These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 USB dry recording in DAW while listen normal HD processed audio.
by jazzpick on 2010-12-04 23:55:45

I'm almost ready to make a decision for the POD HD500. I already know the cool features in this new LINE6 flagship. Just one thing I get the doubt. Using the HD500 as USB audio device,  I want to record the dry not processed guitar signal in my DAW in order to process it with my software amp simulators and efx plugins while at the same time I hear the normal audio processed internally by POD HD amp/efx engine. In a similar way as I can accomplish that with my POD X3, using their USB ASIO driver record outputs 7 and 8. Is that possible with POD HD? .   

Thanks

JP

Re: POD HD500 USB dry recording in DAW while listen normal HD processed audio.
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-05 03:23:27

Not at present it isn't.  It is the subject of a number of feature requests.  You could record the dry signal from the POD HD500 via S/PDIF if you have a sound card already that has S/PDIF as one of its inputs, or you could set up two signal paths in the HD500 and make one of them dry.

Regards

Nick

by silverhead on 2010-12-05 08:58:44

just to elaborate on Nick's response.....

The best way to record a dry output from the HD500 is to set up a dual path tone. Use one path to provide a completely unprocessed signal (no amp, no cab, no FX).  In the mixer, pan the paths fully L/R respectively. In your DAW set the Record Input to be the corresponding L or R input from the HD500 USB Record Send options.

by jazzpick on 2010-12-05 10:09:54

Thanks Nickmattocks and Silverhead, your suggested procedure, although still not sufficiently flexible, it is a alt working way of get what I am looking for,  but I think I'll wait a little longer until USB audio and other system HD features get enhanced/improved with a new firmware update.

Thanks so much to both.

JP

by silverhead on 2010-12-05 10:24:08

Yeah - I'm really hoping the studio features of the HD500 get improved in a future firmware release. Of course there's no guarantee that will ever happen. Hope you don't have to wait too long!

by jazzpick on 2010-12-05 12:04:43

silverhead wrote:

...............Hope you don't have to wait too long!

Hehe, me too, anyway, GAS is a mind process that make oneself veeeery condescending, flexible...and impatient. Mean maybe my first path next week could be my nearest LINE6 dealer. 

by tahwos on 2011-03-11 20:05:51

I'm looking into doing the same thing, as suggested by Nick... XLR to my amp, and S/PDIF to the sound card. I currently use an active DI box or my mixer to "pass-through" the dry signal to my DAW - then use my VST plug-ins to molest them at will. I have not had a chance to use the S/PDIF yet, but I'm hoping it will reduce processor load, due to going through the A/D converter on the POD versus the sound card in the DAW.

by chimp_spanner on 2011-03-12 02:17:55

"Molest" lol. Awesome. I don't think SPDIF will reduce the CPU load at all though, unless I understood you wrong. But using a VST plugin on an analog input source will require the same CPU as using it on SPDIF.

by tahwos on 2011-03-12 13:40:01

chimp_spanner,

I was referring to "processor load" on the CPU as well as the sound card AD and DA converters, as a sort of blanket statement for the whole process.

i.e. - with the S/PDIF OUT to the sound card S/PDIF IN, there would be NO Analog to Digital conversion, beyond what happens in the POD. Then, take that completely "digital" dry signal recorded by the DAW, and apply the VST before, or even during playback, but NOT during recording. The big problem with audio or even midi, with VST, is applying the F/X in real-time while recording (latency). Hence, in theory, there should be less load on all components involved, forward of the POD, having an already "digital" dry signal.

And... since you mention it... applying a VST to an already digital signal, would still take the additional work of the initial AD conversion out of the DAW side of the equation.

Normally, if I can, I will audition all of my plug-ins on a per track basis, during playback ONLY, then apply them all at once during mixdown - where latency is a non-issue - it just might take a little longer, if you have a lot of plug-ins and automation going on all at once, but still not an issue as far as latency goes.

by chimp_spanner on 2011-03-13 03:30:04

Yeah I mean I'm familiar with using VST plugins, concepts of latency, etc. What I mean is that regardless of whether or not you recorded with SPDIF, or analog inputs, once it's in your sequencer it is digital, so the processor load will be the same either way. As for whether it makes a different when software monitoring/playing live through your plugins...well I couldn't say. Obviously the signal will have to go through converters but I should think this happens at a speed imperceptable by mere mortals I haven't ever noticed a CPU usage increase when tracking with soft amps using analog inputs vs digital. This, btw, is using an M-Audio FW410 as my interface. Even when using the sounds direct from the X3/HD I like to software monitor so I don't have to commit to an FX mix, can use better EQ's, etc. Cubase tells me I'm getting 3ms input and 3ms output. Feels pretty instant - I can get it lower than that if I run at the 410's native sample rate of 96kHz but then my computer implodes on itself haha.

**Edit: ideal solution would be an interface with DSP engine built in so I could use direct monitoring for zero latency. It's on the wishlist...

by tahwos on 2011-03-13 08:38:29

I see where you're coming from - the bottle neck isn't in the audio interface, but the CPU... so as long as the sound card can provide digital, faster than the computer can actually put it on the hard drive, the difference should be fairly transparent. I was just thinking that having that part of the process already done, before it hit the sound card, would effect the sum of the work done "in the box". Is your Firewire on a PCI card or on-board?

I try to do all of my DSP in POST as mush as possible, I feel it makes for a cleaner end result than, having to worry about tracks that already have an F/X patch, that I may end up adding to the whole mix. The sound card I'm getting, has the S/PDIF and zero latency hardware monitoring, but no DSP... I opted for one without, because I want my mix as dry as possible with maximum headroom, once it's in the DAW - then add the F/X @ mixdown. But... with the HD500, I can monitor directly from the floorboard and not have to worry about either. I'll do some tests when I get back up and running, to see if the S/PDIF vs. balanced has any measurable impact on DAW performance as a whole. I found some other issues while upgrading that need taken care of first - I moved everything from dual IDE to dual SATA, but apparently my SATA controller is an on-board chip, that does not play well with PCI sound. So now, another MoBo is on the list, with SATA in the South Bridge, to cut the neck off yet another bottle. ;-)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.