These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Have I killed it?
by es336td on 2010-11-19 21:45:51

I have a 2006 (I think) Variax 600...   the batteries died the other day.   One morning this week, I changed them early in the morning so I could take it with me to work for rehearsal that night.    I tried to use it without the power supply and nothing...  I plugged it up to the power supply, and it worked.   Just checked everything and my meter read 9.6V...   I then noticed that one of the middle AA batteries was put in incorrectly (negative & positive swapped).   I just put it in correctly... the meter read 9.6V again... but still nothing.   Power supply works.  WTF?

Re: Have I killed it?
by amx05462 on 2010-11-20 02:16:45

check the battery  holder  for  continuity.

also  just try  hooking up a  9 volt battery   it could be  your  battery  holder   is damaged. if thats the case  you can get  one  from line  6  or  radio shack

by es336td on 2011-01-24 09:36:21

In the original post, I said I had used the meter and got 9.6V.   Have not tried the 9V battery yet, but if I'm getting 9.6 V from the battery holder... why would the 9V be any different?

RE: Have I killed it?
by ricksox on 2011-01-24 10:25:34

Hello,

Have you opened up the guitar to see if all of your header connections are seated securely? Sometimes those headers can wiggle loose and cause problems.

If everything looks good then you have some sort of other hardware issue so you should contact a service center to have your guitar repaired.

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Line6Miller

by es336td on 2011-02-04 21:56:03

Did that.... as I said in another post, the meter read 9.6V on the battery holder.   Replacing it with a 9V didn't do any good either.   I had it plugged into an amp and cranked the volume just to see what was up.  There was a crackle sort of white noise... and that was it.  Unplugging it got me silence.

I then opened it up... all connectors were undone and reseated.   I shielded every place on the cage/coffin that was super close to metal on the circuit boards.  I didn't see where to do anything else.  Nothing helped.   I really depend on this guitar and am playing a bunch in the next few months.   Purchasing a new guitar right now isn't in the budget.   I suppose I could once again drag six guitars to a gig, but would like to avoid it if at all possible.

I guess I could find a used 300 or so, dump my 600 patches on it...    really does suck to have a reversed battery kill the thing... 

Thanx for allowing me to vent.

Re: RE: Have I killed it?
by es336td on 2011-02-04 21:57:42

I reseated all the connectors I could see without completely dismantling the thing.,,   your authorized repair centers don't have a loaner program while yours is in the shop, huh?

RE: Have I killed it?
by ricksox on 2011-02-07 11:57:30

Unfortunately, no. If you want, you can give us a call to see if there is anything our service people can do in regards to working with your local repair center to get your guitar back to you faster.

Service center turnaround times vary from place to place depending on the shop work load.

I'm not sure if we can do anything but it may be worth it to call us and talk to our service administrator to see if there is anything we can do.

(818)575-3600

Line6Miller

by es336td on 2011-07-22 11:53:01

I finally tore the thing down and shielded the coffin with liquid electrical tape.  In the process I inspected and cleaned all the connectors.  When I put it back together....   the battery pack still doesn't work.  Any ideas?

by amx05462 on 2011-07-22 15:02:12

when i took mine  apart     i  had  put one  of the connectore  in backward  .  one or  two can  do that.  check   to see if its  in the  right  way.  also  check for  a  burnt  resistor  near the connection.  and   try  a nine  volt . could just be the  battery  holder. if it works  with the 9 volt  then  replace the  battery  holder. but  give those  resistors  a good  look see.  sometimes  they burn out  if you connect    the power  supply  witht e  batteries  in.

by es336td on 2011-07-22 16:07:57

All the connectors are keyed....  I made sure they were in as keyed... however, I didn't check for resistors...  I'll have to do that next time I change strings.   Right now it's no biggie.   It's a big PITA when I just want to plug it in quick.    I did the 9V thing and same results.   More than likely, when I reversed one of the batteries (see beginning of thread) I probably fried one.   Thanx for the suggestions though.

by JellyWheat on 2011-07-23 09:04:55

... you killed it! I suggest you replace the fried resistor.

Hope this helps.

JellyWheat

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.