These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Gearbox PodFarm interaction errors- unsupported patch
by scrbarton on 2009-04-13 09:17:59

Firstly I do not understand why I have to use Gearbox to get tones in and out of my PodXT Live.  Why can't PodFarm do that for me?  It makes no sense not to have the functionality of PodFarm and Gearbox integrated into one application but the PodFarm standalone does not work with the PodXT Live.

Anyway, given that I do, I am having problems.  If I modify a tone in the PodFarm plugin in my DAW e.g. just by adding a note, when I try to load that tone again in Gearbox (say I wanted to put the tone back onto the PodXT Live) then the tone will not load. I get the message "Unable to Load Tone.  Reason: (Code 8000A009) Unsupported patch type.

I also don't understand the difference between the .gpt files that seem to come out of my PodXT Live and the l6t files that PodFarm seems to want to save

Can anyone shed any light on this and, more importantly, fix it?  Currently I can find no way of modifying a tone in the PodFarm plugin on my DAW and then playing it live on the Pod

Re: Gearbox PodFarm interaction errors- unsupported patch
by Line6Hugo on 2009-04-14 11:49:12

scrbarton,

Pod Farm was not intended to be used as an editor for the PODxt/X3 series. That is just how it is currently available. Also, you are trying to load a tone onto your PODxt Live that was created in software (POD Farm) that it is not compatible with the device at this time. As you have already encountered, this will not work at this time.

I would greatly recommend that you submit a feature request for these as I'm sure you are not the only one who would like to have this compatibility:

http://line6.com/company/contact/productFeedback/?topic_id=3

In the meantime, though this is not what you wanted to hear, you can take note of the preset settings in you plugins and recreate them on the POD or through Gearbox.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by scrbarton on 2009-04-14 14:15:59

Thanks for your reply Hugo but I'm sorry. that's just not good enough.  If I have software that can load a tone I have saved in Gearbox and that Gearbox can load then I do not expect that loading it in PodFarm and doing nothing other than adding a note to it and clicking on the save button provided should destroy the tone I originally created in Gearbox!!!

Gearbox understands the tones I export from my PodXT Live but forget the Pod compatibility aspect.  PodFarm understands the tones saved in Gearbox and loads them without having to "import" or anything like that.  Loading and saving a file in PodFarm should not mean that I have a file that will not go back into Gearbox.  There are no warnings, there is no advice that saving the file in PodFarm renders it unusable in anything other than PodFarm.

Frankly it's all a bit rubbish and not something I would expect from Line6 when I've been very pleased with my hardware and software so far and not something I would expect from version 3 of software I have just paid $50 for.  Moreover, I don't understand why it doesn't work as it I think it should.  If someone could explain it to me I'd be grateful.  I also don't understand the difference between gpt files and l6t files.  There doesn't seem to be anything in the documentation to explain what's going on

Simon

by scrbarton on 2009-04-14 15:41:40

OK let's be clear about this.  I quote from the PodFarm user guide on the subject of the Tone New/Open/Save options on page 3.4 of the plugin guide...

"

• New - Creates a new, empty Tone preset.
  • Open - Allows you to browse your computer to open a specific .l6t Tone Preset file directly. (Note that this includes .l6t Tone files you may have created with Line 6 Edit, GearBox or GuitarPort applications too!)  [brilliant - you might think!]
  • Save - Saves the currently loaded tone, if it is in a "tweaked" state.
  • Save As - Creates a copy of the current Tone settings as a new .l6t Tone Preset File wherever you like on your computer. "

As you can see there is no mention of the fact that the "tweaked" .l6t file you are saving (having created it with Gearbox) is now completely screwed and cannot be reloaded into Gearbox or used again in any way outside the PodFarm plugin.  

If PodFarm is supposed to be capable of saving .l6t files then Gearbox should be capable of reading them.  It's that simple

Please fix this.  This is not a feature request - it's a bug... a big one!

PS the same goes for Line 6 Edit too - it cannot load any tone that has been saved by the PodFarm plugin even if unmodified or if the modification is no more than adding a note.  This time the message is "This tone is not compatible with the PodXT Live"

by Line6Hugo on 2009-04-15 11:11:40

scrbarton,

I have already explained the functionality of POD Farm tones in Gearbox with your PODxt (which also pertains to older software such as Edit).

I have also presented to you with a contact link to write us with your concern to help instantiate the change(s) that you are looking for in Gearbox and Edit's usage of Pod Farm Tone's with a POD.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by scrbarton on 2009-04-17 16:04:20

I did read your email Hugo and i understood it but you don;t seem to understand the nature of the issue.

I am not trying to use PodFarm as a primary editor for PodXT Live tones nor am I trying to load a tone into my Pod that was created in software.

I play my Variax live and I record it in Sonar.  I don't think it is unreasonable to expect when I load a tone from Gearbox into PodFarm unmodified (i.e I have not "created it in software", it is straight out of my PodXt Live) then if I tweak it ever so slightly or just save it unmodified, it is completely screwed and won't load back into Gearbox Line 6, Edit or my Pod.

I might just want to tweak it slightly so it sounds right on a recording and then play that sound live.  I can do it by reproducing the settings but that's tedious and frankly a bit rubbish for £50 worth of software.  The file types are the same - l6t - and they contain the same information so why aren't they compatible?  Any program that handles .l6t files should handle all .l6t files otherwise I have to manage two sets and keep track of which one is which.

Actually this isn't a PodXt Live issue at all.  This is an issue that a Gearbox tone loaded into POdFarm can never be passed back the other way which I cannot imagine is a design feature - why would you have a save as button?

Fobbing me off with that's not how it works isn't really good enough and while I appreciate your responses, it shouldn't be up to me to instantiate bug fixes.

Simon

by ricksox on 2009-04-17 16:53:35

Hi,

This is a known issue which is called out in the POD Farm 1.03 release notes document.

From the doc:

Dual tones created in POD Farm will not open in Gearbox if using any device besides a POD X3. Only Tone 1 will load. (If you create a dual tone in POD Farm only Tone 1 will load into Gearbox if you are using a TonePort, POD XT or, GuitarPort device).

No, I have set this up and noticed that I get the same behavior when loading a SINGLE tone as well as a DUAL tone. So, I will have our QA department take a look at this in more detail.

POD Farm 1.03 release notes

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4850

Line6Miller

by scrbarton on 2009-04-19 16:11:32

Thank you - at least we now know that it's a known issue and that Gearbox should be able to load a tone modified in PodFarm, indeed created in PodFarm.

Next questions are when will this be fixed and can I deal with this issue by downgrading to 1.02?

by ricksox on 2009-04-20 10:39:15

I don't know where this bug lands as far as a priority for a fix goes. That is completely up to our software engineering team to consider. I will log your request in the bug however.

Line6Miller

by scrbarton on 2009-04-28 07:48:12

This is still an issue in PodFarm v1.10

by ricksox on 2009-04-28 14:30:01

Yes it is. As I mentioned I have acknowledged that this is a known issue and have logged your request for you.

Please feel free to submit another feature request/complaint.

http://line6.com/company/contact/productFeedback/?topic_id=3

Line6Miller

by Rburkow on 2009-11-21 06:40:04

has this been fixed yet?

by Dafa on 2010-05-10 06:10:11

Still not fixed? This is crap. I'd rather just have the old gearbox plugin (no longer availible) as opposed to podfarm since it doesn't work properly. How am I supposed to share tones between my line 6 devices? I have a UX2 and an XTL that I can't share between. Also, there is no excuse for the the pod farm interface not being able to control the XTL. They could at least make it look like podfarm....to make things less confusing. Where is the continuity between hardware!?!?     I see they had the time to come out with pod farm 2...but no fixes. Once again, this is crap. I won't buy anymore line 6 stuff until they fix these issues. <---period! Additionally, I don't like being a beta tester.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.