These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Whats dif between Compressors?
by Tombolino on 2010-11-28 17:34:47

Trying to experiement and understand best uses for X3's compressors for different genres/styles, would love your input

My impressions and guesses so far are:

-Blue Comp---low Volume, more for Acoustic?

-Vetta Comp - not sure what its best suited for really

-Red Comp-Adds some distortion? Not as potent as...

-Compression (the single standing one)-- Seems to be loudest, and colors the tone and does provide most compression effect.

Do you guys ever use COmpression plus one of the Stomp Compressors?

thanks

Re: Whats dif between Compressors?
by Tombolino on 2010-11-30 06:03:47

bump a bump

by pchapple on 2010-11-30 09:28:43

I'm not an expert on this I'm afraid, but if it helps, I tend to use the Red Comp before a slightly crunchy amp for a nice articulate blues tone, or in front of a high gain amp like the treadplate for definition.  So I turn the gain on the amp down a little and the drive the amp with the compressor - I find it is clearer than just driving the amp.  The COMP block I use after the Amp to smooth things out a little and and add a bit of bite, or level.

Still trying to learn things myself, so not sure how correct this all is strictly speaking.

by Tombolino on 2010-12-01 06:37:32

thanks mate.

Would love more opinions, anybody?

by timothybaugh on 2010-12-01 10:30:55

It's not easy to answer ...

Blue Comp is based on the the Boss CS-1 Compression Sustainer with the treble switch off whilst the Blue Comp Treb is based on the Boss CS-1 Compression Sustainer with the treble switch on. The CS-1 is from the late 70s and early 80s and had two simple knobs take care of level and sustain functions, while a little finger switch toggles between a fixed, normal and treble setting. The CS-1 squashes the signal in a nice subdued way. It wasn't terribly punchy due to a slow attack but, it does add a nice warm percussive quality to your tone that should be very appealing for sensitive jazz types, country pickers, and mellow rockers.

Red Comp is based on* the MXR Dyna Comp a widely used stompbox compressor. It takes all of the less dynamic sounds, such as low output strings or the 'pop' of your pick, and raises them to the same level as everything else. The Dyna Comp does this without losing top end, so you end up with incredible clarity and infinite sustain. Dave Gilmour uses one.

Line 6 Vetta Comp is taken from the Vetta II and has a fixed ratio (2.35:1) and up to 12db of gain. I'm not a fan of it to be honest.

Line 6 Compressor is based on the Telectronics LA-2A and is designed for a studio environment. The Telectronics LA-2A was a tube-based rack compressor used in the 1960's and beyond and adds a warm compression to any track.

Hope that helps.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.