These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Noise in Record Out - Spider IV 15
by trammapoline on 2010-12-30 01:54:59

Hello.

I'm liking the sounds out of the Spider IV 15, but am unable to record direct because of a loud, persistent noise from the record out port.  This is present even when the amp is not turned on - just plugged in to power supply.  Its pitch is roughly that of the D on 2nd string, and is at least as loud as the actual sound from the guitar at normal recording level.  It is almost independent of volume levels.  I've tried a couple of different power outlets, but no difference.  I noticed it first when plugging into my computer, but read in the forum that this is often problematic because of the mismatched signal levels for mic vs line-in, but I've also checked it with recording interfaces including the M-Audio FastTrack and get the same, which also means I can't use the record out to send to a mixing desk.

Is this an earthing problem, perhaps? If it's a fault with the amp, it's still under warranty, but if not, does anybody have other solutions to try?

Thanks,

Cameron

Re: Noise in Record Out - Spider IV 15
by trammapoline on 2010-12-30 02:10:32

Ah, I just found the answer here: http://line6.com/community/message/151247#151247

Theproblem is indeed a ground loop.  I was running the FastTrack via USB from a computer with the same earthing as the amp; when I run the laptop on battery, no problem.  Massively relieved!  (I also tried a mic/guitar pre-amp as the intermediary, but I guess its impedence wasn't ideal, and maybe its lack of earthing was also an issue)  There is still a slight bit of noise, but it's only the low-level stuff I'd expect from most amps.

Just one short suggestion, though: if your search didn't default to searching documents only, it would be rather quicker to find stuff

Cheers,

Cameron

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.