 12:25:20

I believe it's pretty normal to have XLR outputs be quieter than the 1/4 outs.  I can't remember the reason for it but it's normal.

by phil_m on 2010-11-02 12:47:25

The XLR outs are at microphone level and the 1/4" outs are at line level (assuming the amp/line switch is set to line).  I believe the reasoning for this is simply that the typical way to get an electric guitar into the mixer is micing the amp, so the sound guy would give you an XLR cable with the other end plugged into a channel strip with a preamp at the mixer.  So if you're using the POD instead of micing an amp, the sound guy doesn't have to do anything different and therefore he can go ahead walking through life clueless and not paying attention to the mix...

by Brion_Kean on 2010-11-02 13:11:40

That makes alot of sense (mic level, XLR cable thru snake which is looking for mic, not line level)

I noticed the X3L could run pretty hot on the XLR outs, maybe they altered this for the HD series?

by phil_m on 2010-11-02 13:20:27

It's mic level, but it's pretty hot still.  I know when I used the XLR outs on the X3L, I didn't need to have much gain at the board.  I imagine it's the same for the HD series.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-02 13:23:58

phil_m wrote:

It's mic level, but it's pretty hot still.  I know when I used the XLR outs on the X3L, I didn't need to have much gain at the board.  I imagine it's the same for the HD series.

Yes that's right it is Phil.  I was using my HD500 earlier today with my PA desk as I needed to test the desk for a job tomorrow night and it was still quite a hot signal into the mic inputs on that desk so if anything I had to drop the gain control back a bit more than I usually would.

by usuario2545 on 2010-11-03 01:40:50

Thank you very much everyone for your responses. So is it normal to connect the hd pod XLR to speakers sound a little lower than the output jack? Thanks.

RE: XLR Pod HD 500
by Line6david on 2010-11-03 08:22:29

Hi,

Yes, the output of the XLR outs is supposed to be lower when plugging into a line level source. The are made to go to a microphone preamplifier in a console or interface. This is normal behavior.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.