These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Monkey not supporting JTV-89 yet? Workbench won't recognize.
by snrphnx on 2011-01-07 08:39:46

I received my new JTV-89 yesterday, great guitar btw, but workbench won't recognize it. I am assuming this is due to Monkey 1.34 not supporting JTVs yet, noticed in notes it was out in Sept. and added support for HD series. Please advise asap. Need to transfer custom models from old 700 to new JTV89 so I can begin using new axe in proper fashion! Awesome work guys but you need to integrate JTV back into Line 6 fold. Tyler internet tools and info leave much to be deisired.

RE: Monkey not supporting JTV-89 yet? Workbench won't recognize.
by ricksox on 2011-01-17 15:49:46

Hello,

Workbench version 1.70 should absolutely see the JTV 89 as well as Monkey.

Are you sure you are running all of the latest versions of the software?

Monkey is up to 1.34 and Workbench is up to 1.70. Both can be downloaded from http://line6.com/software/.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Monkey not supporting JTV-89 yet? Workbench won't recognize.
by snrphnx on 2011-01-17 18:18:48

After further trials, it appears to be the USB interface hub that shipped with my JTV-89 that is defective (or beyond my mortal comprehension). When connected to my JTV, the light on the guitar stayed red. Upon connecting through my Pod XT Live, everything worked as it should, Workbench and Monkey saw my new Variax and updated its firmware and all compnents. Please advise on what I should do to get a working USB inferface hub. I'm good for now, but would like to have a working one in case I should need it in the future.

Re: RE: Monkey not supporting JTV-89 yet? Workbench won't recognize.
by MerlinFL on 2011-01-17 22:46:07

snrphnx wrote:

After further trials, it appears to be the USB interface hub that shipped with my JTV-89 that is defective (or beyond my mortal comprehension). When connected to my JTV, the light on the guitar stayed red. Upon connecting through my Pod XT Live, everything worked as it should, Workbench and Monkey saw my new Variax and updated its firmware and all compnents. Please advise on what I should do to get a working USB inferface hub. I'm good for now, but would like to have a working one in case I should need it in the future.

Two things you NEED to make certain are set correctly before anything will happen with that "dongle".  you said once you connected it, to your XT that the side with the guitar on it stayed RED, you MUST turn ON the modeling on the guitar otherwise it will never work.

Second, you aren't really supposed to use the interface dongle between your device and th guitar. That dongle is USB to VDI/RJ45 connection which goes directly into your computer, then you also need to plug in a power supply from the old style A/B/Power supply box that came with every Vax from 300 through 700 into the 1/4" jack with the TRS power supply cable.  No Variax will run from the USB connection inot the guitar without a power supply TRS cable connected.

What you could do is use a VDI cable from your XT to the JTV, then simply plug your XT into your computer.  Then launch monkey with your XT one and the model bank knob LIT UP red or blue - it doesn't matter - and then Monkey should recognize the guitar and ASK YOU which item you wish to deal with through Monkey.  Also if you get this to work properly, the website will ask you to register, just pass on that and click on "later" and you can proceed from there.  YOU MUST have the UPDATES nstalled and working for your XT BEFORE any of the this can occur through the XT.

I hope this helps and answer EVERYONE's question including your about how this stuff is supposed to work together.

Take care,

Neal

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.