These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

win7, UX2 clicks and pops, still, with over a year to fix, line6 cannot fix this - WHY????
by hduk on 2010-12-17 04:33:43

Toneport UX2 STILL clicks and pops and could cause damage to my other equiment.

Why won't line6 just be true and confirm beyond any doubt if this will be fixed, if so, when?

If not, just say so.

This problem has gone on too long and has disrupted my work for too long.

Should I dump Line6 for good now - or wwill Line6 fix this...

Q: how many tickets/questions have been raised on this subject and how many have been closed without any fix provided - if only line6 were as good afixing bugs than they are at closing valid tickets.

***Please do not close this ticket until a driver fix has been released and confirmed to fix the blinkin issue****

Re: win7, UX2 clicks and pops, still, with over a year to fix, line6 cannot fix this - WHY????
by Rowbi on 2010-12-17 07:24:51

hey man... sounds like you're having a tough time... I'm gonna try to help you understand how this should all work, so that you can then get the best support for your issue.

first off, this isn't a ticket, this is a technical question.  the forum sometimes automatically assumes when someone answers you that you've had an answer... I think then you have to respond back to it to unmark it as assumed answered... I'm not entirely sure myself, so I will ask L6 for clarification on this seperately...  but your old thread: http://line6.com/community/message/173644#173644isn't closed, it's assumed answered.  just reply to it saying you still have an issue and it wont be assumed answered any more...  it's also a good idea when you open a new thread to link to the old one, so that it's easy to see the whole story.

when a line 6 tech is happy that there is a bug with the software, and they need to support you further, they can open a support ticket... the difference between a support ticket, and a technical question (like this is), is that a tech Q is on a public forum, and a supprot ticket is private to just you and the line 6 techs... I've had support tickets left open for ages when I've had the odd issue, even as simple as waiting for a spare part to come into stock for a fix...

BUT to get a support ticket opened, you need to provide enough detailed information about what's happening for line 6 to open the ticket...

if you click the 'my account' link at the top of this page, then that will take you to a place where you can view some information.  firstly, click on the support profile, and fill it in with as much details as you can about your actual PC system.  if you have more than 1 system, make 2 support profiles, but make it clear in the name for them, what they are.

then go back to your account and click on the support tickets link... do you have any there? if you have an open one, you can respond directly to it and line 6 will be notified to your new message.

ok now down to the actual issue.  I'm assuming you have tried all the things from the audio optimisation guide (it's with the manuals on the support link at the top of this page)? and you've searched on the forum for some more info about how to resolve this issue??  not trying to suggest you don't have an issue, but it's not a general driver issue with UX2 and Win7, as I'm sitting here now playing music from my Win7 PC through a UX2... I listen for hours and hours sometimes and never get any glitches, and I also record sometimes, and use POD Farm 2... again no issues.... so the thing to remember here is that the bit that's different is yours and my PC hardware, our actual individual installations of Windows 7, and of course you and me being different end users.

you mentioned in another thread that turning off something on your wireless card helped... well that's because some built in wireless cards use USB.  I also know that the way USB works is that it tries to share its bandwidth, so in the middle of using your UX2, your wireless card will keep trying to connect to wireless networks, so will keep 'interrupting' your UX2's audio stream, causing clicks and pops... try disabling the wifi card in the bios as a test... I realise you may want to use it, but just try it as a test.

also have you updated your drivers recently, as I think a new driver version came out recently.

so I hope you see that there's no real way L6 can say "oh yes we'll fix the drivers to work for you and it'll be done an xxx date"... first off they have to find a bug, and as I use windows 7 64bit ultimate, with a cure2duo and 8GB RAM, it's a very similar system to yours.... so let's try to start the process of finding where the fault is... please try all the things I've suggested, and we'll see what you come back with so we can progress this further and get L6 to open a ticket soon.

Regards

Rowbi

Re: win7, UX2 clicks and pops, still, with over a year to fix, line6 cannot fix this - WHY????
by hduk on 2010-12-17 07:38:29

dude, thanks for the reply, BUT it is a reply from Line6 that i'm after.... not more and more troubleshooting, enough is enough

just wish line6 could spend the amount of time you have in typing your reply to reply with a fix or no fix

I just wish they could pull their finger out and just answer or ideally fix this burning problem that is affecting so many users.

i am sure they have enough technical info about this problem as it has burnt so many users

I just want.... to bring an end to this.... is for Line6 to own up to bad support and either fix or just say that they will not fix this issue so i can destroy my UX2 (and maybe my variax and x3 too) and put the destruction on youtube and never ever buy another line6 product again.

The onus is on line6 to come clean, not its troubled users who have suffered with clicks and pops and crap responses for way too long.

by Rowbi on 2010-12-17 07:48:17

no worries on the help.  most of it is is out there if you search, but I thought I'd be helpful and type it in one place for you...

anyway, back to the issue... I tried to help...

you need to treat your problem as an individual issue... like I said this isn't affecting all windows 7 users, so I do not believe there is a 1 fix for all users solution to this...

If you're not willing to post some actual results of testing (which you're saying you're not prepared to do) then I feel you are setting yourself up for a fall, and line 6 will have a difficult time to meet your unreasonable expectation that they should be able to just fix your problem that you give them no assistance to diagnose...

I have seen many users come on here saying they have some clicks and pops, they are told to read the optimisation guide, and they do what it says and it fixes their issues... why are your problems in particular so special that you insist it's a faulty driver?

I'm just trying to help you chap... I realise you'll need to respond again to this thread so it un-marks it as assumed answered, so that L6 will see it... so I wont respond again... Please just help Line 6 to help you, and you will get the desired end result eventually.

Peace

Rowbi

by hduk on 2010-12-17 07:54:34

"dude, thanks for the reply, BUT it is a reply from Line6 that i'm after.... not more and more troubleshooting, enough is enough!!!"

to junk line6 or not to junk line6, that is the question

by TheRealZap on 2010-12-17 07:56:08

the point being, that maybe the problem isn't always a driver issue....

computers can be made up of an infinite amount of parts, making it hard to fix everything...

you read lots about the issue, because you are posting on a support forum... people come here with problems... nature of the beast....

i'm positive that there are many users out there with no issues... far far outweighing those that have issues...

not saying your issues are not important...

but basically if you are going to refuse to troubleshoot, which could not only help you with the issue.. but possibly help identify the root cause and lead to a fix for everyone...

then i think that you will make the wait longer for yourself and possibly everyone...

if you have real issues, and they offer to take the time to help you... and you refuse to try... who are you really hurting?

by hduk on 2010-12-17 08:29:23

Hi zap3nc,but ditto: "dude, thanks for the reply, BUT  it is a reply from Line6 that i'm after.... not more and more  troubleshooting, enough is enough!!!"

*** to junk line6 or not to junk line6, that is the question ****

btw, no other soundcard used on my laptop has any problem - it's just this line6 ux2 which line6 need to fix the drivers for or discontinue support for - or ideally provide some linux open source drivers so we can fix ourselves

RE: win7, UX2 clicks and pops, still, with over a year to fix, line6 cannot fix this - WHY????
by Line6david on 2010-12-17 11:47:38

Hi,

For users that are still having problems we have compiled a Trouble Shooting document that has helped many people:

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4282

I also see that you have not filled out a support profile, it would be helpful if you gave us your software/hardware specs so that we can better diagnose the issue:

Processor Type and speed?

32/64bit windows installation?

Ram?

Any other devices connected via USB?

All versions of Line 6 software currently on your system.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by TheRealZap on 2010-12-17 17:06:56

that guy... right there.... the one that says line6 on his name... yeah that dude...

maybe you'll listen to him...

if you don't want it or cant use it... send it to me.

by nenadostojic on 2010-12-18 09:13:55

Do not talk about optimization, other hardware, USB, windows stuff because this is DRIVER issue. I`ve tried everything and just lost my time because they do not know to fix this.

So don`t pay attention to this anymore, it is not worth it, buy something else or use it just as preamp for guitar and with another sound card, because it can`t be used as soundcard under winodws 7 64bit on our platform...

Only thing I didn`t try is to buy separate USB PCI card, but there`s no way I`ll do that, maybe if line6 buy one for me, even then I don`t have place for that card...

by Rowbi on 2010-12-18 09:20:51

As I said earlier, that is not the case.  I have windows 7 64bit, and my ux2 works flawlessly.  Line 6 are prepared to help, but they ask that users with these sort of issues do the troubleshooting first.  Then there is more line 6 can do... This is just getting silly now... You are suggesting that anyone with issues who has spent their hard earned money should try to fix it a little bit then just give up... What a waste of time and money.. No, they should troubleshoot  it using that link David posted earlier.  There are some suggested fixes in there that have actually made it work for some people with the same issue.. That alone proves it's not just a driver issue and that sometimes it can be resolved by making other system tweaks...  Sure I am not saying the drivers are faultless, but your attitude to this process is not helping you or anyone else get this working... It's hindering!

by hduk on 2010-12-18 10:06:49

thanks nenad

it is clear that the line6 ux2 is a mickey mouse soundcard and anyone who is willing to use one with the issues it has must be mad - imagine having the best vocalist and/or guitarist in your studio, would you reach for the UX2? yikes - no way jose, so it is best to junk it, however, i paid good money for the ux2, but my inbuilt laptop soundcard is better than the ux2, shameful

most of my frustration is due to total ignorance by line6 support in fixing this issue and is making me think of junking line6 for all the products i have

All I want is for Line6 to take this like a real pro company and admit its crap to it's users - even recall the damn cards - all the fun and games in optimise this and optimise that is rubbish - this ain't MS-DOS ffs

rowbi, can you record in 24bit with no zero nana ziltch clicks or pops - are you using a laptop?

by hduk on 2010-12-18 10:11:33

rowbi, if it was flawless, we would not be having this conversation!!!

the ux2 is just too dangerous to use safely

btw: it is easier for me to go out and buy a new soundcard than jump through hoops changing my machine to suit line6 latest whim of a fix

until i do, i want line6 to fix the drivers for the ux2

by nenadostojic on 2010-12-18 10:22:09

I bought it while I was on WinXp, and one year ago switched to win 7 and since then I can`t use toneport ux1 as soundcard because of this issue. So, I lost my time and nerves trying to fix this and it didn`t help.

So I suggest to anyone that bought it now and have same problem, that you do not try to fix it like I did and hope that it will work good one day in few months, years. If I was on win 7 and bought this device right now, I would have returned it right away, now I made lot of presents and used to playing guitar on it, so it is hard to change to something else, that`s only reason I didn`t put away this device. When you buy something like this and you have to spend days, weeks to make it work, even if you manage to fix it, it is not worth it...

Even if it this is not line6 problem it happens on many platforms with Windows7. So, they should alert people that it is not 100% compatible with windows 7...

by Rowbi on 2010-12-18 10:23:21

I am not going to respond to this thread anymore, as I feel you are deliberately misunderstanding what I have said... Point in fact, I said it works flawlessly on my system.. I never said the ux2 was flawless, nor that the drivers are..  I honestly hope you get it working... But alas I fear without you being willing to do anything towards trying to troubleshoot it, you will be disappointed.  Rowbi

by nenadostojic on 2010-12-18 10:32:57

Hehe, you misunderstood me, after year of trying(support ticket, threads, optimizatons...) and hoping that it will work, you say that I am not willing to solve this ... I will not try anything else, and I suggest that to others with same problem...

This is line6 problem and they should do troubleshooting before selling this and saying that it is compatible with windows 7. They left that part for users...

by silverhead on 2010-12-18 10:43:02

Not that this will help........... but Rowbi was not talking to you in his last post......... it was addressed to hduk.

In any case, it seems both of you have decided to abandon your UX. That's fine - good luck with whatever equipment you choose next.

by hduk on 2010-12-18 10:46:54

rowbi, i am sick of troubleshooting a crap card, i've had the card a couple of years now and know what it is capable of, i just ain't got the patience as line6 keeps pissing us about and not fixing it, or owning up

as for troubleshooting the card, i could not think of anything worse to do with my time (again have suffered with this problem for absolutely yonks now and have already tried everything suggested - twas a complete waste of time and you're suggestion to keep troubleshooting makes me wanna scream!!!!)

i would rather wear a straight jacket and attempt the worlds longest drool record than try and troubleshoot any line6 device ever again

line6 troubleshooting - aaaarrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by hduk on 2010-12-18 10:49:03

silverhead - not at all - all i want is a line6 response if they will fix it or let its users continue to suffer

by Line6Tony on 2010-12-22 09:00:49

Hduk,

We’re sorry to see that you’ve experienced undesired audio performance from your computer system, even while using the improved driver that has worked on numerous Windows systems.

As you may know, almost every personal computer is a unique hardware and software environment. If one or more variables, including a given device driver, in the system don’t interact well with the rest of the system, the result can be undesired performance. Thus, we have provided a USB Audio Issues FAQ that describes what configuration variables numerous users have identified as the root cause of their audio issues.

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4282

class="MsoNormal">

To help users understand the nature of USB audio issues, we begin the FAQ with the following:

“It should be noted that the complicated interaction of hardware and software on differently configured systems will produce different results, including failure with a small number of computers, regardless of device or manufacturer. The successful use of the USB audio hardware on another computer usually indicates that a problem with the original system needs to be addressed. There is no one-size-fits-all resolution to ensure error-free performance of audio devices on computers, but most USB interrupts can be resolved by one or all of these actions that we have seen help other users…”

We are confident that most audio interface manufacturers will not argue against that statement. Our research of their web site’s support pages has revealed that the suggestions in our FAQ have worked for their users as well.

We strongly suggest that you try all of the suggestions in the FAQ, including BIOS changes and/or a hard drive reformat. As difficult as those procedures may be, they are among the methods that have proven to help many other users correct their system problems. Until you do so, the possibility of your system’s configuration being the root cause of the issue exists.

by predshreds on 2011-01-13 17:38:02

I mean we could go on and on about this topic and certainly you gonna defend your company with some lame suggestions. i have 3 line 6 cards toneport ux2 and ux1 gold. They have worked kind a ok in XP but they do not work fine under windows 7 and that is period. For your information I have had switch from Windows 7 to XP on same computer and dont have problems. when i tried again on same computer under Windows 7 i got clicks and pops. So can you explain that???????? You guys have major issues with compatibility under Windows 7 and as far as I can see you gonna lose lots of customers old one and new one. So instead offering solutions like optimizing you better offer new drivers that are compatible with windows 7. I am never gonna buy again any of your products and that is period. You are simply not professional enough. Sorry i did not mean to be harsh but it has been over 3 Years and you have not done anything to fix this mess. Blaming on users and computer configurations and so on. my computer tells me that your drivers are not compatible and I have tried everything.

what I have discovered recently is that Microsoft is offering virtual XP platform to over bridge incompatibility and that cost around 80 $. So please tell me reason why i should invest another 80 $

to keep using your product. i will simpley switch to some better company.

Sincerely

Pred

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.