These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Variax pot "zipper" noise with VDI/HD500, not XTL or 1/4"
by mdmayfield on 2010-12-12 11:31:22

I'm getting annoyingly audible "zipper" noise when I use the volume or tone pots on either of two different Variaxes, but only when using the VDI cable into the HD500.

There is no noise when using the VDI connection to an XT Live, and no noise when using the powered 1/4" cable, either into the HD or a regular amp.

Can anyone duplicate this, and is there anything I can do about it?

Re: Variax pot "zipper" noise with VDI/HD500, not XTL or 1/4"
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-12 13:45:49

I haven't specifically checked since reading your post, but I have not noticed anything untoward.  it's too late to check now, but I had a thought - is your VDI cable all it should be - no worn or bent pins or anything that you can see?

Nick

by silverhead on 2010-12-12 14:32:45

I would suspect a bent wire in the HD500 VDI jack. Take a close look at the wires inside the jack. If one appears out of alignment, make a J-hook tool out of a bread-bag wire twist. Use it to very gently lift/nudge the wire back into position.

by mdmayfield on 2010-12-12 17:19:28

Thanks for the replies.

On visual inspection, the VDI jack in the HD500 looks to be in perfect shape. All 8 wires are at the same angle, not dirty or anything else.

Note that this only happens with the HD500, not with an XTL.

Do you guys have a Variax -> VDI -> HD500 setup, and you do not get any noise when adjusting the volume or tone pots?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-12 22:02:21

mdmayfield wrote:

Do you guys have a Variax -> VDI -> HD500 setup, and you do not get any noise when adjusting the volume or tone pots?

Yes, that's correct.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-13 00:04:54

Just for 'completeness' I have just connected my Variax 700 to my HD500 via VDI cable and checked for zipper noise.  As I remembered, there is no sign of this.

I just had a thought:  You don't have batteries loaded in your Variax by any chance do you?

Nick

by frenchfries on 2010-12-13 01:38:07

I notice this zipper noise since the beginning, each time i plug my 2003 Variax 500 through Workbench...

by mdmayfield on 2010-12-13 07:18:19

No batteries.

I've narrowed it down to definitely only the HD500 and definitely only with the VDI cable. Two different Variraxes, same everything else.

Are you saying this could be a grounding/earthing issue? I know that when those knobs are used, MIDI commands are sent over two of the lines in the VDI. I also hear a single "tick" of the noise when changing models, so that would fit.

I will try a different cable next.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-13 07:28:50

Maybe it is a grounding issue - I wouldn't like to say for sure.  I have three VDI compatible Variaxes here and none of them do what you describe with the HD500.  I don't know whether it could be your cable perhaps.  The only way you'll know is to try another one I guess.

Good luck

regards

Nick

by silverhead on 2010-12-13 07:35:31

You probably already know this but a standard Ethernet / RJ45 cable will be perfectly adequate as a test cable - you don't need to use a Line 6 VDI cable for the one-time test. If you discover that it is a faulty cable then of course you should replace it with a Line 6 VDI cable permanently. But if the problem persists on a standard RJ45 cable then you know there's no need to replace your VDI cable.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.