These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

EXP-2 pedals, What works best and can take the punishment??
by racetra on 2010-12-05 21:52:42

I need a pedal for volume only in exp-2. I have a new mission eng pedal but they are having problems with them. They are working with L6 on it but I cant wait. I have gigs. I have heard the EX-1 is not very stout. I heard the same thing about the boss/roland pedal. I dont have a lot of room on my board. The mission is basically a Crybaby shell....Same size anyway. What about Ernie Ball Jr? I looked but they are 25k and from what I understand, I need a 10K.

What works and is solid enough to withstand 60-80 gigs a season?

Re: EXP-2 pedals, What works best and can take the punishment??
by Karl_Houseknecht on 2010-12-06 09:09:55

The Mission Engineering pedal is the best.

http://www.mission-engineering.com/Mission-Engineering/Products.html

EP1-L6 is the one you want.  Really sturdy, built like a steel brick.  Nice inverse log pot just like on a wah.

by racetra on 2010-12-06 09:30:48

Hey Karl, Yea, thats what I bought but it doesnt work. I only get half of the pedal stroke. So the whole sweep is squeezed into that half of the stroke. I am gonna call them again. He says that it is an HD (500 only) issue and he has been in contact with L6.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2010-12-06 10:22:38

Oh no!  I'm sorry for recommending that.  Must be some kind of calibration thing on the 500.  And I'm sorry for not reading more carefully.

You probably don't want the Ernie Ball.  The pots have an audio taper, which isn't good for expression purposes.  And the mechanism is made up of a PIECE OF STRING.

by phil_m on 2010-12-06 10:32:10

Well, if you're actually mounting the pedal to a pedalboard, I find the EX-1 isn't really bad.  Yeah, they're not metal, but I've had two on my main pedalboard over the last 9 or so years, and they've never let me down.   Actually, now that I think of it, other than my main guitar, they are probably the two pieces of gear I've owned for the longest time now...  For doing things like controlling various parameters on effects, I actually think I may like them better than Crybaby style housing.  It's a bit easier for me to see where the pedal is parked on them, I think.

by racetra on 2010-12-06 10:35:57

Haha, no worries. You are right though. It is the best pedal out there as far as construction. It is supposedly built to the specs of the L6 pedal so not sure where the problem is. I have read nothing but bad reviews on the L6 pedal as well as the Boss pedal being plastic and breaking. This one fits my pedalboard also. I will keep ya'll up to date on this.

Is anybody using the Line 6 EX-1 with the HD-500 with any success?

by stratpicker on 2010-12-06 10:37:32

Have to agree on the EX-1.  Definately a lighter weight, so if you "drive" with a heavy foot, going between the built-in and the EX-1 takes some getting used to, but it's pretty reliable.  I did have to open mine up a year ago and rework the connection to the jack as it had come lose and the wiring was bad.  Easy fix and it's been fine since.

I did just put it into use with my HD500 and so far it's been great.

by racetra on 2010-12-06 10:38:04

I wasnt quick enough

by gtrman100 on 2010-12-06 10:39:11

I've had a Boss EV-5 for 10 years and it works well, except that occasionally I have to tighten the nuts that are on the pivot because they loosen up. It's plastic but so is my Corvette(lol!). The EV-5 works fine with all the Line 6 pedals.

by dschaaf on 2010-12-06 11:50:16

Yes, I have the EX-1 and it seems to work perfect with my HD500. I had ordered 2 of the mission pedals last week but after reading the issue with the half stroke (which is the same issue I had when I tried my Boss FV500H) I have decided to hold off on the Mission pedals until it is fixed.

Thanks,

d.

by racetra on 2010-12-06 11:54:51

Hey D, how wide is the ex1? I have 4 inches left on my board. The Mission fits perfect with a flat angle jack on the side.

by dschaaf on 2010-12-06 11:57:01

3 1/4"w  x  8"L  x  2"H when flat

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-06 11:59:03

racetra wrote:

Hey D, how wide is the ex1? I have 4 inches left on my board. The Mission fits perfect with a flat angle jack on the side.

I haven't measured it exactly, but just looking at it I'd say it's 3" approx, and the jack socket is on the top end.  It should fit your board.

Nick

by racetra on 2010-12-06 12:12:39

I am waiting to hear back from James @ Mission to see where they are at with this. I might just pick up an ex for temp use.

Hate to spend the $50 though

by stumpsout on 2010-12-06 21:29:29

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

Oh no!  I'm sorry for recommending that.  Must be some kind of calibration thing on the 500.  And I'm sorry for not reading more carefully.

You probably don't want the Ernie Ball.  The pots have an audio taper, which isn't good for expression purposes.  And the mechanism is made up of a PIECE OF STRING.

hey Karl,

I use the Ernie Ball...can you tell me what is not good about that audio taper on the pots..?

hopefully I will understand

by boynigel on 2010-12-06 21:51:16

racetra wrote:

Haha, no worries. You are right though. It is the best pedal out there as far as construction. It is supposedly built to the specs of the L6 pedal so not sure where the problem is. I have read nothing but bad reviews on the L6 pedal as well as the Boss pedal being plastic and breaking. This one fits my pedalboard also. I will keep ya'll up to date on this.

Is anybody using the Line 6 EX-1 with the HD-500 with any success?

i've got an EX1, and for plastic it has taken a beating so far, still works great.  if i didn't get it for so cheap, i probably would have never even considered it.  glad i did.  the upside of it being plastic is that you can put it in your guitar's gig bag and not have to worry about the weight of a heavier, metal pedal damaging your guitar.

by phil_m on 2010-12-07 06:44:38

Well, generally for expression control, you'd want a linear tap pot so that the position of the pedal corresponds to the relative position of the control parameter.  Like, if you have the pedal tied to a mix parameter, for example and had the heel and 0% and the toe at 100%, when the pedal at about 65% down, the mix should be at 65%.  An audio taper pot has a logarithmic (more or less) taper, so there will a lot more movement in the lower part of the sweep and less as you move towards the top.  Now, this is actually what you want for a volume pedal usually, because it kind of mimics how we actually hear sound - it takes 10X the power for us to perceive something as twice as loud.  So if you looked at the actual sound power level, they would be increasing in big jumps as you travel up a log pot, but we hear it as smooth, near linear transition from soft to loud.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2010-12-07 07:41:27

phil_m wrote:

An audio taper pot has a logarithmic (more or less) taper, so there will a lot more movement in the lower part of the sweep and less as you move towards the top.

It's actually the opposite.  For a wah, for instance, an audio taper pot will make it so most of the wah sweep occurs in the uppermost portion of the pedal sweep.

by missioneng on 2010-12-08 01:34:19

We have identified an issue with the Mission EP1-L6 and the Pod HD 400/500 where the effect reaches full value short of the full travel of the pedal 2 expression pedal. We have determined the cause to be the HD pedal 2 interface being more sensitive to the absolute value of the resistance of the pedal than other Line 6 devices. A small change to the value of a resistor in the Mission pedal has resolved the problem. Following some additional testing just to make sure the change has no unexpected effects, we will be updating the production and posting instructions for how any existing EP1-L6 owners can update their pedals. We will offer the choice to receive a self install upgrade kit, or return the pedal to Mission for upgrading. Please email us at info@mission-engineering.com with any questions.

by racetra on 2010-12-08 01:45:34

This is great news. If anyone is looking for a great pedal with incredible support....Look no further. The guys at mission are what the business world of this country needs to take a hard look at.......This IS how it done!!

Thanks to James and everyone at Mission

Forever a customer!

Thanks

T

by paulsteinway on 2010-12-08 19:21:28

Here is the thread with Mission Engineering's response on the EP1-L6 issue.

http://line6.com/community/thread/50569

tl:dr They have a solution which will be posted on the site in the next couple of days.

EDIT: Never mind. They put it in this thread too.

by paulsteinway on 2010-12-08 19:25:00

Actually the EP1-L6 pedal has a linear pot.

by missioneng on 2010-12-09 17:45:58

An official update is now available. Please check out the EP1-L6 Pod HD compatibility notice at http://www.mission-engineering.com/Mission-Engineering/Support.html. Thanks for all the support while we resolved this issue. Mission Support Team.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.