These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Possible Bug on firmware version compatibility and Patches?
by Lespaulidas on 2010-11-20 19:18:11

Guys,

This has been bugging me.. no pun intended.

I found a very cool patch on CustomTones called "Floyd-Gasm".   I think it's a patch designed to replicate David Gilmour's solo performance of Shine On You Crazy Diamond.  Basically a long delay with heel back on the exp pedal, push it forward to solo over  the long delays...

Anyway,  I can load it up fine in HD Edit,  and play with it while plugged in to USB.  The first time I try and send the patch to the pod to save, it goes smooth.  However the catch is, when I disconnect the POD from HD Edit, switch to a different patch and then switch back to "Floyd-Gasm", the patch behaves completely erratically, and not at all like it was before..  The delays are messed, etc..  It's like it's not saving it correctly.  Then if I try and plug the POD back in to USB, and resend the saved patch to the POD, I then get errors in the software telling me that the software cant communicate with the POD because of firmware version mis-match.  Huh?  My firmware is up to date, and so is my software.     From that point forward all POD & HD Edit communication is shot ,with various errors showing up.   The only way to exit the mess is to power cycle the POD.   Then, you can reload the patch on HD Edit, play around with it, and the patch is fine.  But again, as soon as it's sent to the pod, and you switch to a different patch and back again, it then gets screwy again.   I can recreate this error over and over every time.  And unfortunately can never use this patch unless I'm plugged in via USB and loaded from the software.

Can some of you guys give this a go, and see if you can recreate it as well?  I've attached the patch.  The only logical thing I can think (from my programming days), is that some kind of versioning mismatch is happening related to the firmware and how the patches use it.  I'm guessing whoever created and uploaded this patch, maybe created it on older firmware, but, shouldn't the patches be backwards compatible to the firmware?  Otherwise CustomTomes would be a mess....   What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

-Forgot to mention... I'm using the POD HD-500-

AND

not sure if it's related to this thread..

http://line6.com/community/thread/48540?tstart=0

But I saw no-one saying they got a firmware mismatch error.

Re: Possible Bug on firmware version compatibility and Patches?
by ozbadman on 2010-11-21 01:19:36

I have used Floydgasm on my HD500 and have had no problems. I am on the latest firmware, v1.1 and when I upgraded to 1.1 I made sure I didn't keep the existing patches.

Don't know if that helps?

David.

ps: I have seen issues with the Delays being set to a tap tempo component, say 1/8th, but the delay would be turned off isntead. Setting it to a time and back to the tap tempo component would fix the problem. This was all done on HD500 Edit.

by Lespaulidas on 2010-11-21 07:30:57

Oz,

Thanks for the input.  Did you use this patch saved to the POD, without being plugged into USB?   Well I can say I've always NOT kept existing patches when I upgraded the firmware.  The first thing I tried when I noticed this issue with this patch was to reload the firmware.

And to be a little more clear,  I have no issue with any other patches from CustomTone, or any other issues saving patches.  It's just this one patch.   I never noticed any issue with this patch until I brought my rig to band practice and was going to show my band mates what the POD can do, and thought this patch was a cool demo.   Again the patch was totally screwy.  So when I got home, I tried to reload the patch again with HD Edit, save to the POD, disconnect the POD, switch to other patches, and then switch back to Floyd Gasm.  The problem recreates every time for me..  Weird..

Oh well, no skin off my back, I'll just dump the idea of using this patch..  I just thought maybe bringing this to light, would help the Line 6 guys with any debugging of the current firmware.   Again I have no other issues with ANY other patches.

Paul

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-21 08:12:02

I just tried Floyd-Gasm. Nice patch

I'm using firmware v 1.1 and haven't seen any of the issues you mention you've had - well so far at least, but will keep an eye on it and report back if I do notice anything odd

NIck

by Lespaulidas on 2010-11-21 08:29:42

Thanks for chiming in Nick,

Glad it works for you.  I should also add, that I do have a 2nd expression pedal plugged in (Roland EV-5).  Maybe that's the issue? - how the controllers are set against my rig..  But again the firmware mismatch error makes no sense.

Paul

by Lespaulidas on 2010-11-21 08:37:03

I figured it out!!!  As soon as I disconnect the Roland EV-5,  Everything works great.....

For some reason, the EV-5 was the culprit on this patch, and I can not find where it was set to control ANYTHING.  Weird, but at least the issue is identified.

Thanks guys!

by max_vie on 2010-11-21 09:57:33

I experienced the exact same problem with that patch as the OP. Even worse - my Pod HD500 does not start up since using this patch!!!

Loading that patch in HD Edit did work, sending it over to the Pod I could play with the patch but mentionned that the second amp was disabled because of the DSP limit. When I tried to switch off the particle reverb to free up some DSP memory in the patch the Pod was stuck. I was not able to leave that page and I could not switch to another preset. I finally turned off the Pod. When I switched it on again it hang up on the welcome screen in an endless loop.

The connection between the Pod and HD Edit was lost. HD Edit did not recognize the Pod anymore and it hangs up on the welcome screen every time I turn it on. But I could run the Pod by holding the right selector key during startup to enter safe mode (thats the screen where you can calibrate the pedal?). HD Edit did recognize the Pod then and I fired up Monkey to do a firmware update. The Pod showed the status message "firmware updating ..." on the screen and I received the message that I should restart the Pod. By doing that the Pod hangs up on the welcome screen immediately after restart.

I repeated the procedure several times on two different computers today but the Pod did not start up. I've no idea what else I could try to get it up running as a firmware update is the only way to reset the Pod according to the information on this board. Maybe someone has a hint what else to try. Otherwise my Pod HD500 will go back to the retailer ;((

I already downloaded a bunch of presets from customtone and never experienced any problems. But this patch definetley "killed" my HD500. And I don't feel very comfortable if a bugged version of a preset or whatever caused that problems could easily put the Pod in a state that makes it totally unusable. Loosing all patches by bringing back the Pod to it's out of the box status is bad, but even the firmware update did not resolve that issue in my case and I'm afraid the only possibility for me is to send it back for repair. And this is caused by just copying a preset to the Pod even when HD Edit have not shown any issues?

At the moment I'm not sure if I should send it back to my retailer to do a repair or if I should send it back to claim a refund. I'm just afraid that this can happen everytime just by trying out another users preset. A minor glitch in software causes the Pod system software to lock up in a state that it cannot be restarted by the user? - That's frightening!

by ozbadman on 2010-11-21 10:14:15

Lespaulidas wrote:

I figured it out!!!  As soon as I disconnect the Roland EV-5,  Everything works great.....

For some reason, the EV-5 was the culprit on this patch, and I can not find where it was set to control ANYTHING.  Weird, but at least the issue is identified.

Thanks guys!

I just looked at the patch and EXP-2 is set to control LOTS of things. So, when you plug the EV-5 in, it becomes the controller for all these items.This looks like something Line 6 should have a look at.

David.

by Lespaulidas on 2010-11-21 13:29:24

Ah.. OK,   Theres something goofy, because at one point I looked and my 2nd pedal controller settings and it was zilch..  But thats when I had problems.  And it still doesn't explain why it works ok via usb, then later on w/ usb disconnected, it becomes FUBAR'd.  

Sorry to hear someone got really messed up with this patch,  I never had the POD lockup me so bad as described above. 

by ozbadman on 2010-11-21 13:46:14

Lespaulidas wrote:

Ah.. OK,   Theres something goofy, because at one point I looked and my 2nd pedal controller settings and it was zilch..  But thats when I had problems.  And it still doesn't explain why it works ok via usb, then later on w/ usb disconnected, it becomes FUBAR'd.  

Sorry to hear someone got really messed up with this patch,  I never had the POD lockup me so bad as described above. 

Yeah, I'm certainly not trying to explain anything, just provide more data points. I've used this patch with USB disconnected (I don't think I ever tried it with USB conected) and so far, it's doing what I expect, but I haven't played with it that much I guess.

by ozbadman on 2010-11-21 13:52:39

So, I just tried it again, and used the onboard EXP pedal, which I hadn't tried before.

When you use the pedal, it sends the POD into unrecoverable "wacky dealy feedback mode". I have experienced this on other patches before as well so I assumed it was inherent to certain setups. Perhaps it is. In any case, that sounds like what you're seeing. Yes? If so, maybe a repost of this thread as q question so Line 6 Support sees it (they theoretically only look at questions, although have been known to look at other threads). Perhaps further investigation by us could also isolate the problem area, but I'm pretty sure it's the delays being controlled by the expression pedal. The only way back is to switch to another patch, then switch back.

David.

by ozbadman on 2010-11-21 14:03:09

Another update,

For me, after switching to the patch and before playing anything if I turn off FS2, which is the Tube Compressor and Phaser combo, the problem does not occur, no matter how much I play with the Foot Controller. Does that "fix" the problem for you? Just to check we're hearing the same thing.

David.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-21 14:07:10

Hi David

This patch is supposed to act that way I think.  I was using it earlier, and when I have the exp pedal heel back the incoming signal is delayed a little and then comes in leaving like a continuous ambient sound running under the whatever you play with the pedal toe down, but yep if I play something with the heel back it does feed back as long as you leave the pedal in that position, but tip the pedal forward and start playing and it becomes controllable.  I'm not sure if I am seeing the same as you, but I think I am.  I'm just using the on-board expression pedal.

Nick

by ozbadman on 2010-11-21 14:20:05

Ahhh, I see what you're saying Nick. I couldn't get it controllable as the feedback sound is determined when the heel is down, so you need to go heel down with no sound (or a different background chord/sound) then forward to solo while it rings on.

But, maybe that's what Lespaul is having trouble with too?

Cheers,

David.

by Lespaulidas on 2010-11-21 16:46:35

Nope.. Not the problem I had.  I understand how the patch works, and its very cool..  Was soloing for hours over it today (after removing my 2nd exp pedal).  The problem I had was specifically of it not saving successfully after the POD was disconnected.  The controllers got screwy every time after being unplugged.  Then upon trying to fix the situation by reloading the patch through HD Edit,  I was getting firmware mis match errors, which persisted until I rebooted the POD.   

As long as I leave the Second Exp pedal unplugged from my pod, I have no issues. 

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.