These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Strings / Keys & Misc Effects
by nathansouder on 2009-04-17 08:09:49

Does anyone know how to get good strings or keys sounding effects out of the x3 live?  I tried the one strings effect and it doesn't sound good.  I want to sound more like a violin.  As far as keys go, it would be nice to have an effect that comes close so that some keys riffs could be incorporated into lead parts.  As a general note, I really haven't found any use in any of these effects, and any comments on how you use them would be much appreciated! :

76. L6 Clean Sweep
77. L6 Seizmik Synth
78. L6 Double Bass
79. L6 Buzz Wave
80. L6 Rez Synth
81. L6 Saturn 5 Ring Mod
82. L6 Synth FX
83. L6 Synth Harmony
90. L6 Hi-Talk
91. L6 Sweeper
92. L6 POD Purple X
93. L6 Random Sample and Hold
94. L6 Tape Eater
95. L6 Warble-matic

Re: Strings / Keys & Misc Effects
by hogiewan on 2009-04-17 09:20:08

you'll need a quick volume swell to mimic a bowed instrument, but you'll never get a violin sound out of a guitar.  Take a look at togaman's guitarviols.  Pricey, but amazing instruments

by ricksox on 2009-04-17 12:08:16

Hi,

I'm not sure if you'll be able to accomplish those types of sounds with the X3 Live. I think what you may want to look into is something like an Ebow.

http://www.e-bow.com/

Line6Miller

by hogiewan on 2009-04-17 13:46:23

Line6Miller wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure if you'll be able to accomplish those types of sounds with the X3 Live. I think what you may want to look into is something like an Ebow.

http://www.e-bow.com/

Line6Miller

the ebow is dependant on it's interaction with magnetic pickups, so you can't get those violin sounds on a variax.  I just found that out the hard way and sent one back to Sweetwater.

by TheRealZap on 2009-04-17 14:28:25

good tibbit!

by ricksox on 2009-04-17 16:58:02

Indeed. Thanks for that!!!

Line6Miller

by aaron__aardvark on 2009-04-17 22:36:38

hogiewan,

I don't own a Variax, but I do own an E-bow.  My E-bow will get my guitar strings to oscillate even when the E-bow is more than a foot away from my pick-ups.  You're telling me the strings won't oscillate at all with an E-bow & a Variax?  If the strings oscillate, don't they produce any sound?  The first time I got an E-bow (for Christmas), it was defective & wouldn't work at all.  My wife wife took it back to Guitar Center & they said, "Oh, we must have given you the broken one."  HUHHHHHH!!!!!?   Edit: I just hauled out a new guitar string (I did not install the string in my guitar).  I put the string under tension & put the E-bow up to the string.  NOTHING HAPPENED!!!  I tried the same experiment while holding a magnet next to the guitar string & it still didn't oscillate.  How does this E-bow thing work?

by hogiewan on 2009-04-18 10:09:02

You do have to put a battery in it and turn it on (just checking that you know that.

The eBow will make the variax strings occillate, but it gets dramatically louder right over a magnetic pickup and that's what allows you to mimic a violin/cello sound.  You can get the infinate sustain and the reversed recoding sound quite easily, but it's near impossible to get the quick swell necessary for a bowed impression.

by aaron__aardvark on 2009-04-18 22:23:31

hogie,

I kept checking to see if my E-Bow works with my guitar & it does.  It just seems that the string doesn't want to oscillate unless it's installed in a guitar, regardless that it's under tension & has a magnet (or not) near it.

by hogiewan on 2009-04-19 09:33:55

It does make the string ocillate and it makes noise, just not the same as you would get with a mag pup.  Try it on an acoustic and you'll see what I mean

by Hey_Joe on 2009-04-20 17:01:33

You guys got me going on an EBow...I have a bad case of Spring Fever G.A.S. and I was reading this thread this morning and on my way home from an errand this morning I drove by the GuitarCenter 2miles from my house and I just had to turn into the lot and soon found myself walking out the door with an Ebow.

I'm not sure I can make a decision to keep it yet based on a few hours of playing with it. I tried my Variax and sure enough no magnetic pick up gives no bowed sounds... but I have been trying it on a strat and an Ibanez with HBs and it would seem that an awful lot of technique goes into the mastery of this little gizmo...as an effects junkie I want it for my arsenal - but as for realy being able to even play a scale across all 6 strings...well, does it really work good enough? or is it for just one string solos and general kookie/cool/weird sounds of sustain and feedback...I have been listening to the Flash audio lessons from their web site (a mini disk of the same comes in the box) and I think the guy doing it got one when they first came out in 1976 and has mastered it...Being able to use it to play Eleanor Rigby and When I'm 64 is cool but I do have a GR-20 for making my guitar play flute sounds...

If my wife doesn't kill me, for submitting to G.A.S., - - - should I keep it and do the technique learning curve even though it's only partially usable with a Variax or just go get my $ back and save up for a sustainer or sustianic?

by hogiewan on 2009-04-21 04:23:59

You can play it across all the strings with a little practice, but I would suggest starting with just one.  It is a whole different techinique for a whole different sound, so it will take some time to get the hang of it

by Hey_Joe on 2009-04-21 06:13:21

It is really hard to get going on the high E string...did you find that too?

by hogiewan on 2009-04-21 07:01:05

yeah - try letting the guide that's of the strings sit closer to the guitar body to let the drive channel sit closer to the string.  Practice with the middle four strings first to get the hang of the guide channels

by Hey_Joe on 2009-04-21 08:21:50

During the first day and night of playing with it, I can get those strings to glide in the guide pretty well, and those strings light right up with the electromagnetic thing...I'll try your tip out today.

Like the instructions point out a humbucker works better than a single coil...I have tried it on 4 guitars and one of my Variaxes.

thanks hogiewan.

by kdguitar61 on 2011-07-23 00:55:13

i was wanting to hear some of these, as i dont have the x3 YET....     

could someone demo a couple of these for me? i was wanting to hear, mainly, the Pod Purple X (i hear it can do a Star Wars pod racer impression) and the tape eater. and also the bubble eko.

by Bluestone on 2011-07-25 13:29:57

Please check out any Phil Keaggy vids..but this one is a good starting point for what amazing stuff this guy can do with an ebow..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwq0i6jP7dQ

OM

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.