These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD 400 Distorting Through PA
by KirkNewm on 2010-12-31 15:06:28

So, I noticed everytime I plug in my HD 400 through a PA or computer speakers, all of my tones clip when I turn the master volume up a little past 12 o'clock. Any louder and it just clips horribly...I have to turn it down just a tad or the clipping is just too much. I also noticed this happens when I plug in to my computer speakers, once the little master volume knob on the back goes past 12 o'clock I get clipping. And I tried this on multiple PAs and speakers, same results. And normally the PAs I used would work fine with my Pod X3, and I could turn up the master volume and get plenty loud. With the HD I am constantly fighting for volume.

I've tried every type of configuration with the XLR and 1/4" outputs, live/amp switches, pretty much everything I can think of.

And on that note, I get no problems when running through my power amp and cabinet. But I'd still like to be able to go direct through a PA if I have to without any clipping problems.

Any ideas?

Re: Pod HD 400 Distorting Through PA
by drschultz on 2011-01-01 09:41:48

I've had no clipping issues with my HD400.  I have mine connected via USB to my laptop and am able to record just fine.  If  you are connecting via your audio card (line in) the signal from the HD maaybe too much.  The way I have my setup is:  USB from POD to Laptop and Speakers are connected to the headphone jack of the POD.  You have to remember that most sound cards on PCs are not professional grade and cannot handle much more than a talking voice and medium level.  Note that you should be using the channel volume and EQ to balance you sound.  I have only touched the master volume twice.

I have not hooked it up to a PA yet so I can't answwer that.  I guess the real question would be:  Is the volume, without clipping, good enough?  How does it sound with the master below 12 o'clock and the volume bumped up on the PA.  I look at sound volumes as a push/pull relationship.  If you push the sound too much you clip, if you pull too much you get buzzing and humming.  You have to find common ground.

I hope this is helpful.

-Dan

by KirkNewm on 2011-01-01 12:13:08

Thanks for the reply!

Recording isn't a problem, because I can monitor with headphones and don't need a whole lot of volume. And if in any case I do, I just turn up my computer speakers. I record with the 1/4" outputs into a Firewire interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro).

The biggest problem is live through the PA. The volume is NOT good enough unless I'm clipping. In order to get a clean signal, I have to be really quiet. And the PA has to get pushed super hard in order to compensate. The PA I used at practice was maxed out and we still couldn't get me loud enough without me having to bump up the Pod volume a little bit and clipping. When I used my Pod X3 on the same PA, they wouldn't even have to turn me up all the way on the PA's volume, and I had plenty of volume on tap just with the master volume on the X3.

And with live use the master volume is pretty crucial, I have the levels set between all of my patches so clean/crunch/lead tones are all even, if I was to just adjust things with the channel volume I'd end up having to do that everytime I switched patches...which would be impossible mid-song. At sound check it's easiest just to go to a reference tone, sound check my levels with the master volume knob, and be confident that the rest of my tones will be even.

by Pstrat on 2011-01-01 21:11:13

I can only guess, that maybe your setting your patch levels wrong.  I'd say copy a patch to blank preset.  Than hook up your Computer speakers etc..then adjust the levels of the test patch play with the mixer levels etc..  Your poweramp patches will not translate as well to DI and vice versa. 

In the User manual it advises keeping your master level very high in order to avoid this bad distortion. 

by JB1973 on 2011-01-12 18:46:55

I am tagging on this so i will see any updates

I have a hd500 and have had horrible results except for cleans through my PA, I was attempting to use my patches

I use through the dt50, but with full sims, cabs etc ..but like you were saying very distorted

by silverhead on 2011-01-12 19:01:35

KirkNewm wrote:

...... I get no problems when running through my power amp and cabinet. But I'd still like to be able to go direct through a PA if I have to without any clipping problems....

And in your second post you say........

I have the levels set between all of my patches so clean/crunch/lead  tones are all even, if I was to just adjust things with the channel  volume I'd end up having to do that everytime I switched patches

... which makes me wonder........ Is it possible that you have all your channel volumes set relatively low and your power amp volume quite high? That would deliver a good loud volume when you play through your amp but perhaps deliver a not-so-good volume to your PA amp, requiring the HD400 Master Volume to be raised to the point where things start clipping before the guitar tone actually comes through loud enough.

I'm not even sure that the above makes sense - but one thing you could try as a test is to connect to your PA, raise the channel volume rather than Master Volume on your HD400, and see what happens. Also, make sure you have the Output Mode and the rear panel switches on your HD400 set appropriately for output to PA rather than amp.

If it works, then yes - you would have to adjust the Channel VOlume of each of your patches (but only once!) and then turn down your power amp volume when using your amp.

by FrozenOzone on 2011-01-12 19:53:43

KirkNewm wrote:

So, I noticed everytime I plug in my HD 400 through a PA or computer speakers, all of my tones clip when I turn the master volume up a little past 12 o'clock. Any louder and it just clips horribly...I have to turn it down just a tad or the clipping is just too much.

And on that note, I get no problems when running through my power amp and cabinet. But I'd still like to be able to go direct through a PA if I have to without any clipping problems.

Any ideas?

KirkNewm,

I have a HD500 but I had the exact same problem with my setup. Here is how I fixed my problem.

Set your Amp volumes at 50% or lower.

Now set your master volume. (I have mine at 70% on the outer dial)  Remember your master dial setting.  (This will be a huge help for your sound guy if you play live.)

Now dial in your patches.

So far this has fixed my clipping problems.

This might be a HD500 thing.

Set your channel mix to center on both A and B and level to 0.0db. (I adjust the channel volume not the master or Amp volumes.)

by meambobbo on 2011-01-12 20:39:53

I have experienced something sort of similar, so I might as well post it here in case it helps.  I found that I was getting distortion, mostly when running Studio/Direct mode (even if using "no cab" - I'm using a HD500), but I discovered that it must have been my audio interface (M Audio Firewire Solo).  Nonetheless, I did notice that the distortion occurred at a lower overall volume level if I boosted the signal by using the amp's volume knob, as opposed to boosting via the FX Loop or the Master knob.  Also, it was mainly the bass that would distort, usually on palm mutes for a high gain patch with lots of bass.

Try running a patch cable connecting the FX Loop send directly to the FX Loop return, and boost the send level.  See if this pushes your PA into clipping territory, as boosting amp volume level would.  Also as has already been said, see if you turn down the amp volume and turn up the master if you get the distortion at the same volume level as if you turn down the master and boost the amp volume.  Finally, boosting via the Pod's mixer also did not cause the distortion as the amp volume knob would.  You can get +12 db via the mixer and +12 db via the FX Loop.  Doing that and maxing out the master knob should get you to a good volume level, hopefully without clipping the PA.

Please let us know your results - it'd be very helpful to know if certain methods of boosting volume are more prone to introducing distortion into the tone than others and to see what Line 6 has to say about this.  The Pilot's Handbook is very clear that the amp volume knob is intended to alter volume without altering tone whatsoever.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-12 22:26:16

First of all let me correct what I put above.  You don't want to change the send level of your FX loop, you'd want to boost your return.  And you can boost all the way to +24 db.

I just did some tests, however, and it seems like the FX Loop sucks out a little bass.  So when I was getting distortion on bass heavy tones, it was less so using the FX loop to boost, because it simply wasn't boosting as much, even though I thought it was.

Now that I have a proper setup, it seems like the master and amp volume knobs function virtually identically.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.