These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

CD/MP3 Input - Volume to Low
by AZGdude on 2010-12-28 13:47:14

Anyone else finding the CD/MP3 Input is not sensitive enough with most devices? I have tried my HD 500 with a iPod Touch, iPod Nano and a Motorola Droid X phone (all turned up to max volume), and the output volume with all of them is much lower than the guitar output volume. I have found that I have to keep the Master volume on the HD 500 at less than 50% or I can not hear the backing track. I am wondering if others are having the same issue and if this is something that could be fixed in a firmware up?

RE: CD/MP3 Input - Volume to Low
by Kneehow on 2010-12-28 15:52:22

Hi,

Oddly enough, Line6Hugo and I just tested the office HD500 and found the... opposite!

His Motorola phone was streaming a .mp3 track (which was a more recent recording mastered pretty hot, signal-wise), but at full volume on his phone we found that we had to actually raise the Master Volume and even increase the Amp Model output volume value up to balance the live guitar input signal that he was jamming along to the recording.

Have you tried re-flashing your HD500? Try it and see if you notice a change. Also, keep in mind that there's other variable that your setup and ours have: the 1/8" cable into the mp3 input jack, the actual music signal level, the phones/devices.

Try a reflash and let us know if anything changed in the outputs.

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: CD/MP3 Input - Volume to Low
by FrozenOzone on 2010-12-28 17:56:09

L6Perry,  I have the same comment as AZGdude that the cd/mp3 input is low.  I have an Itouch, Ipad, Iphone, eris and use USB. I am not saying it's some kind of flaw because the USB sound level is about equal to the output sound level of the cd/mp3 output.

For a work around I have been importing the mp3 into Audacity (Freeware) and bumping the track output level about +4db and re-saving the mp3 and naming it to something like HD500 - song name.mp3.  Hope that helps.

Re: RE: CD/MP3 Input - Volume to Low
by AZGdude on 2011-01-03 10:40:18

Ok, I finally had a chance to do as suggested and reinstall the firmware update and I still have the exact same results. I have now tried 2 different generation iPod Nano's, iPod Touch, iPhone and Motorola Droid X with a bunch of different songs and a number of different patches. And in all cases I had to lower the Master output volume on my HD 500 to around 50% to get the levels anywhere close. Unless there is something wrong with my HD 500, this is a bug that needs fixed. Really makes the CD/MP3 unenjoyable to use.

Re: CD/MP3 Input - Volume to Low
by stellapetrarca on 2011-01-04 01:44:36

In general, I think POD HD500 lack of input level control for every input sources and also a clip led.

by Rowbi on 2011-01-04 02:10:04

i think the input on the POD is a line level input.  this is a standard type of input.

the output on most phones is a headphone output, and connecting headphone output to a line level input may not sound great.

I tested with my iphone 4, and the headphone output of my iphone into my HD400 wasn't very loud, but I thought it was ok... with the phone at max volume.... BUT I bought an iphone/ipod adapter (which you plug into the iphone charge/sync port) and that gives you the same connection as a heaphone, but it's line level... that's louder into the POD and works very well.... the iphone/ipod universal dock has a line output on it too, if you have one of those... try it, and you'll see.

by soadman on 2011-01-04 08:41:24

I use mine with a Rockit 8...sounds amazing and it's a powered speaker....you can turn it up to waaaay too loud......almost could play a small bar...could run 2 of em' left and right..would be more than enough for a small bar.

by DropTheSun on 2011-01-04 12:14:05

I have HD300 and i use CD/MP3 input almost everyday with my iPhone 3Gs. I connect my iPhone from the Headphone output to my HD300's CD/MP3 input and i haven't got any Low volume issues. My iPhones volume isn't even turned over the top. I play through Headphones/Speakers, both works great.

There might be hardware/software flaw in your HD500? But i got two things, that you should check:

1. Have you tried differend cord between iPhone and HD500?

2. In iPod's settings -> Go to iPOD settings and Check that your "Volume Limit" is set OFF

Do you have a change to test other HD500?

Hope you get your HD500 work properly.

by AZGdude on 2011-01-04 13:12:19

I checked everything mentioned (cables, volume limits) and it is none of them. The problem is simply that the MP3 input on my HD 500, and others from the comments in this thread, is not sensitive enough. How Line 6 did not get this to work properly from the start is a little hard for me to comprehend. Almost everyone has an iPod of some sort and would logically assume that plugging their iPod directly into the MP3 input should work great. It does not, which is very frustrating to me since I planned on using it all the time for jamming to backing tracks.

by AZGdude on 2011-01-05 12:54:11

Is this a problem with all HD 500's? I am not sure if I should return mine as defective?

AZGdude wrote:

I checked everything mentioned (cables, volume limits) and it is none of them. The problem is simply that the MP3 input on my HD 500, and others from the comments in this thread, is not sensitive enough. How Line 6 did not get this to work properly from the start is a little hard for me to comprehend. Almost everyone has an iPod of some sort and would logically assume that plugging their iPod directly into the MP3 input should work great. It does not, which is very frustrating to me since I planned on using it all the time for jamming to backing tracks.

by FrozenOzone on 2011-01-05 16:00:30

I don't know if it's a problem with the HD500's.  The other 2 users that commented are on a 300 and 400 and they don't have this problem?  I have tried everything and I have a pretty good setup. I am running into a 1500w power amp into a 4x12 cab. I also run direct into a powered 100w PA speaker when I am at home. IMO all outputs on the HD500 unit are low. Hope you can get it figured out.

by mapex7066 on 2011-04-09 06:29:37

What are you talking about to low?  You mean too low?  Lets start there.

by eanavrint on 2012-11-14 05:59:10

If you are using 1/4" out , select "line" instead of "amp" option. Overall volume will be louder

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.