These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How to connect a POD HD 500 to a Marshall MG 100 DFX
by aeugle on 2010-12-23 00:21:49

hello support team hello community

I have a problem / question,

I bought a HD 500 and it is areally cool device. The sounds are very nice if I use the HD 500 with a headphone. My amp is a Marshall 100 DFX. If I connect the HD500 in any way to the amp the sounds especially the clean ones are not good.

Do you have any experience with this combination?

What is your advice regarding connection?

HD500 -> Marshall: Clean channel -> Output setting: Combo front?

HD500 -> Marshall: Effect loop in -> Output setting: Combo power amp?

HD500 -> Marshall: Clean channel -> Output setting: studio

HD500 -> Marshall: Effect loop in -> Output setting: studio

Shall i use any cabinet simulation or turn this off?

Regards and thanks in advance

Thomas

Re: How to connect a POD HD 500 to a Marshall MG 100 DFX
by Rowbi on 2010-12-23 00:35:22

obviously different amps sound different, so some amps may reproduce the HD500#s tones better than others.

I would suggest you may get the best results using one of the following, in my order of preference.

HD500 -> Marshall: Effect loop in -> Output setting: Combo power amp

HD500 -> Marshall: MP3/CD input -> Output setting: studio

HD500 -> Marshall: Effect loop in -> Output setting: studio

also try the full and preamp tones.  my head is telling me that the full tones would be best, but just try the preamp ones. you may find something you like.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-23 00:38:09

Hi

I have just looked up the specification on your amp.  It appears to have a parallel FX loop which in itself isn't suitable but with Marshall amps, this often means that the loop has a control pot that when turned up to 100% makes it a serial FX loop.  If this is the case with your amp, then i would recommend feeding the output from one of the 1/4" outputs on your HD500 into the FX loop return, turn the mix control for the FX loop all the way up and set the output mode on the HD500 to Combo Pwr Amp.

Marshall amps already have a very distinctive tone of their own and this can either work for you or against you when using any POD in my experience, so you may have to experiment a little more than you would if going straight to PA.

Your amp's tone controls should have no bearing at this stage on how the amp's tone is, but knowing Marshall (I have four different Marshall amps and one of them is set up in such a way as the tone stack does affect the tone of whatever is fed in via it's FX return) the tone stack controls might affect the amp's tone, in which case you should try to set everything as neutrally as possible by having all tone controls set to about 50% on the amp

Make sure the Amp/Line switch to the left of the expression pedal on the HD500 is set to Line.

You might find that using PRE amp models in the HD500 will give you better results.  Experiment too with turning off cab modelling in the POD on a per preset basis.  Experiment with adjusting the type of Mic on the cab model in the POD and also adjust the ER control

IF the FX loop method above doesn't work, then you have to use the main guitar input.

Set all tone controls on the amp to 50% as a starting point, set the Amp/Line switch on the POD to Amp, set the POD output mode to Combo Front, and set the amp to the cleanest channel with its gain control set to the cleanest setting it can manage.

Make sure the POD is running the latest firmware version 1.1.

Regards

Nick

by aeugle on 2010-12-23 00:38:21

Thanks a lot. Shall I use any cabinet simulations or better not?

by Rowbi on 2010-12-23 00:42:41

aeugle wrote:

Thanks a lot. Shall I use any cabinet simulations or better not?

try with and without. there are no hard and fast rules of doing it one way will sound great in all circumstances... as Nick said: sometimes apms can work with you or against you, so you have to change how you use your POD to get the best out of it.  thankfully line 6 have given us lots of options so that we can sulpt the tone in lots of ways so with a little time and effort you should be able to get some good results.

by aeugle on 2010-12-23 00:55:38

Thanks a lot for your tips. I will do some experiments.Your tip with the effect loop mix  is correct.

Thansk a lot thomas

by sandman69 on 2010-12-23 10:26:57

I have used my HD500 with my Marshall TSL100 head some.  I believe they are configured similiarly in regard to loops.

You should definitely plug into the effects return.

None of the controls for any of the amp's channel will change anything with the tone, since they are all preamp controls.

On mine the only thing that is used is the FX Mix for that effects loop.  It becomes the amps volume in this configuration.

I turn it up just a little to get volume at home, and if I put Mix all the way to max my houses windows start shaking! 

Also, on mine I think I had to plug a cable plug into the effects send to get it to function.  Though that was a week ago so I will have to check when I get home to be certain.  Seemed to be some sort of bypass if nothing is inserted into it.  It was just a 4" patch cable with nothing connected to the other end.

This is one reason I am going with a Rack poweramp to use to push the speakers.  Seems like a waste to use the Marshall for this.

Anyway, I plan on selling it and put some funds together to get a new Variax!!!

by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-31 21:29:18

This is what im dealing right now! i cant make sound right. I dont want to give up getting the right tone but is frustating me! Someone help me out please

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.