These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Line 6 Foot switch
by flhrking on 2010-11-18 09:06:25

Hi Line 6,

I have two line 6 guitars a Variax acoustic 700 and a Variax 500 eletric. As I gig with both and run them from my XT live I wondered if you do or can advise where I can buy an A and B foot switch so I can switch between them without having to unplug each time I change instrument.

Awaiting your reply

Ray

Re: RE: Line 6 Foot switch
by Kneehow on 2010-11-19 15:43:52

Hi,

Sorry, I've never seen this done before; not sure if there are any CAT-5 (network cable) A/B switching devices that could do this. We certainly do not have anything that will perform this... it's always been a one-to-one device usage. I think you'll have to disconnect at the guitar, put your current instrument on a stand, pick up the other one and re-connect the CAT-5 cable in your hand.

This assumes you're using the PODxt Live's Variax "digital" connection for guitar input...

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: Line 6 Foot switch
by amx05462 on 2010-11-21 22:48:50

what hes  saying  is the ab  switch    has  one input  and two  outputs. all you need to do is  get a   Y plug   1/4  to  1/4    at  radoi shack   and  plug  both  guitars  into  that  and  just turn   off the  volume  at the  guitar  your  not using  to acomplish the  same  thing. about   5 bucks  for the    plug

by flhrking on 2010-12-11 08:38:33

Hi Perry, thanks for your reply and I cant belive that I am the only person In the universe that has two variax guitars on stage at the same time. Is there any chance of line 6 looking into producing one of these A/B switch boxes?? It would be great if this would be possible.

Ray

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-11 09:04:30

Boss LS2 Line switcher.  You'll need an XPS box for each guitar or to run them off batteries.

Nick

by MerlinFL on 2010-12-11 12:43:23

flhrking wrote:

Hi Line 6,

I have two line 6 guitars a Variax acoustic 700 and a Variax 500 eletric. As I gig with both and run them from my XT live I wondered if you do or can advise where I can buy an A and B foot switch so I can switch between them without having to unplug each time I change instrument.

Awaiting your reply

Ray

How's this for your answer?

DSC00396a.jpg

The one I'm playing is connected using the VDI which suplies the power, the other is connected using the XPS DI power supply & DI box connected through the 1/4" input.  NEITHER need to be switched just turn the volume down on the one your not playing at the time as they are both running and connected simultaneously.  I'm using a Vetta do do this, but the XT and almost every other Line 6 pedalboard, or VDI equipped amp has two inputs.

So one VDI connected Vax, the other using the XPS for power so no batteries needed.  BOTH plugged into the unit at the same time.  NEVER need to unplug anything.  The only thing is that one needs to be manually patch/bank changed for different sounds, the VDI connection should be pre-progammed to dial up the guitars you want for each of your amp patches.

Been doing this since 2006 when I bought my 700s without any problems.

And I bought an "MBrace" (Google this name and you'll find the original website, plus sever retailers who carry this simple, yet very effective walk-behind device.  It's a whole lot less money than the other brand that requires a double braced cymbal stand as a base) and heavy duty atlas mic stand that I attached to hold my 2nd guitar.  I attached it to the customized old keyboard T-style tube stand I chopped down that you can see sitting over my Roland Bass pedals (yes, I play some bass lines with my feet while playing guitar), while holding my FBV Longboard steady for stomp box and Vol/Wah pedal use.

I just took the bases off each mic stand so that one holds my amber 700 and the other side olds my mic stand which you can't see in this photo.  Smallest footprint I could create based on my use of all this gear.  It's VERY STURDY and it works perfectly and the stand weighs only a few pounds with the two mic stands on it.

I hope it helps anyone reading this,

Neal

PS - "Bean" and "Spider" users...sorry no easy way for you guys to do this.

by MerlinFL on 2010-12-11 12:44:14

flhrking wrote:

Hi Perry, thanks for your reply and I cant belive that I am the only person In the universe that has two variax guitars on stage at the same time. Is there any chance of line 6 looking into producing one of these A/B switch boxes?? It would be great if this would be possible.

Ray

You're not - see my previous reply above...

by amx05462 on 2010-12-11 16:02:32

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103991

i think   it is as easy  as buying  one  of these    adapters  and   turning the  volume down as neil said   to the  one  your not using.

by silverhead on 2010-12-11 16:16:16

amx05462 wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103991

i think   it is as easy  as buying  one  of these    adapters  and   turning the  volume down as neil said   to the  one  your not using.

But I thought one part of the TRS lead supplies power to the Variax. Doesn't the Y-splitter mean that neither of his variaxes wil actually work? One will get power, but no sound transfer, while the other will get the reverse?

by amx05462 on 2010-12-11 16:21:38

if hes using the  xps  or the  ab   to power the  guitar   it should work.   its  worth a try  for 6 bucks  i think

by flhrking on 2010-12-11 16:26:44

Hi Neal,

Thanks for your help, I will try what you suggested but it would be handy if Line 6 could produce something.

Thanks again mate.

Keep rocking

Ray

by silverhead on 2010-12-11 16:27:25

I misunderstood the product - I thought it was  a splitter for one stereo to 2xMono leads. I see it's 1 stereo to 2xStereo, so my previous comment doesn't apply. But it brings up another comment - doesn't this mean that only half the required power will be delivered to each Variax?

But like you say - for $6 it's worth a try.

by amx05462 on 2010-12-11 16:54:42

well   the  power supply that  it uses is 2000 ma

from  what i  understand   the  guitar  doesnt  use  that.   or near to it. so at idle    it shouldnt draw  muchif anything at all.   its not like it  draws  power to retain  memory  itsall on a  flashed  chip.

i might be wrong  but  i thought  someone  said  the  guitar  uses   a slight bit less than one  amp  while  playing. as i recalllit was something  like  850 ma.  so if  im correct  then   either way  it  should be  neough  for two.

by amx05462 on 2010-12-11 16:55:50

as to line 6  making  something.   i think all there efforts  are    on the  tyler  guitar  now.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.