These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Problems with TRUE independent control over multiple DT50s from HD500
by MerlinFL on 2011-01-12 15:42:00

Here's my rig as set up quickly in my bedroom.  I had to turn the DT50 1x12's on their sides so the handles would not cause the Vetta to rock and be unsafe on top of the amp stack.

Anyway - I have several problem and questions about how the HD500 works with the DT50 amps, but I'll start with this one only first...

WHY is there no TRUE independent control over the amps as stated in all info prior and current?

What I mean is that AMP A overrides AMP B anytime a change is made to amp A.  then I have to go back a reset Amp B to where I had it.  This is NOT how I believe it should work, but I also believe that independent control should be truly independent control.  This is not truly independent even with the latest firmware update to all the DT50s, HD500, and HD EDIT (which is now WORSE than before).

What I'm hoping for is control over amp A and control over amp B without any intereference or "crosstalk" of information as is happening now.  I also would like to know how to SHUT OFF one amp or the other within the POD HD500 without having it default to a throughput into one amp or the other.  I may wish to use that option, but I'd like to have the choice instead of the choice being made for me.

I'll stop here and see what info I get back and hope it might resolve this situation before moving on to my next one - thanks.

Take care,

Neal - Rich R.s Beta Tester for the JTV line of products.

PS - I would very much like to be part of the POD HD and DT50 line of products as a tester.  I firmly believe both groups could benefit from my years of experience performing live with Variax 700 guitars and Vetta amps.

New New Line 6 Gear.jpg

Re: Problems with TRUE independent control over multiple DT50s from HD500
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-12 19:58:24

Take a look at your L6LINK settings on the HD500.

Have you set it for Amp 1 (Amp A channel 1) and Amp 2 (Amp B channel 2)?

You will have complete independent conrol over the DT50s but you need to have your HD500 set correctly.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-12 20:02:35

I'd also suggest this: http://line6.com/community/thread/52049?tstart=0

It's a bit of a primer for people migrating from the Vetta to the HD500 + DT50s.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-12 20:07:07

I forgot to add that when the Amp assignments are correct and set then the HD500 will have full control over the settings on the amp.  When the amps are switched off in the HD500 then they will become active in manual mode (Channel B on the DT50) for each of the amps.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-12 20:18:34

Have you read this?

http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a06434d35a94d264bada4bea/application/pdf/L6LINK%20Connectivity%20Guide%20for%20POD%20HD%20&%20DT50%20%28Rev%20A%29%20-%20English.pdf

Cheers,

Crusty

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-13 01:13:27

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

Take a look at your L6LINK settings on the HD500.

Have you set it for Amp 1 (Amp A channel 1) and Amp 2 (Amp B channel 2)?

You will have complete independent conrol over the DT50s but you need to have your HD500 set correctly.

Cheers,

Crusty

Been there done that Crusty - STILL does not work properly.  This is really a serious isse and it's not how I have done my end of setting and assigning things with the HD500 correctly...it simply does not work as advertised at this time.

Also the update on the 11th made things with HD500 EDIT worse!

I'm hoping I'll come across someone else who has two DT50s set up this way so we can compare results.

Take care,

Neal

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-13 01:18:51

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

I forgot to add that when the Amp assignments are correct and set then the HD500 will have full control over the settings on the amp.  When the amps are switched off in the HD500 then they will become active in manual mode (Channel B on the DT50) for each of the amps.

Cheers,

Crusty

That is not quite correct Crusty - sorry to inform you of this, but alas it is true.

Perhaps it has something to do with the latest updates for both the DT50 line and the POD HD line with HD EDIT.  Not sure what problems or bugs these updates might have resolved, but I know it has made EDIT much worse where it now randomly blows out all the presets I've built.  So each time I make any new change, I save the patch, the bundle, and the set list just to make sure I KEEP my work safe & saved.  Did not have this problem BEFORE the latest update.  I might roll it back until a newer update comes out.

Take care,

Neal

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-13 01:28:21

Hey Neal

Unfortunately, I don't have two DT50's to experiment with myself, but I do know people that have, and they are finding good results just as Crusty has outlined, so I'm not sure what the issues you have are down to.  I'll certainly help you out if I can in any way.

Similarly, quite a few wrinkles have been ironed out in the latest version of HD500 Edit, and whilst it might not immediately appear so, I find it more intuitive and more stable in a number of ways now than the previous version.  Again - if there's anything i can do to assist, just shout.

I think generally, that the HD500 and DT50 plus the JTV have opened up new ways of doing things and sometimes I find myself with a particular routing problem I need to solve or something like that, and I have to force myself to forget how I would have had to solve it with say an X3 Live and within the confines of how you had to do things in a certain way.  With the HD500/DT50 and stepping back to view the bigger picture and applying a bit of lateral thinking has enabled me so far to achieve exactly what I've wanted/needed to do - even if it's a workaround to the way you might normally think about doing the same thing.

Good luck

Regards

Nick

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-13 01:30:45

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

Have you read this?

http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a06434d35a94d264bada4bea/application/pdf/L6LINK%20Connectivity%20Guide%20for%20POD%20HD%20&%20DT50%20%28Rev%20A%29%20-%20English.pdf

Cheers,

Crusty

Had not seen that until now, but it says exactly what I've been doing except that it shows a page 9/9 when there are only 8 pages in that menu.

It also says exactly what I've tried doing with the left/right option or the a/b option.  It does not respond independently UNLESS you set up the first amp first then set up the second amp using TWO DIFFERENT amps and signal paths.  The if you change anything on amp A it changes EVEYTHING instead of ONLY changing amp A as I would conclude that by definition is NOT true independent amp operation.

I'm just writing about my real life trials and results.  I can not help it if the products do not do what it stated they should do.  I can only hope that a Line 6 person will read my troubles and make a suppor ticket for it and then produce a newer and better update.

Take care,

Neal

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 02:54:47

I suspect you have some issue there somewhere.

I can most certainly have a Vox AC30 (Class A, NFL III) on one amp and a Deluxe (Class A/B NFL I) on the other amp when using two amp models.  When the DT50 is doing it's thing the amps are on Channel A.  Switch an amp model off in the HD500 and that amp will flick to Channel B and operate in manual mode.

Works like a charm.

Then for Vetta type usage you craft your tones using the full amp models and set the DT50 settings in Edit to be NFL 1 Class A for all amp models and in the L6LINK assignment set Amp 1 to L and Amp 2 to R for full amp models using post amp effects in stereo.

You might want to double check your firmware versions because something is amiss with your setup.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 03:03:16

MerlinFL wrote:.

I'm just writing about my real life trials and results.  I can not help it if the products do not do what it stated they should do.  I can only hope that a Line 6 person will read my troubles and make a suppor ticket for it and then produce a newer and better update.

Take care,

Neal

I am playing through two DT50s with the HD500 and have totally different amp topology configurations with very real life results.

You definitely have something missing in your equation.

My HD500 is Flash Memory 1.20 and DT50 Flash Memory is 1.20 - I have all the right L6LINK settings pages in my DT50 when connected to the DT50s (chained via L6LINK).

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 03:06:44

MerlinFL wrote:

...it simply does not work as advertised at this time.

Yet my rig most definitely works as advertised and pretty much exceeds anything I could have ever hoped it could do.

The only difference in our rigs is my DT50s are 212s - I have a huge sound happening.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 03:21:10

I should add that because the unit is so easy to edit I hardly touch the Edit software.  I find it quicker to dial in the tones on the device.

I just checked things in Edit and that works fine too.  Edit is v 1.02.

edit_screen.jpg

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 03:31:56

MerlinFL wrote:

I also would like to know how to SHUT OFF one amp or the other within the POD HD500 without having it default to a throughput into one amp or the other.

One way to achieve this is to set Channel B on both amps to silent.  Then when an amp is deselected in the HD500 the corresponding DT50 will activate Channel B and if that is set to be silent (Channel volume to zero) it will switch off that amp.

Gee I've posted a few correct responses to this thread.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 03:38:08

MerlinFL wrote:

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

Cheers,

Crusty

That is not quite correct Crusty - sorry to inform you of this, but alas it is true.

Hey Neal, I am not lying.

It works correctly with my gear.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Vettaville-nl on 2011-01-13 05:21:38

Hi Neal, Sorry to hear of your problems, feel free to send me a patch or two so I can try to replicate and confirm what is happening and hopefully why. I'm working now, but will try to get my both dt50's and pod hd hooked up later. Then I'll get back to you. You're a valued community member to me and would like to help you as you have done others.  Kind regards Hans

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 06:36:17

Good idea, I didn't think to have Neal post his patches to check them to see what's wrong.

Cheers,

Crusty

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-13 10:34:59

I am very touched and pleased to think that both Hans and Crusty are willing to go out of their way to try to figure out why my set up is not working properly.

I'll do what I can to submit a few patches and perhaps this will give you guys who are having no problems with true independent operation figure out if it's me or the gear that is causing my problems?

I'm kinda surprised that it's been  few days and no one from Line 6 officially has chimed in.  Interesting, very interesting.

Thanks again for the offers,

Neal

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-01-13 11:07:32

MerlinFL wrote:

I'm kinda surprised that it's been  few days and no one from Line 6 officially has chimed in.  Interesting, very interesting.

I don't think there's any huge conspiracy. Line 6 try to answer within 48 hours, your original post was 23:40 on the 12th so they easily have till 23:40 tomorrow before they respond.

by Vettaville-nl on 2011-01-13 12:29:23

Neal, I just checked on mine, to be sure after the update.

You're mentioning that the 9/9 menu setup page only has 8/9 pages in yours?

Mine definitively has 9/9 pages. The nineth is the L6 LINK control page where you can set your parameters for your two DT50's

If you're only having 8 pages, please check your firmware on your POD HD500 and resinstall V. 1.20 to see if the one you have now isn't corrupted in some way.

Might be good (I reckon you've done that already, but this may be the, or A cause your system is doing something different.

Hope it's a first way to more fun for you!

Regards

- Hans

by Vettaville-nl on 2011-01-13 13:13:49

I can't play at volume, it's already late here. But I can switch both channels amps on the POD HD500 and see the corresponding topology switch on either DT50 seperatly. Can you do the same and see the topology independently switch?

As a sidenote, I'm in Holland so there's a time timedifference, I'll be hitting my bed soon and tomorrow I first have to work and rehearse for a gig where I'm trying to fill for another player, so I can't miss that. I'll probably chime in on saturday.

I don't know if you have skype otherwise that might be helpfull for a quicker and more clear conversation. If you have, hit me with a PM and details how to find you on skype

regards

- Hans

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-13 17:57:44

Vettaville-nl wrote:

I can't play at volume, it's already late here. But I can switch both channels amps on the POD HD500 and see the corresponding topology switch on either DT50 seperatly. Can you do the same and see the topology independently switch?

As a sidenote, I'm in Holland so there's a time timedifference, I'll be hitting my bed soon and tomorrow I first have to work and rehearse for a gig where I'm trying to fill for another player, so I can't miss that. I'll probably chime in on saturday.

I don't know if you have skype otherwise that might be helpfull for a quicker and more clear conversation. If you have, hit me with a PM and details how to find you on skype

regards

- Hans

Hi Hans - i appreciate all the time you've spent thinking about my situation.  I've gotten page 9 now and it looks like it should.  I'll be trying it out to see if the performance has been corrected as well and post the results as soon as I've come to a conclusion.

I've given you a "Helpful" so far and will give a Correct if it all works out as that would have been the source of this portion of my ongoing frustrations with all the new gear.  :)

Take care and have a good rehearsal!!

Neal

by Vettaville-nl on 2011-01-13 23:42:42

One other thing that coes to mind is, and I'm sure you looked at it, is the mixer block, be sure to set each amp to one side of the sound spectrum..
If you haven't there could be another reason why you have 'crosstalk' happening.

Thanks for the points, but I'm no L6expert ;-) LOL

Cheers

- Hans

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 23:44:33

Ah hem, so why couldn't you get to page 9?

Had you not updated the firmware?

Was the link to the HDxxx +DT50 manual any help at all?

It would be great to know what the problem was that you were experiencing so others might be able to avoid the same difficulties.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-13 23:46:43

MerlinFL wrote:

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

Cheers,

Crusty

Perhaps it has something to do with the latest updates for both the DT50 line and the POD HD line with HD EDIT.  Not sure what problems or bugs these updates might have resolved, but I know it has made EDIT much worse where it now randomly blows out all the presets I've built.  So each time I make any new change, I save the patch, the bundle, and the set list just to make sure I KEEP my work safe & saved.  Did not have this problem BEFORE the latest update.  I might roll it back until a newer update comes out.

Take care,

Neal

Then this would mean that the information I provided is indeed correct.

Cheers,

Crusty

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-15 16:09:33

There ya go Crusty - full point for a correct answer.  If only others were as ind to me with all the info I've provide over the years.

I should be an expert for several pieces of L6 gear by this point in time, but obviously not.

Cheers,

Neal

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.