These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Pod Studio GX - pulsing noise issue (old)
by chutler on 2009-04-14 11:23:59

This is a thread from the old Line 6 message boards.  I never did manage to solve it and I hated to see this thread sit where it could no longer be commented on or searched. Right now the GX is sitting idle waiting for me to have enough time to basically start from scratch with an OS re-install and adding software piecemeal or purchase a new PC.  Neither will happen soon.  Perhaps someone will have some new thoughts on the issue or perhaps not - at least it's accessable to the new community.

Thanks and cheers to Line6 for the new community area,

Craig

Pod Studio GX - Pulsing noise
by chutler on 2009-02-25 10:37:00               
I just picked up a Pod Studio GX and last night I installed Pod Farm and the GX hardware. When I fire it up and play the sound pulses on and off in about 1 second intervals. It's just like someone is flicking a switch on and off.

I uninstalled and re-installed with the latest version of Farm (1.03) and it's still happening. I would guess it's due to my sound card settings (SB Live!) or another program running but I haven't solved it yet through trial and error. Any thoughts what would cause that pulse?

I've uploaded a clip of what's happening on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXm3cH-ol2c

Re: Pod Studio GX - Pulsing noise
by fester2000 on 2009-02-25 10:51:43               
It sounds like it may be a wireless card interfering with the signal? Are you on a laptop? It shouldn't have anything to do with your SB card, b/c that should be disabled when you plug in the GX.

If none of this helps, please describe all the components in your entire signal path, including software on the computer that you're using and how it is that you're listening (eg headphones, speakers connected to the GX, etc.).

Cheers,

Fester2k

by chutler on 2009-02-25 19:59:13               
Hey Fester2k - 

> It sounds like it may be a wireless card interfering with the signal? Are you on a laptop?

I'm on a desktop PC that is hardwired to a router. Is it possible a wi-fi router (D-Link DIR-628) would interfere? I would be very disappointed if that were the case...

> please describe all the components in your entire signal path, 
Les Paul -> George L's cable -> Pod GX -> Dell Desktop

> including software on the computer that you're using 
I've turned everything in the background (software-wise) off except Norton Internet Security. Nothing seems to make a difference.

>how it is that you're listening (eg headphones, speakers connected to the GX, etc.)
Sony headphones connected to the Pod GX

by chutler on 2009-02-26 15:01:58               
So I sat down with the GX this morning to take another whack at troubleshooting the problem and...no pulsing soundI didn't change a thing from the last time I tried.  I didn't even restart my PC...all the variables are the same as when it was pulsing.  

So while it's working I still don't feel like I've solved the problem or that it won't come back. If anyone has experienced this sound and figured out the source please let me know.

by Line6Andy on 2009-02-26 16:10:39               
Hello, 
Did you have a cell phone nearby when you first tried trouble shooting? Cell phones can sometimes cause strange noises in the speakers, which you may have noticed.
Here are some other trouble shooting tips you can go through to get your system ready to work with audio:

[4201] Computer System Audio Optimization
http://line6.com/support/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=12&externalID=4201&fromSearchPage=true

Line6Andy

by chutler on 2009-02-26 17:51:33               
> Hello, 
> Did you have a cell phone nearby when you first
> tried trouble shooting?  

It's not a cell phone and it's not my router.  I unplugged the router and the pulse was still there.

I was free of the pulse until I started Windows Media Player 11 on my system and now it's back. I stopped WMP and tried killing all the processes associated with it and still the pulse is there. I've restarted the system a couple of times now and I can't get rid of it again.

by fester2000 on 2009-02-27 07:20:00               
Hmm...tough stuff, this "pulsing" that you're describing. Does everything pulse (WMP tunes, Pod tunes, etc.), or is it just when you're playing guitar through the GX that you get the pulse? If it's everywhere, does it still happen when you disconnect the GX?

Have you tried connecting your GX to a different USB connector? You're not using a USB hub, are you? Any chance your USB bus is dying (I had that happen on a work computer once...it created really weird glitches in the system).

I'm just trying to brainstorm here.   Can you record some soundclips so we can hear what you're describing?  

Cheers,

Fester2k

by chutler on 2009-02-27 10:45:13               
>Does everything pulse (WMP tunes, Pod tunes, etc.), or is it just when you're playing > guitar through the GX that you get the pulse?

Nothing else pulses. The pulsing only exists once a cord is plugged into the GX and Pad Farm is running. You can see the pulses in the PF meters. Muting Pod Farm stops the pulsing sound.

> Have you tried connecting your GX to a different USB
> connector?  

Yes.  It hasn't seemed to make a difference.

> You're not using a USB hub, are you?  

No.  I am not.

> Any chance your USB bus is dying 

Not likely.  Everything else is working just fine.

> Can you record some soundclips so we can hear what you're describing?  

I can try. I would describe the sound as a 60-cycle hum that pulses at 1 second intervals. Say this at normal speaking cadence and you'll get the idea: "buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz" Like a heart beat. I think it's something running on the computer rather than RF interference because I believe I'd hear that in my speakers and other audio programs. Right?

I'm using a Win XP machine so I'm considering setting up a second user account that loads the minimum amount of programs to see if that makes a difference. Assuming I am able to do that...

by Line6Miller on 2009-02-27 12:16:18               
Is your computer a laptop? I'm asking because you said the sound is similar to a 60 cycle hum. To me, that sounds like a ground loop. If your computer is a laptop, try unplugging the power supply and running on batteries and see if the problem goes away.

Line6Miller

by chutler on 2009-02-27 12:33:25               
> Is your computer a laptop? 

No.  Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop running XP with service pack 3.

by Line6Andy on 2009-02-27 14:19:14               
Hello, 
Try installing the software on a second computer to see if you can duplicate the situation. If not, it sounds like a computer issue rather than a Line6 hardware/software issue. If you can duplicate the situation on more than one computer, answer the following questions and we can assist you further:

[4429] Forum Guidelines Part 4: Posting a Question Template
http://line6.com/support//entry.jspa?externalID=4429&categoryID=1

* Line 6 Product:
* Flash memory/Firmware version installed:
* Line 6 Monkey version installed:
* Line 6 Drivers version installed:
* Line 6 Application (i.e. Riffworks, Line 6 edit, Gearbox) software and version:
* Operating System:
* I s this a dual boot system? If yes, please list all applicable operating systems:
* CPU/Processor Type and Speed:
* RAM:
* USB Ports: (#, location, speed 1.0/2.0) :
* USB Devices connected to on your system: (Including any HUBs) :
* Security software installed on your system (anti-virus, pop-up blockers, firewalls) :
* Audio recording programs on your system (i.e. Sonoma, Ableton, Cakewalk, Pro Tools, etc) :
* Audio playback programs on your system (i.e. Real Player, Winamp, Itunes, WMP) :
* Type of internet connection: Cable modem, DSL, satellite, dial up:
Please note: Line 6 does not support satellite or dial up internet service

General troubleshooting questions (choose N/A if it does not apply)::
* Does Line 6 Monkey recognize your device? :
* Have you reinstalled the drivers for this device directly from the Line 6 website for your OS? :
* Have you tried different USB cables? :
* Are you connecting directly to a USB port on the back of your computer? :
* Have you shut down all security software/other programs? :
* Have you tried to replicate the problem on a different computer? :

Line6Andy

by chutler on 2009-02-28 17:00:32               
> Try installing the software on a second computer to
> see if you can duplicate the situation.  If not, it
> sounds like a computer issue rather than a Line6
> hardware/software issue. 

I never assumed it was a problem with the Line6 hardware/software but rather a conflict with something else on my machine. Just to be certain I installed the GX and Pod Farm on my work laptop and it worked just fine. I also placed the laptop in the same place as my desktop to see if it picked up any RF. It didn't.

So the Line 6 hardware/software is indeed conflicting with something on my machine...I just can't figure out what. It surprises me that no one else on the boards has had a similar issue.

by Line6Miller on 2009-03-03 10:24:44               
Hi,

We've had some reports of similar noises however they have mostly been Mac related and even then we're talking newer 8 quad Mac Pros.

Just to be thorough, take a look at the video the user posted and let me know if this is what you are experiencing.

http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa?messageID=321191

Line6Miller

by chutler on 2009-03-03 16:42:18               
> let me know if this is what you are
> experiencing.

> http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa?messageID=321191&
> #321191

I'm not hearing the same thing. In the video this users sounds are very scrambled. On my machine the sound isn't scrambled - it's the normal processed guitar sound interrupted by pulses or spikes that sound a little like a flip of a noisy pickup selector switch. I installed riff tracker on a whim and that is effected by the pulse as well.

If I adjust the buffer I change the tempo of the spike but there isn't a setting that eliminates it.

I still think it's a software conflict but I'm at my wits end after hours of trial and error trying to track this down....

by Line6Perry on 2009-03-04 10:18:00               
What videocard is installed on your system?

Also, is it possible that you use a Logitech web camera device?

Please let us know.

by chutler on 2009-03-04 10:33:33               
> What videocard is installed on your system?

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS/XT

> Also, is it possible that you use a Logitech web
> camera device?

No cam at all.

by Line6Perry on 2009-03-04 10:55:47               
You might try disabling your videocard and see if the symptoms persist. The fact that you're able to use your POD Studio GX on your work computer without issue tells us that your GX is not malfunctioning if it operates correctly on a different computer.

[4201] Computer System Audio Optimization
http://line6.com/support/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=12&externalID=4201&fromSearchPage=true

Beyond the contents of this document and a suggestion to try diabling your videocard to see if the pulsing goes away, I have no other ideas at the moment.

I suppose you could try a System Restore to an earlier registry snapshot setting. Our main concern was to identify whether the POD Studio GX was problematic. Seeing that it's not, we can only provide so much software troubleshooting before drawing the line at other manufacturer's possible software conflicts and ultimate Microsoft XP operating system support.

by chutler on 2009-03-06 06:26:15               
> You might try disabling your videocard and see if the
> symptoms persist. 

I will try that however I also had a period where the GX worked o my desktop.  

> Our main concern
> was to identify whether the POD Studio GX was
> problematic. Seeing that it's not, we can only
> provide so much software troubleshooting before
> drawing the line at other manufacturer's possible
> software conflicts and ultimate Microsoft XP
> operating system support.

I'm your customer...shouldn't your main concern be my satisfaction with your product? I understand how difficult it is to provide support in these situations but isn't that the reason for this forum? I came here hoping someone in the community would have had a similar situation and a solution.

I've uploaded a clip of what's happening on YouTube: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXm3cH-ol2c

Re: Pod Studio GX - pulsing noise issue (old)
by dkukulka on 2009-07-13 05:02:51

Did you ever get an official response to this?

I've had the same problem on a couple of laptops with latest drivers.

The cause ended up being wireless adapters.  If I disable them everything is fine.

I'm disappointed that there is no fix for this yet as it renders Gearbox Online useless!

by chutler on 2009-07-13 06:21:19

The only official responses are in the post above.

The desktop machine I'm having issues with is hard-wired to my wireless router.  Unplugging that router didn't correct my problem. I managed to set up the system on a Dell laptop and place it near my router with no issue.  I've pretty much given up trying to troubleshoot the situation on my desktop.

by strat789 on 2009-07-25 08:04:40

I posted this originally on a thread relating to using my X3 Live,  Gearbox and USB noise but it seems to be the same issue:

I am also suffering with the same high frequency (pulsing) noise using my laptop's USB interface on a ACER Aspire 5920G laptop

Interestingly, I've found that there isn't any (audible) noise using the laptop on it's internal batteries  ie when I disconnect the Power Supply from the laptop.

So, from the above, I believe that the noise orginates from the laptop's switch-mode Power Supply.

FYI - This common type of power supply generates nasty (to the analogue world)  high frequency pulses of interference

I'm going to investigate using another laptop (Dell) and see if I get the same problem and resolution.

The one thing that I might investigate next is the use of Mains filters;  on the 'mains' feed to the laptop mains adaptor and/or the mains feed to the X3 Live.

I just googled and in the UK there's this: http://www.premierproductsonline.co.uk/product/1163/tacima-mains-conditioner-6-way-with-rf-filter

style="padding: 0px; min-height: 8pt; height: 8pt;">

Since the above I tried a Dell Lattitude laptop and there isn't any noise whatsoever using mains power adaptor.

So, I cannot use my ACER laptop for recording or Gearbox, unless I only use it running on the batteries ...which really isn't very practical.

by j_anderton on 2009-09-01 05:46:28

Same Issue and omg its so annoying

No way of recording

I have a brand new acer aspire, really good new laptop

it just doesnt work

nothing else has a problem but this

by jpgjohan on 2009-12-01 13:41:50

Have exactly the same problem using a HP pavillion and an UX2, with batteries no problemo, with the charger connected

I get this bloody noise, personally I think it´s a Line6 issue

by jpgjohan on 2009-12-21 10:41:05

Woops, it was actually a ground loop, isolated the ground pin and the noise disappeared, don´t know what effect this will have

on the computer but at least the noise is gone

by ConorB on 2010-02-08 09:55:37

what exactly is a ground loop?

by steve41dog on 2010-03-10 19:54:13

I fixed this issue by changing the USB lead to one with the 'mains filter' you guys have described above this posting, it looks and feels like a heavy cylinder on one end of the USB lead and the annoying 'tempo drum' disappeared!!! And I can play in my own tempo!!!

check the foto...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.