These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

need some pics of the inside of the variax (coffin)...
by chrisblackwell on 2010-12-14 11:22:21

hi there...

i just bought a potentially non-working coffin off of ebay...  hopefully i can get it working and make a transplant out of it...

anyway, because it might not be working, my first attempt to troubleshoot it is to connect it via VDI to my X3L and see if line6 monkey detects it...  i've already ordered a punch-down RJ45 jack...  because i've never owned a variax guitar, and because alot of the pictures of the insides of the variax that i remember from a couple years ago are no longer coming up on google images, i really have no idea where the VDI jack connects on the variax board...

i've already asked this in the variax transplants group, but since i imagine that alot of the people on this forum are people that just use the variax guitar as-is, without any modification, i figured that maybe somebody here could provide me with a few pics of an unmodified coffin and how everything is connected...  and as sometimes pictures themselves can be a little confusing, it would be even better if somebody can try to figure out the exact pinout (ie. which terminal on the RJ45 jack goes to what terminal on the variax board)...

thanks in advance to anybody that can help...

chris

Re: need some pics of the inside of the variax (coffin)...
by JellyWheat on 2010-12-14 13:04:48

(B>*}... pssst...PSST! You want I put you in touch with amx05462? Eez possible... for a price!

Please turn on your webcam and repeat after me:

...unnng-GAH... uhnng-GAH....uhnng-GAH!

Hope this helps.

JW

[...he comes and goes as he will, like wind that passes in the night.]

by amx05462 on 2010-12-14 15:54:44

best   i got  chris  hope  it helps if you save  it  and  blow  it  up    you can see better.

by silverhead on 2010-12-14 16:23:26

I don't have actual pictures. The pic provided by amx looks like a Varix 500/700 kit - which does not have the coffin assembly of the 300. But I did a similar thing recently with a Variax 300 coffin assembly. I purchased all required hardware (other than the coffin assembly) from my local Line 6 parts supplier.

It's really quite simple. Other than the motherboard there are just two other boards/electronic components. Both the RJ45/1/4" assembly and the bridge/saddle assemblies come  pre-wired with plastic plugs designed to snap into the motherboard  inside the coffin. And the motherboard/coffin assembly has two corresponding plastic connector points to accept the plugs from the combined RJ45/14" jack and the plug from the bridge/pickup circuit board. It's easy to tell which one goes where because they won't fit into each other's plug.

The RJ45/14" jack connector fits through a hole in the coffin nearest the model selector knob on the coffin (that's the one that looks different from the other two vol/tone knobs). It plugs into the plastic connector on the motherboard that is nearest that point.

The bridge/pickup board connector fits through the coffin nearer the other end of the coffin and fits into the other plastic connector.

In each case there are guiding ridges on the connector to help you make sure it's connecting properly (not upside down).

Other than that there's the battery connection and the pickup selector switch, both of which (at least in my case) were pre-wired / connected to the motherboard when I received the coffin assembly.

Hope that helps.

by amx05462 on 2010-12-14 16:50:51

the picture  is of a 300    i tossed  the coffin case   way back  its  not needed  the  reason for the coffin case  is  to make   this a drop in assembly rather  than   individual  instaled  units   also  there  is  1  ruted  area  for most  of the  electronics.  also  this saves  line  6  having  all those  plastic covers  made as this  unit   bolts  to the   pick guard  and  drops  in as  an assembly  needing  only the    output  plug  and  the   bridge  plug    hooked  up.  again this  is a  variax 300  my personal  one.

by chrisblackwell on 2010-12-14 16:51:29

thanks for the response...

the problem is, however, not which component goes to what connector, but the actual pinout of those connectors...  i can see from the pics that i can find that, in general, the VDI goes to the biggest connector...  but the VDI (which is an RJ45) has 8 pins, and the big connector has quite a bit more than 8 pins...  so which pins on that big connector do the VDI pins go to?

by chrisblackwell on 2010-12-14 16:53:25

thanks amx...  is this from a 300?

by chrisblackwell on 2010-12-14 16:59:29

ok cool...  it's a 300...  and i can see that the big connector doesn't actually plug into the VDI, but that it plugs into the "control pot" board, and the VDI plugs into that board...

is it possible to take a few more detailed pics of how these three things connect to eachother?

by emux2 on 2010-12-21 13:48:15

Look here:

http://www.transaxeguitars.com/

Besure to check out the "technical" tab

by chrisblackwell on 2010-12-23 23:07:47

ya, i've seen that before...  fact is those photos don't provide enough detail to find the pinout...  amx gave me some great pics in the transplants group and it's still pretty confusing...  i'm waiting to get the coffin and hook it up to my parker fly and see what happens...

by JellyWheat on 2010-12-24 02:45:34

!(8>ᶗ}!... be sure to tune in on New Year's Eve, chrisblackwell!!!

... rumour has it that you are going to be awarded the "Golden Shovel" for 2010! 

Merry Christmas

JellyWheat

by chrisblackwell on 2010-12-25 01:50:15

hey jellywheat...  do me a favor and "contribute" to somebody else's discussion...  i'm looking for positive contributions...  i'm not looking to be a springboard to your fledgeling career as a stand up comedian...  the forum title is "need some pics of the inside of the variax (coffin)"...  do you have such pictures?  so far, not yet...  so this discussion doesn't apply to you...  i wish you well...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.