These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Which of these amps to use with HD500?
by BlueBrain on 2010-11-16 13:27:03

Just picked up the HD500 and it'll be a few months before I can invest in new amp/cabs.  In the meantime I have:

Line 6 AX212

Line 6 Spider 1x12 (original)

Fender M-80 Chorus

What I'm wondering is how to set any of these up to best effect.  I'd like to use two to spread out stereo effects.  Where should I set gain/eq/etc on the amps?  Should I use the AUX input on the AX212 to bypass it's modeling?  Expecting to be gigging in February and may or may not upgrade amp/cabs before then.  I'm concerned about two things:

A) having to go back and forth between the amps and the HD trying to fix EQ, gain, etc.

B) getting tones right and then finding once I upgrade to better amps the patches sound completely different

Maybe to some degree these are unavoidable challenges, but if possible I'd like to minimize them as much as possible, set the amps to be as neutral as possible and focus on the HD500 for shaping tone.

On the same topic, what are the best options (perhaps less expensive than the new DT50s) for amplifiers/cabs out of the HD500?

Thanks for any tips!

Paul

Re: Which of these amps to use with HD500?
by alsithi on 2010-11-16 14:41:10

The cheapest option would presumably be a powered monitor.

Personally I'll be using a Crate CBP150 powerblock head into a 12" wedge monitor cab. This works fine with my present unit, a Zoom GFX8, and see no reason why the HD500 wouldn't work just as well. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow when it finally arrives!

by racetra on 2010-11-16 16:01:04

I will have my HD in a week or so. I also am trying to figure out what to use for amplification. I am gonna try the Aux input on my AX2. It would be nice for really small venues.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-17 08:19:58

Well I know for sure that the Spider Valve MkI with the HD500 1/4" mono out to Power Amp in on the SV sounds good with the output option in the HD500 set to Combo Power Amp.  The other amp in your stereo setup should be approached in the same way IMO if it has an FX loop or power amp input.

I'd go with the SV in mono for starters and then add the second amp.  If you are goint to use the AX2 then you should definitely use the Aux in to bypass the modelling.  The Fender should be a closer match I would think (I don't know for certain as it's not a model I'm familiar with) for the power section in the SV

Alternatives might include a stereo FRFR system - pair of Atomic amps maybe - or get a second SV 112

Nick

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2010-11-17 10:46:13

alsithi wrote:

The cheapest option would presumably be a powered monitor.

Well, I don't know about cheap, but it is a good option.  I have a pair of Mackie SRM450v2's around that sound really nice with whatever modeler I put through them.  They're a cool thing to have in your gear arsenal because you never know when you'll need a powered monitor or PA speaker.  I can use them for rehearsals, as vocal monitors, as a stand-alone monitoring setup for my guitar amps (they have a mic preamp in them), as party speakers for music, etc.  I think these run for about $600 new each.  They sound good, they're durable, and they're versatile.

by BlueBrain on 2010-11-17 13:51:35

Thanks all. 

It's the original basic Spider, not the Spider Valve. 

How about EQ/Gain settings on amps that don't have an FX return or aux in - any general tips?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-17 15:14:20

Sorry - I misread Spider as Spider Valve - oops

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.