These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Harmonizer/Pitch shifting with Pod HD
by mikedbb on 2011-01-12 14:08:22

Hi, I was wondering if someone could answer me this?

I've read that the Pod HD series have a harmonizer and pitch shifter effect.

Without playing in a particular key can you set it for instance for 3 semi tones up or down?

So no matter what fret you're holding the Pod will produce the note 3 frets/semi tones up regardless of the key

Sorry for my ignorance with this issue.

Help would be great!

Cheers!

Re: Harmonizer/Pitch shifting with Pod HD
by phil_m on 2011-01-12 14:20:17

You could do that with the Pitch Glide effect.  The Smart Harmony always will adjust the harmony per a scale, so to shift at a consistent interval, you'd want the "dumbness" of the Pitch Glide.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-12 14:22:04

Smart Harmony is always relative to a key.  But you could use Pitch Glide to set a constant pitch difference

by mikedbb on 2011-01-12 14:50:09

Cool so then I can mix my wet and dry together with that right? Thus creating a dual lead sound.

I already own a Pod XT live which I really love for home recording so I'm not be obtuse when I say "will it actually sound decent using quite high gain?"

I use select series jacksons through randall heads and have been playin for 15 years, I recently bought a dedicated harmony/pitch shift pedal for half the price of the HD400 and the tracking of the notes etc was pretty poor. I know from experience Line 6 FX are rock solid so I would be buying this board for this function alone really

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-12 15:08:41

Yes - you can mix normal and pitch shifted.  You can place the effect in one of the stereo paths, mix the effect to 100% and levae the other stereo path with no effect so you can effectively pan the signal left and right with the pitch shifted tone coming say out of the left channel and the normal tone coming out of the right - if you want to of course

by mikedbb on 2011-01-13 10:11:17

Wow thats cool! Sorry to bombard you questions but is that function available on all the HD models?

And obviously you are referring to a studio setup, using that live there would have to be a stereo output and I'd be using a normal stack so I would just mix the wet and dry as normal.

I'm looking forward to testing one out!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-13 10:29:30

No - just on the HD500 because that's the only one that supports two separate signal chains

Nick

by mikedbb on 2011-01-13 10:35:02

Oh yeah I did see that yes but even with that you'd still need the stereo output to get the full benefit right?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-13 10:38:30

Yes - that's right

by mikedbb on 2011-01-13 10:47:25

You been a great help cheers!

by desso on 2011-01-13 11:03:15
If I were to play in a live situation (I just play in my studio), with the HD500, I would absolutely run stereo into 2 power amps/cabs if at all possible.  Of course keeping in mind positioning for the audience's ears.  I love the stereo effects.  I also love 2 different amps panned L/R.

by mikedbb on 2011-01-13 11:10:57

Yeah its definately something I might do in the sudio, but to be honest if you're recording whats stopping you from laying down 2 guitar tracks instead? ( which is what I do at the moment)

The problem I have is replicating it live with one guitar, we already have a big setup in the band so I cant justify taking around 2 cabs just for 1 solo lol

So on the evidence I might go for the cheaper hd300 as I wouldnt be able to fully utilize the extra options on the 500 in a live situation anyway.

by desso on 2011-01-13 11:43:06
Yeah, the studio environment opens tons of opportunities.  Sometimes I'll lay down numerous takes with effects trails going to opposite sides, of course ping pong delays, stereo reverb trails, etc. Another really good technique is to record two takes (rhythm) playing the exact same setup and trying to play both exactly alike. There will be minute differences that when panned hard L/R will produce a really nice full sound. I think the recording/mixing process takes as much creativity as the actual playing.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-13 12:38:32

desso wrote:

Yeah, the studio environment opens tons of opportunities.  Sometimes I'll lay down numerous takes with effects trails going to opposite sides, of course ping pong delays, stereo reverb trails, etc. Another really good technique is to record two takes (rhythm) playing the exact same setup and trying to play both exactly alike. There will be minute differences that when panned hard L/R will produce a really nice full sound. I think the recording/mixing process takes as much creativity as the actual playing.

That's only part of why double tracking sounds so rich.

You have to think separate takes can't possibly be in phase.  Take an A note at 440 HZ.  Do you really believe you have enough control to make the sound wave start precisely in sync with the one you've already recorded.  No chance.  You might be in rhythm, but you're out of phase.

Playing the two out of phase tracks through the same speaker causes distortion.  So you pan them to avoid this.  But when they meet in the air and in mix in your ears and brain, your brain basically interprets this as a reverberation, and it adds a spacial dimension to the sound .  Yet it has no lingering decay, so its nice and tight.

At least that's my theory.

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-04-19 10:20:11

Can someone get or make a chart of the notes instead of the percentage ei. ( -05%=Eb ) example    that would be greatly appreciated

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.