These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Pod X3 Pro as a sync master having a problem
by jahra on 2010-11-11 03:50:48

Hi there!

I've got my Pod X3 Pro connected over S/PDIF to my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O console.

I set up ProjectMix as a sync slave (setting 'external sync' in the control panel of the ProjectMix), with the 24bit/48kHz digital settings on the interface.

X3 Pro also has 24bit/48kHz setting. At least, this is what the screen reads when I go to the 'Output' settings window right after power up.

So, on power up, both units (X3 Pro and ProjectMix) has the same S/PDIF settings (24bit/48kHz), with the X3 Pro supposedly being a sync master.

Now, the problem is that the ProjectMix does not 'see' X3 Pro as a sync master (control panel blinks "unlinked" message).

It takes me going to the 'Output' menu on the X3 Pro, and setting freq and bitrate from 24bit/48kHz to any other settings and then back to 24bit/48kHz again for the ProjectMix to recognise the X3 Pro as a sync master, and 'link' to it so the S/PDIF starts working and the signal comes through.

After power-off/power-on cycle the problem repeats. My first question is why this is happening and is there a way to solve this once and for all (may be a firmware patch for the X3 Pro needs to be developed)?

The second question is: can X3 Pro be configured as a sync slave, i.e. can I set it to expect an external sync signal e.g. from my ProjectMix console?

Thank you in advance for the answer,

Dmitry.

RE: Pod X3 Pro as a sync master having a problem
by ricksox on 2010-11-18 10:59:02

Hello,

The issue you described has been brought up before and I've actually been able to reproduce it but it was intermittent for me.

I do not believe we have any more firmware updates planned at the moment for the X3 Pro but I'll make sure this issue is known to our engineers.

In regards to your other question. The POD will slave to a master clock. Make sure to set the output mode to match studio direct and match the sample rate being sent out of the Project Mix on the POD.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Pod X3 Pro as a sync master having a problem
by jahra on 2010-11-19 03:20:20

Thanks, I will try to slave it the way you describe.

by jahra on 2010-11-22 04:33:42

Hi Line6Miller,

Well, I've tried out what you have suggested to slave X3 to the clock of the ProjectMix console.

You've said that I should match the sample rate of the two devices, this didn't work out: X3 seems to work as a master if the sample rate is explicitly set on it, and if the ProjectMix is not set as a slave the sound is cracking.

However, I have set the freq on X3 to 'Match digital input', which I GUESS should put X3 to the slave mode (the user guide barely mentions this setting without further explanation), and set the sync source on the ProjectMix to 'internal - digital ports unmuted', which is supposed to put the ProjectMix into the master mode.

Now, once I've done that, the 'CLIP' led on the X3 started to blink (again, not documented behaviour!), which I assumed to mean something like 'waiting for master sync signal', for syncronisation as such is not there - the sound coming from X3 is filled with cracks and pops.

Unfortunately, working with digital I/O in X3 is not documented, and I have to assume lots of things, like the meaning of the blinking 'CLIP' led and this 'Match digital input' setting - can't find those anywhere in the docs...

Either some of my assumptions are wrong, or I do something wrong... Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Dmitry.

by ricksox on 2010-11-29 12:28:49

Dmitry,

The CLIP indicator will blink whenever two clocks are not in sync.

What happens if you just set the POD to a specific sample rate (the rate that matches your other hardware). Do you still get pops and clicks?

Line6Miller

by jahra on 2010-11-29 14:39:08

Hi Line6Miller,

I have actually solved tihs myself already. The  solution is posted here - http://line6.com/community/message/204713#204713

In a nutshell, the Pod would not slave if Variax is set as an input for either Tone1 or Tone2. Once I've unset Variax as an input, Pod caught master sync with 'Match digital in' setting. This is not documented, so it took much pain to find out.

by ricksox on 2010-12-01 16:02:16

Hello,

You're right. That's not in the manual and I'm not so sure if that's expected behavior. We will definitely FAQ this and let our engineers know.

Line6Miller

by jahra on 2010-12-02 06:49:39

Well, I'm glad to know it helps.

Regards,

Dmitry.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.