These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Trouble recording direct. Low volumes and Breakup??
by hoodcreeper on 2010-11-12 09:41:27

Recently purchased new HD 500.  I admitadly have limited experience with multi effect boards.  My problem is when going direct from pedal into mbox then into pro tools I have lower volumes and harsh breakup in the form of distored excessive signals.  This occurs in 1/4" mono and stereo outs as well as the xlr outs.  I have the pedal setup to studio output mode.  Yet I have to turn up to excessive amp model volumes as well as drive settings to obtain midtone volumes.  The left and right mixer volumes are set to excessively high too.

When I play exclusively through the pedal on my own through the headphones jack then HD 500 sounds great.  Beefy with a full tone and full sound.  When I plug into recording situation with friends then sound quality goes away.  I should elaborate on the mbox>protools set up as the whole band is listening through a headphone hub split from output of mbox.  However everyone else sounds full and rich except the poor HD 500.

What else can I try???

Re: Trouble recording direct. Low volumes and Breakup??
by ozbadman on 2010-11-12 10:02:29

My first suggestion would be to plug the HD500 into something else as a test. If it sounds good through the headphones, it should at least get close through something else. Just to make sure the issue isn't being introduced by protools, try plugging the HD500 1/4" or XLR into a normal amp, or stereo, or whatever you can find. This will prove the problem is on the HD500 side, and we (that is, you with the help from people on this board) can go from there.

David.

by hoodcreeper on 2010-11-12 10:31:41

Thanks David- I have gone direct into my computer through the usb connection and recorded into Garageband.  Sound quality is better and volumes seem closer but still a little on the empty tone side.  I also have plugged into a fender blues junior and set pedal output to combo amp settings.  I was actually fairly pleased on how this sounded compared with the older x3L.  In my friends pro tools "setup" I am just at a loss as similar settings that sounded good in other two scenarios now sound like crap.  Also everyone elses direct tones (keys, bass, and mic'd drums) sound great.  I don't think the problem is with pro tools.  Does my friends pc (protools) soundcard come into play at all.  Do I need to install HD 500 driver or edit into friends computer?  Can I run my pedal usb into my computer first then out of my computer into a Line 6 UX1 and then into his mbox?

I also have seen some discussions on HD's not handling humbucker pickups that well.  They talk about the excessive signal and breakup, but not  about low volume direct out signals.  There has to be a simple answer.  This pedal has to record better than this.  If not then this thing is on a fast track back to GC while I still have some time to return.

by FrozenOzone on 2010-11-12 10:44:11

hoodcreeper.

I have high powered humbuckers and only experienced the break up on the factory defaults.  If you create your own patches or get some from the customtone website http://line6.com/customtone/I think you will have a better experience with your unit.  Theres almost 300 patches ready for download.  Here is my setup and it sounds great:

Guitars:

PRS Tremonti SE
Dimarzio Super Distortion bridge
Dimarzio LiquiFire neck

Ibanez SZ320
Dimarzio Super Distortion bridge
Dimarzio PAF Pro neck.

Power Amp:
Beheringer EuroPower EP1500

Cabs:
4 X 12 B-52

Kustom KPC12MP 12" Powered Floor Monitor

by ozbadman on 2010-11-12 11:07:55

Hey hood,

Well, the fact that it sounds fine through other amps and into garageband (presumably also all using the 1.4") means it's not the HD500. It's the protools setup. It sounds like you're probably under or overdriving the soundcard input into protools. The softness implies underdriving. Turning up would give you a poor quality signal, with a lot of white noise due to poor s/n (signal to noise) ratio. Having said that, the output from the 1/4" plugs is a decent volume. Have you tried plugging your guitar directly into protools (without the HD500). I suspect that'll will also sound bad. You could try the line/amp switch on the HD500, but essentially, it doesn't sound like the problem has anything to do with the HD500 at all.

Try plugging the guitar in directly and let us know the results of that.

David.

by hoodcreeper on 2010-11-12 11:21:27

Thanks again for the responses-

The pro tools set up is with my band and I will try to plug guitar directly in tonight to see what happens.  i am assuming that I will get a nice clean tone with no HD in the link.  The bass player is going through an older Boss multi amp pedal and his tones are great.---I believe there is something missing/wrong with the HD pedal.  I appreciate the help and welcome any other ideas.

by spaceatl on 2010-11-12 11:22:52

If you friend is using ProTools then you will have to use the ProTools interface...Have you tried the SPDIF? Might make sense to take out the DA conversion and just let the HD500 hit the ProTools interface digital...Seems like your friends interface would have an SPDIF...That would actually take out the DAD conversion that is going on if your are using the HD500 analog outs...

One thing you could do as a test...take a TRS 1/4 to (2) mono 1/4 cable and run the headphone out into the interface...headphone level stuff is fine for line level inputs...that will tell you a lot like if the inputs on the interface are set to -20 when they should be +4...that sorta thing...

by hoodcreeper on 2010-11-12 11:23:26

Hey Frozen- do you put your power amp in line before any direct recording.  Or is the power amp primarily for your link to cabnets?

by FrozenOzone on 2010-11-12 11:53:32

Hi Hood

No the power amp is just power for my cabs.

by songwaters on 2011-03-05 01:20:57

so... what finally was the conclusion?

by hoodcreeper on 2011-03-05 08:43:40

I can only speak for myself- but I eliminated going direct into Mbox.  Nothing seemed to work.  Spdif, xlr's, and I even pulled a stereo splitter out of the phones.  In the end we ended up going into a mixing board and into someone elses mbox into a mac.  Whatever the reason now my signal is ultra hot through the 1/4".  I built all new patches to accomodate this signal and as of now it sounds great.  I am finally getting a glimpse into what this effects unit can do while direct!

RE: Trouble recording direct. Low volumes and Breakup??
by ricksox on 2011-03-07 12:28:57

Out of curiosity, did you check your tone panning within your patches? Not sure if that would have had an impact but it's something to check.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Trouble recording direct. Low volumes and Breakup??
by hoodcreeper on 2011-03-07 15:53:31

At the time of the original problems I don't think that I had tone mixer paning set to center.  I do now, but I don't feel like that was the original issue.  Signal was just way too weak.  Doing great now through a mixer and then out.  Maybe better preamps in the current mixer.  Is that possible?

RE: Trouble recording direct. Low volumes and Breakup??
by Line6Hugo on 2011-03-08 09:52:39

Not sure why it was so low. I recommend panning the tones to the center or adding a COMP effect with the gain turned up to increase the volume output. Perhaps connecting the POD's outputs into instrument level inputs on your interface would help as well.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.